• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Perhaps a Coastal Storm on March 2nd for SNE????

USCAPEWEATHERAF

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

You know the writing is on the wall when some of the main posters fade away in the thread through the day.

Any snow is good snow at the end of the day.... but 3” is a far cry from 15” some models were showing yesterday. Big time fail for most guidance... no spin necessary 

Many said not to buy that because it didn’t make sense. So shame on those that did. 

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Many said not to buy that because it didn’t make sense. So shame on those that did. 

I never bought it...but it was still modeled. I have been on the conservative train with this one.... we were sitting in a precarious position for big snow, and we got porked.

now we see what we can salvage, if much at all. Some of the short range stuff looks like 2” here and that’s about it 

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I never bought it...but it was still modeled. I have been on the conservative train with this one.... we were sitting in a precarious position for big snow, and we got porked.

now we see what we can salvage, if much at all. Some of the short range stuff looks like 2” here and that’s about it 

I never bought the uber solutions, but took the bait on moderate...hook, like and sinker.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I mean...show me closed mid levels at hour 12, and you'll get me every time. Almost need to just blindly forecast as little snow as possible, at this point....only thing that works this season.

To be fair, the inflow is not good. You close off a mid level low with 50kts of inflow and you get a different result. 

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Thanks.

Where do you look to determine that, 250mb winds?

850-700.  850 has a weak LLJ and H7 is still virtually open and weak inflow. It’s not the end all be all, but something I noticed. Usually when we get the good banding, we get H7-H5 convergence or deformation by packing the thermo gradient with strong winds. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

850-700.  850 has a weak LLJ and H7 is still virtually open and weak inflow. It’s not the end all be all, but something I noticed. Usually when we get the good banding, we get H7-H5 convergence or deformation by packing the thermo gradient with strong winds. 

Man, what a rough season. As much as I'd like to forget it, need to learn from it.

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

So if I looked at hour 12 and instead of open I saw a H7 closed contour that would be much better given that h85 has one?

The main post-mortem reasons were there from the beginning:

- flat H5 with barely a kink in the flow

- diffuse piecemeal vorticity that never really consolidates

The 18z models Thurs showed how it could possibly all work out, and we’ve been selectively looking to corroborate that since...

Another wishful WV watch (I remember Tip mocking us for some late night vigils we held with Messenger hoping for satellite / radar trends that never materialized). Sometimes they do pay off.

I criticize myself for getting swept in the groupthink... like “convective feedback”, we collectively chase overconfident posts and go down a track that might be wrong.

To be fair, lots of maps out there may bust high including NWS. And overall pretty piss poor performance by all guidance, ensembles to short term hi res models.

12 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

The main post-mortem reasons were there from the beginning:

- flat H5 with barely a kink in the flow

- diffuse piecemeal vorticity that never really consolidates

The 18z models Thurs showed how it could possibly all work out, and we’ve been selectively looking to corroborate that since...

Another wishful WV watch (I remember Tip mocking us for some late night vigils we held with Messenger hoping for satellite / radar trends that never materialized)

I criticize myself for getting swept in the groupthink... there’s a lot of “convective feedback” in overconfident posts here, and we collectively go down a track that might be wrong.

To be fair, lots of maps out there may bust high including NWS. And overall pretty piss poor performance by all guidance, ensembles to short term hi res models.

I’m having a hard time thinking this is a bust looking at the current radar.  Just saying 

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I’m having a hard time thinking this is a bust looking at the current radar.  Just saying 

Maybe wishful thinking but the last HRRR/RAP run got a bit more potent further north. The radar does look encouraging coming into this area at least. Hopefully the sleet stops advancing-the same models change it over to snow when it gets going around NYC. But 0.5-1 degree too cold at 850 and it's mostly pellets. 

19 minutes ago, weathafella said:

There really is tons of convection blowing up over southeast PA heading northeast... that would be a great sign... problem is how much this stuff circled below yanks everything east

1am_03_02_2019.jpg.ea31c919fb943448cb22a08ebf98f582.jpg

Greatest pressure falls are also by SEPA / NJ... not much and those can jump around but if we can continue that, we may have something going...

55996551_Pressurefallsmap1am.jpg.4656b9377fe791d7cc1d28b603184500.jpg

9 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

There really is tons of convection blowing up over southeast PA heading northeast... that would be a great sign... problem is how much this stuff circled below yanks everything east

1am_03_02_2019.jpg.ea31c919fb943448cb22a08ebf98f582.jpg

Greatest pressure falls are also by SEPA / NJ... not much and those can jump around but if we can continue that, we may have something going...

55996551_Pressurefallsmap1am.jpg.4656b9377fe791d7cc1d28b603184500.jpg

I'm on team "stuff circled below", but crazy how much this is a nowcast event with the ludicrous shifts within 24 hours. And then we have the next event under 48 hours out subject to the same shifts based on this event. Glad I'm not doing this for a living tonight. Lots of egg about to be splattered on someone's face. 

3 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

0z Euro southeast by a good amount... warning limited to Cape, advisory southeastern 1/2 of SNE

So Cape special?  When my fanny is actually firmly parked on the elbow in Brewster......wheeeeeee!!!!!  I am looking at current radar and man if I hadn't read in here I'd think a foot is on the way......that doesn't look half bad unless it just hits a wall and scoots due east.......I'm sure something will happen and I'll get porked like every other god damn POS storm this season.....lol

• Haha 1