Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, BombsAway1288 said:

Well if it continues to look like this the media/public hype train will start early. I’ve already heard someone say this morning about a possible “blizzard” for the Patriots game over the air. Here we go smh

Bingo. Last Thursday I had co-workers talking matter-of-factly about the "snowstorm" that was going to hit Boston this Wednesday; even had someone seriously propose canceling an off-site meeting. Throw in the Foxboro element and this will quickly become a major talking point.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah. I'm not too worried about an overly amped solution with where the ridge is out west and the high placement. Ridge is centered right over Montana...that is like a 2015 placement where you either get hit or it slips east. We'd need it digging into like the Yucatán to worry too much. 

If the euro comes around a bit, we at least have a decent chance of advisory from the nrn stream perhaps. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If the euro comes around a bit, we at least have a decent chance of advisory from the nrn stream perhaps. 

Yeah. I had mentioned that even the way seaward solution last night still gave us like an inch of light snow because the N stream tries to pull the diffuse IVT back a little and produce lift. It's not a bad look that far out though. Anecdotally, the northern stream stuff tends to come it a bit stronger when it is out of the under sampled regions in the Arctic. 

Yeah ...so seeing this 12z GFS... it's variant in the stream phasing - as other's are noting - which underscores the points about having to have been perfect about those delicate facets of both amplitude and timing interactions from a lengthy D6 perch when considering that pricey 00z solution. 

It may be that we contend with a frets and starts of big Kahoona storms that disappear and come back in other guidances over the next two days... I think the 96 hour lead is a decent broadly acceptable "begin to take seriously" sort of benchmark but...even then, we have to remember that Boxing Day short term corrections  (no analog but conceptually...) can still take place too... 

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah ...so seeing this 12z GFS... it's variant in the stream phasing - as other's are noting - which underscores the points about having to have been perfect about those delicate facets of both amplitude and timing interactions from a lengthy D6 perch when considering that pricey 00z solution. 

It may be that we contend with a frets and starts of big Kahoona storms that disappear and come back in other guidances over the next two days... I think the 96 hour lead is a decent broadly acceptable "begin to take seriously" sort of benchmark but...even then, we have to remember that Boxing Day short term corrections  (no analog but conceptually...) can still take place too... 

Yea, we have good consensus on a big hit mid week, then fine...but I'm skeptical right now. Odds of nailing the behavior of both streams during a time of hemispheric flux are slim.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Good luck with it.

Mid month isn't that out of sync with anything, but I'm just skeptical at this lead.

I’m busting. I agree that a timing issue during a transition period can go both ways. And how unlucky we’ve been to this point doesn’t bear confidence we can time the streams right. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, we have good consensus on a big hit mid week, then fine...but I'm skeptical right now. Odds of nailing the behavior of both streams during a time of hemispheric flux are slim.

Until something eases the raging zonal flow ...these phases are a excellent chance to be mental masturbation 

they will trend weaker and more elongated and the timing of two streams phasing with no semblance of much to slow them down is the reason the modeling craps the bed on mid range “phasers” lately.

unless something creates some traffic in Atlantic to shake things up the ceiling for any weekend event will be 6” at best and likely a miss or less

and models will catch on between 72 and 120 hrs.... early December was bad luck ...these storms lately not working out or phasing is a bad pattern that models struggle with 

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Until something eases the raging zonal flow ...these phases are a excellent chance to be mental masturbation 

they will trend weaker and more elongated and the timing of two streams phasing with no semblance of much to slow them down is the reason the modeling craps the bed on mid range “phasers” lately.

unless something creates some traffic in Atlantic to shake things up the ceiling for any weekend event will be 6” at best and likely a miss or less

Exactly my thoughts...moderate at best.

17 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Exactly my thoughts...moderate at best.

To be honest, I care a bit less than usual what models show at day 3-7. In this pattern of fast zonal flow from mid pacific to W Atlantic and with split flow component you can with decent likelihood wait for the models to trend “ to the likely outcome such a pattern produces” no phasing , elongated , strung out. There are exceptions possible but those are just those . I don’t necessarily even care what the models show now at 12z or 0z tonite , can’t recall a pattern where this was this much the case 

If I can figure this out , most posters should be able to lol.

Weenies ...The models will trend toward the fast zonal flow of the pattern (which is awful for storms) take day 5-7 phasers w a grain of salt ...until the flow slows down prepare to have “bad luck “

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

To be honest, I care a bit less than usual what models show at day 3-7. In this pattern of fast zonal flow from mid pacific to W Atlantic and with split flow component you can with decent likelihood wait for the models to trend “ to the likely outcome such a pattern produces” no phasing , elongated , strung out. There are exceptions possible but those are just those . I don’t necessarily even care what the models show now at 12z or 0z tonite , can’t recall a pattern where this was this much the case 

Its changing, though....this one maybe a bit too early, we'll see.

• Like 1

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic