Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Now looking under the hood, what has room to trend in our favor to make this a mostly snow event? (Stronger 50/50? And would we have to pull off a colder solution without a -NAO?)

We're just going to have to wait awhile. There are 3 shortwaves in front of the potential and none of those 3 are resolved yet. Potential is there. Mixed event is favored. And any outcome is possible. That won't change until probably sometime this weekend. 

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Noticed the same thing...get that high to trens stronger the next few runs and we might be even more in business! :D

This is a good lesson for midlevel panels. Look at the wind barbs. See where south meets north way up in VT/NH? That's where the confluence is. WAY too far north for us to get an all snow event. It's equally as important to track the trend with confluence as it is with high pressure placement. 

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

This is a good lesson for midlevel panels. Look at the wind barbs. See where south meets north way up in VT/NH? That's where the confluence is. WAY too far north for us to get an all snow event. It's equally as important to track the trend with confluence as it is with high pressure placement. 

About those wind barbs.... at which level should I be looking at? 850mb?

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

We're just going to have to wait awhile. There are 3 shortwaves in front of the potential and none of those 3 are resolved yet. Potential is there. Mixed event is favored. And any outcome is possible. That won't change until probably sometime this weekend. 

Yeah I was gonna say that I was wondering if there was a scenario where one of the first two waves acts as a 50/50 as it departs...

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

High is retreating so no confluence or 50/50 to lock it in. Basically it just gets bullied. I can easily see how it could be more snow or even all snow but at the same token I can see how it could be just ZR to rain. Not a good setup for all snow so I'm expecting a mixed event of some variety unless a semblance of a 50/50 or confluence starts showing up.  

I see, thanks.  When you just look at the MSLP panels that high to the N was huge improvement over 0z...as Ji mentioned.  But the primary gets all the way up Erie....

5 minutes ago, Fozz said:

About those wind barbs.... at which level should I be looking at? 850mb?

850 and 500 but 850 is the most important when it comes to marginal and ptype. The issue is we have ridging in front of the shortwave. The hp could be 1060mbs and still retreat. A transient 50/50 could turn the whole thing into a monster event. EPS will be interesting to see if mid and upper levels are degrading or improving. Ultimately we want northerly midlevel flow as precip is on the doorstep and that will require flat/confluent flow in the mids and upper levels no further north than say NYC but central PA would be better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

not to deb but look at the trend.  its continuing to shift north and its only Tuesday. with nothing to really keep it south there is little to stop north trend to a point of course.  I think it's not that great for DC metro as is compared to previous.   

Trend? Did this not just sort of appear on our radar yesterday? Maybe the night before?

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

850 and 500 but 850 is the most important when it comes to marginal and ptype. The issue is we have ridging in front of the shortwave. The hp could be 1060mbs and still retreat. A transient 50/50 could turn the whole thing into a monster event. EPS will be interesting to see if mid and upper levels are degrading or improving. Ultimately we want northerly midlevel flow as precip is on the doorstep and that will require flat/confluent flow in the mids and upper levels no further south than say NYC but central PA would be better. 

Could one of the first two waves do the trick?

Here's another good visual. The space between the tough in the west and 50/50 is too wide so ridging pokes northward. The lobe over Hudson needs to press down to the Great Lakes in order to force the storm underneath us. It's possible for sure but this panel shows how far away we are for a nice all snow event. 

ecmwf_z500a_nhem_8.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Could one of the first two waves do the trick?

Sure. The panel I just posted shows the 50/50 too far east and not effective so either that has to be located further west or the lobe in between the trough in the west and 50/50 needs to be a good bit south. A lot of days in front of us and the whole event could end up being nothing close to what we're already seeing. Just pointing out features to watch. 

• Thanks 1

DT Aleeting hours ago --- LOL! People all talking that he had ended winter.. that was until he didn't.. LOL! As far as the pattern, I am very worried about a lot of close calls more than ice. Also, we are too close to the bullseye on Saturday.. it will likely shift north and that again could leave some heartbreak. The pattern is almost good but not great! Seems like it may be great when I am out of town the last week of Feb though. 

• Like 1

We need to keep the D8+ deal in perspective a little. We just drilled down to fine details on an op run with more than a week to go. lol. Before we get to that period we still need to get through the current departing storm and 3 additional shortwaves embedded in the flow. The cascading effect of each feature greatly reduces accuracy as time goes on. The only guidance we should drill down with the details are the ensembles. 

1 minute ago, midatlanticweather said:

DT Aleeting hours ago --- LOL! People all talking that he had ended winter.. that was until he didn't.. LOL! As far as the pattern, I am very worried about a lot of close calls more than ice. Also, we are too close to the bullseye on Saturday.. it will likely shift north and that again could leave some heartbreak. The pattern is almost good but not great! Seems like it may be great when I am out of town the last week of Feb though. 

we got some breathing room lol. image.thumb.png.fa602f9f3507620887bcd621b2b03b58.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We need to keep the D8+ deal in perspective a little. We just drilled down to fine details on an op run with more than a week to go. lol. Before we get to that period we still need to get through the current departing storm and 3 additional shortwaves embedded in the flow. The cascading effect of each feature greatly reduces accuracy as time goes on. The only guidance we should drill down with the details are the ensembles. 

the euro was all over the saturday storm just a few days ago. ecmwf_T850a_us_8.png

• Haha 1