Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Re-Awakening - February 12-14th Redeveloper

Baroclinic Zone

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The ship has sailed on the coastal saving the day.

mmm 'pends on what one means by 'day saving'

If snow?  ...that ship sailed 10 days ago. I don't think other than that one historic bomb run of the 18z GFS four days ago, this ever looked like a snow storm.

That said, the amount of secondary being depicted is saving though - whether the models 'see' the boundary layer or not, the low skirting just S of RI is going to slam the door shut on just liquid penetrating N of the CT/RI/MA nexus. The wind NW of PVD is going to be N below about 920 mb or so, regardless of what the models are indicating with those pressure pattern curves. 

That's ZR...

So, if by saving we mean "just rain" versus something else?  It's a pretty good savior as is -

20 minutes ago, weathafella said:

What?  Harv backed way off that as we got closer.  I’d take Harvey’s forecast tomorrow evening to the bank.  I didn’t see Burbank’s map but latitude should play better than what is being depicted.

I'd take Harv over anyone, but he struggled in that event. Key is to not have to backpedal imo. It was clear he was too aggressive early.

• Like 1

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

mmm 'pends on what one means by 'day saving'

If snow?  ...that ship sailed 10 days ago. I don't think other than that one historic bomb run of the 18z GFS four days ago, this ever looked like a snow storm.

That said, the amount of secondary being depicted is saving though - whether the models 'see' the boundary layer or not, the low is going to slam the door shot on just liquid penetrating N of the CT/RI/MA nexus. The wind NW of PVD is going to be N below about 920 mb or so, regardless of what the models are indicating with those pressure pattern curves. 

That's ZR...

So, if by saving we mean "just rain" versus something else?  It's a pretty good savior as is -

Yes...snow.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yes...snow.

Well... okay... then it's still not a loss and some saving is happening (haha)

seriously though...if we front end 4-8" across the area...then transition to PL/ZR...that snow isn't going anywhere. 

But I know what you mean. 

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Well... okay... then it's still not a loss and some saving is happening (haha)

seriously though...if we front end 4-8" across the area...then transition to PL/ZR...that snow isn't going anywhere. 

But I know what you mean. 

Yea, I just meant "saving the day" within the context of snowfall. No one is doubting colder outcomes at the surface.

40 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We will see. You have been humping the NAM this year with good results. I am thinking the whole column stays colder longer.

38 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Maybe. It def had a bit more qpf as snow down here regardless of the final northern extent of the mix. 

I mean we’re still dealing with the NAM in its synoptically challenged time frame. Yeah Steve, I trust it more with the mid level temps in these when we get inside 24-36hrs, but if it’s off synoptically beyond 48hr that could obviously affect thermals and the WCB. It’s clearly 3hr slower with the dryslot on this run so I’m not taking anything from it verbatim. I’ve just been giving friends and fam the typical climo for these...expect 6-10” and probably some sleet. 

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I mean we’re still dealing with the NAM in its synoptically challenged time frame. Yeah Steve, I trust it more with the mid level temps in these when we get inside 24-36hrs, but if it’s off synoptically beyond 48hr that could obviously affect thermals and the WCB. It’s clearly 3hr slower with the dryslot on this run so I’m not taking anything from it verbatim. I’ve just been giving friends and fam the typical climo for these...expect 6-10” and probably some sleet. 

What are you giving your fam in CT?

• Haha 1