Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2019

Upstate Tiger

2 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

I'm saving this post Bob.  Won't hold it against you when I am sowing grass and playing golf in late Feb.  Hope you are right!

Snow is always subject to luck and chaos so you never know until you are shoveling. However, I'm very confident on an extended period of BN temps. It's going to feel like winter and it's not going to hit and run either. If anything changes I'll come back and delete all my posts here. lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Queencitywx said:

Coldest I’ve ever seen. It’s not even close.

D3FD793B-2C7F-4462-9B46-878544F35E80.png

That would translate to some chilly surface temps.  I doubt the magnitude of that kind of cold around here.  But still, having an expansive arctic air mass in the vicinity, with a nice snow pack to the north, will definitely widen the window for some wintry weather around these parts.

Just now, Cold Rain said:

That would translate to some chilly surface temps.  I doubt the magnitude of that kind of cold around here.  But still, having an expansive arctic air mass in the vicinity, with a nice snow pack to the north, will definitely widen the window for some wintry weather around these parts.

Yeah, that’s a big factor in my mind. Gonna be a lot of snow laid in the next week so there won’t be moderation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Thanks for your post.  I didn't read the 850 mb temp portion originally on QC's map, and was like... :blink::blink:.  Mind you, it's still crazy cold to have 850s that cold, but still not the same as reading -30 as my surface temp.  :D

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

The window is shut

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Seeking out a winter storm prior to next weekend is a bit cart before the horse IMO (and as others have mentioned).  Here is the GFS Ensemble Mean for days 0-10.  As long as it continues to hold, the kickoff to a colder regime begins with this ridge building up along the western North America coast.  That ridge goes up at day 5 now.

5Be71cf.gif

Now here is a trend loop of the last 16 runs over the past 4 days of the GFS Ensemble Mean for Jan 28 (at day 10).  The axis of the western ridging has trended east with it initially more thru Alaska, but now it's closer to the W Canada coast.  This is a good position in between pure Alaska ridging (-EPO) which can sometimes be too far west (sometimes the U.S. trough can be too far west), and pure Western Canada ridging (+PNA) which can sometimes be too far east (cold, but sometimes on the dry side).  Also, the polar blocking on the trend loop has waxed and waned, but the latest few images show a bit more Greenland blocking (-NAO).

LLv8amI.gif

• Like 1

• Wow unpinned and locked this topic