Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Begins Jan 20th AWT

40/70 Benchmark

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Definitely a juicy system, though I'm a bit skeptical of 2"+ for QPF right now north of the low level warm front. But we've got big time gulf moisture fetch...like basically the entire length of the gulf. So this won't be the type of SWFE that is mostly N stream and gives 0.60-0.70" of QPF...I'd def expect more. We're also riding the WCB longer than a typical SWFE. More like 12-15 hours instead of 6-8 hours.

I expect some wobbles in track...not locking this, as I could see a bit more amped solutions and a cut in QPF as we get closer. But this general idea is the outcome to expect imo.

Haven't done a first call...will tonight. But thinking 6-10" N of pike, 4-8" down to I 84, and less south.

Just now, dryslot said:

Some should be more weary of this ticking back NW.

I'm kind of expecting the classic "latent heat" north tick inside the final 36-48 hours....once the models see all the convection in the warm sector down in the southeast to pump the heights up. That seems to happen a lot. Tons of resistance though with this arctic airmass. Good battle which also why the QPF is impressive....very rich gulf moisture being thrown into arctic air.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm kind of expecting the classic "latent heat" north tick inside the final 36-48 hours....once the models see all the convection in the warm sector down in the southeast to pump the heights up. That seems to happen a lot. Tons of resistance though with this arctic airmass. Good battle which also why the QPF is impressive....very rich gulf moisture being thrown into arctic air.

You think sleet or zr is the predominant Ptype based on this synopsis?

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's why for some here, Its more critical to get a couple more tics SE, I'd like to be right in that battle line zone which i believe will be away from the coast.

23 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

How about the Euro with a -1F 2m temp at 18z Monday. 

UGH  I love and need snow but also want my diesal tractor with its snowblower to start, as well.  Super low temps plus diesel=frustration.  Should have installed that block heater but how often are we clearing plowable snow at single digit or below temps?  Never!

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

but keep in mind... if compression starts turning the trough rotation more positive, that will cut QPF realization - 

it's just one of a myriad of possibilities still out there -  Plus, I've seen these open wavy ludicrous flow systems tend to move in and out quicker than modeled, so in-storm correction/now-cast may prove that as QPF total limitation to some degree as well...  

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You think sleet or zr is the predominant Ptype based on this synopsis?

Not sure if it will be the dominating ptype...I'm expecting a lot of SNE to get a good thump of snow on the front end. But there's definitely not a huge gap between that and a lot more ZR. I still in my gut think more IP than ZR if we flip over....the airmass is frigid. Gonna need to really torch aloft to get ZR. +3C warm layer isn't gonna get the job done in this setup i don't think.

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

but keep in mind... if compression starts turning the trough rotation more positive, that will cut QPF realization - 

it's just one of a myriad of possibilities still out there -  Plus, I've seen these open wavy ludicrous flow systems tend to move in and out quicker than modeled, so in-storm correction/now-cast may prove that as QPF total limitation to some degree as well...  

Good, So now we can go from being 87 hrs out to 84....................:lol: