Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Grinch 2018 Screamin Sou'easter Disco and Obs

CT Valley Snowman

7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

So we need to deal with weenie wind gust images too. :lmao:

I'm actually really curious. The old Eta used to use momentum flux between the surface and the lowest model layer, it's possible the NAM still does that. But this also seems to match the 1000 ft wind speed fairly closely, but obviously 1000 ft will be well above the inversion in this event.

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Maybe PF's jacking will continue, It can get far enough west, But in this instance i wouldn't mind ripping the dryslot thru here.

Powderfreak has embraced the icy death chutes around Christmas. I think he has started to plan annual events at Stowe too...like pond skimming on all the water that will collect on top of the frozen ice during the peak of the storm...and then they do ice sculpting with the huge chunks of slush that have refrozen once the storm ends. The kids love watching that activity. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Powderfreak has embraced the icy death chutes around Christmas. I think he has started to plan annual events at Stowe too...like pond skimming on all the water that will collect on top of the frozen ice during the peak of the storm...and then they do ice sculpting with the huge chunks of slush that have refrozen once the storm ends. The kids love watching that activity. 

Get your picture taken with Santa above the inversion at the picnic tables.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

As many season recently, Just bad timing with the holidays and people taking ski vacations, This one looks to be extra special as you actually may be able to go water tubing under the chair line back to the lodge.

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ha we've already got next year's Grinch Storm activities planned.  

Pencil it in for Dec 20-25 time frame.  We roll with the 2.2F temp increase around that time of year. Good climo planning tool lol.

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

As many season recently, Just bad timing with the holidays and people taking ski vacations, This one looks to be extra special as you actually may be able to go water tubing under the chair line back to the lodge.

lol.  I still think we've got a shot at the mid-level dry slot between the better forcing on the coastal plain and upper level stuff back west in NY/Quebec/Ontario.  

It wont be pretty but selfishly I don't get to ski as much nor do I want to during that time frame...so not the worst time personally for a thaw.  Then let the pow come back when everyone goes home on Jan 1st lol.  

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Tell them the story about VDay 2007. Powderfreak's :weenie: grew 3 sizes that day.

I'm just laughing at the idea of getting someone dressed up as the Grinch to wander the base area taking photos with kids in the puddles.  That'd be hysterical.

Little kids being read stories of deep powder snow, trees covered in snow that look like British Columbia mixed with Japan, holiday lights and a place that can snow 8-10 days in a row.  Only to find a 70kt SE jet destroying their dreams.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

lol.  I still think we've got a shot at the mid-level dry slot between the better forcing on the coastal plain and upper level stuff back west in NY/Quebec/Ontario.  

It wont be pretty but selfishly I don't get to ski as much nor do I want to during that time frame...so not the worst time personally for a thaw.  Then let the pow come back when everyone goes home on Jan 1st lol.  

Kind of like when i want to be first tracks once the groomer did the trails, For selfish reasons of course, Hog all the powder for yourself..................:lol:

From my Dec 12th post

I see this as a strong transition week off the pattern reshuffle as we revert back to the stormy cold pattern which established itself in mid October. There is an outside chance we see some decent snow either Christmas eve or day, the better chance for a significant storm with heavy snow just away from the coast and near coastal rains ending as heavy snow could occur around the 27th. I am watching the 21st to 23rd as a possible big storm with heavy precip rain coast snow inland areas of SNE, if it occurs as a strong coastal storm, tides are high and will need to be watched.

Coastal Flood Warning now posted for parts of Long Island Sound. Expect widespread inundation of low lying areas. #nbcct

Du4kU9XX4AADtZn.jpg

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Seriously reminds me of Superstorm 93 without any cold

Heard back about the NAM nest wind gusts. It uses bulk Richardson Number to determine if wind will turbulently mix down. They used to have a vertical theta check for stability, but that is no longer part of the derivation. So areas over land where it thinks there is snow will have a smaller boundary layer, thus smaller gusts. But I think the problem here is the layer calculation, the Richardson Number allows for a larger PBL height, so higher gusts than these soundings support.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Heard back about the NAM nest wind gusts. It uses bulk Richardson Number to determine if wind will turbulently mix down. They used to have a vertical theta check for stability, but that is no longer part of the derivation. So areas over land where it thinks there is snow will have a smaller boundary layer, thus smaller gusts. But I think the problem here is the layer calculation, the Richardson Number allows for a larger PBL height, so higher gusts than these soundings support.

Thanks, the Euro/GFS seem stout as well

download.png

Okay, I've taken a stab at verses one and two . . . have at the rest!

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch
You really are all wet
You're as snowy as  the tropics, with your subtropical jet, Mr. Grinch
You're a roaring sou'easter and you're making us fret!

You're a monster, Mr. Grinch
Our ground is bare and brown
Your rain will leave us flooded, and our sorrows we must drown, Mr. Grinch
But Kev will still be happy if all his trees come tumbling down!

[Verse 3]
You're a vile one, Mr. Grinch
You have termites in your smile
You have all the tender sweetness of a seasick crocodile, Mr. Grinch
Given a choice between the two of you I'd take the seasick crocodile!

[Verse 4]
You're a foul one, Mr. Grinch
You're a nasty-wasty skunk
Your heart is full of unwashed socks, your soul is full of gunk, Mr. Grinch
The three words that best describe you are as follows, and I quote
"Stink, stank, stunk!"

[Verse 5]
You're a rotter, Mr. Grinch
You're the king of sinful sots
Your heart's a dead tomato splotched with moldy purple spots, Mr. Grinch
Your soul is an appalling dump heap overflowing with the most disgraceful
Assortment of deplorable rubbish imaginable, mangled up in tangled up knots!

[Verse 6]
You nauseate me, Mr. Grinch
With a nauseous super "naus"!
You're a crooked dirty jockey and you drive a crooked hoss, Mr. Grinch
You're a three decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich with arsenic sauce!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4