Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Awesome. That is nice to see.

Still work to do verbatim on the mean but definitely a good trend. I think most people here would even take a solid advisory event if offered right now...I get that we all prefer the blockbuster. 

But an advisory event would be a sufficient appetizer for me given the pattern coming up afterwards. 

• Like 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Still work to do verbatim on the mean but definitely a good trend. I think most people here would even take a solid advisory event if offered right now...I get that we all prefer the blockbuster. 

But an advisory event would be a sufficient appetizer for me given the pattern coming up afterwards. 

Yes. Still enough time for anything, but I think a moderate a event is a reasonable goal at this point.

Just to be clear, I have never said that we won't see anything prior to 1/20. I just think that the trend to the more favorable period is completing by then, thus we are more prone to big tickets.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Wilmington or Weymouth...way too early to get a feel. Hell if it’s 2-4” does it matter? I’ll be happy with the ground white. This pattern is one of the worst things I’ve ever lived through. 

I agree. The pattern has been awful. 11/4 inches of snow during the last 7 weeks.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

So agree. It would soothe the soul. I’m not proud saying this, but it’s amazing how much better my mood is with something impending....even if it’s an advisory. Nothing more aggravating then looking ahead and seeing a CONUS wide Chinook for days. 

• Like 6

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yes. Still enough time for anything, but I think a moderate a event is a reasonable goal at this point.

Just to be clear, I have never said that we won't see anything prior to 1/20. I just think that the trend to the more favorable period is completing by then, thus we are more prone to big tickets.

Yeah I don't disagree. We've scored even pretty big events (like 10-15") in semi-shit patterns before....but it's a lot easier to get them in good patterns. 

I think the easiest way to describe what is going on is:

1. 1/1-1/10 is better than Dec 20-1/1 but still not very good

2. 1/10-1/20 is better than 1/1-1/10 but still not great...but getting there. We will have some legit chances most likely.

3. 1/20-2/1 is ripe for bigger events and sustained cold.  

But sometimes we sneak in a pretty nice event during the transition too so we def can't sleep on these threats the next 10 days or so. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

So agree. It would soothe the soul. I’m not proud saying this, but it’s amazing how much better my mood is with something impending....even if it’s an advisory. Nothing more aggravating then looking ahead and seeing a CONUS wide Chinook for days. 

Oh snow definitely increases my mood and I don't think we are alone in that.  Snowy days are good days.

Also, we still may get a brief torch but I've noticed the 1/16-1/18 period that looked warmer on EC ensembles previously are getting muted and turning into a window of interest the last couple runs. Recall that the 1/12-1/13 period at one time looked like a cutter on some guidance but it got colder and colder we got inside of 9 days or so. 

That split flow El Niño look is doing a number on preventing the milder air from getting too far east. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I don't disagree. We've scored even pretty big events (like 10-15") in semi-shit patterns before....but it's a lot easier to get them in good patterns. 

I think the easiest way to describe what is going on is:

1. 1/1-1/10 is better than Dec 20-1/1 but still not very good

2. 1/10-1/20 is better than 1/1-1/10 but still not great...but getting there. We will have some legit chances most likely.

3. 1/20-2/1 is ripe for bigger events and sustained cold.  

But sometimes we sneak in a pretty nice event during the transition too so we def can't sleep on these threats the next 10 days or so. 

Absolute, 100% agreement.

Also, we still may get a brief torch but I've noticed the 1/16-1/18 period that looked warmer on EC ensembles previously are getting muted and turning into a window of interest the last couple runs. Recall that the 1/12-1/13 period at one time looked like a cutter on some guidance but it got colder and colder we got inside of 9 days or so. 

That split flow El Niño look is doing a number on preventing the milder air from getting too far east. 

I’m just posting about that. That’s now a threat verbatim. Ridge pops out west and a little confluence to the northeast. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I’m just posting about that. That’s now a threat verbatim. Ridge pops out west and a little confluence to the northeast. 

And the troughing undercuts the ridge and prevents the plains chinook from reaching us. The SE Canada PV love isn't hurting of course. But I'm really starting to like the El Niño look to the south. 

And the troughing undercuts the ridge and prevents the plains chinook from reaching us. The SE Canada PV love isn't hurting of course. But I'm really starting to like the El Niño look to the south. 

Yeah we finally see some blues in the south at 500 and now oranges and reds. That’s defintely niño saying hello.

Just now, Spanks45 said:

Is that the beginning of the pattern change I see on the EPS now within the 10 day window?

It more or less starts this weekend. Of course 00z run may not look as good but hot dam this eps run is stormy. It may not be very cold verbatim, but give me the QPF and I’ll show you chances of wintry weather.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

It more or less starts this weekend. Of course 00z run may not look as good but hot dam this eps run is stormy. It may not be very cold verbatim, but give me the QPF and I’ll show you chances of wintry weather.

Yesterday's 12z eps had one member that gave our region 30-40" of snow through 15 days and that was with next weekend missing, there was 2 big ones, one right after another....good signs at least.

7 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Snow allows us to understand the greatness of Mother Nature and if you believe in God than it increases your belief in the Lord.  Not to sound like a religious nut, but it allows me to enjoy this wonderful act of nature.

Of course those religious people who suffer from snow may have a different take...

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic