Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion II

Typhoon Tip

29 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

People ask about the pattern bc they want snow...I don't know that the perils of this pattern could have been articulated any more clearly than they were. The cold is there, but it dumps west, so we need good timing to avoid cutters. Its been said over and over that the very favorable period is later in Jan and beyond.

Agree, it will most likely snow in the heart of Winter.

5 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I'm kind of hoping this winter is a fail just to see everyone break down. Nearly every major forecaster said this winter will be snowy and/or colder than normal. 

High stakes, 01/02 style.

I get what you’re saying but consider recent ratters.   2001-02 had no cold air anywhere in NOAM-none.  A one eyed beast from October through March.   2011-12 similar excluding the October storm.  This year we have cold air available and will get snow....it will or won’t be above normal but I just don’t see it resembling those severe ratters.   BTW ratter is one of the word descriptions I invented..it came out of “this pattern blows dead rats”.

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I get what you’re saying but consider recent ratters.   2001-02 had no cold air anywhere in NOAM-none.  A one eyed beast from October through March.   2011-12 similar excluding the October storm.  This year we have cold air available and will get snow....it will or won’t be above normal but I just don’t see it resembling those severe ratters.   BTW ratter is one of the word descriptions I invented..it came out of “this pattern blows dead rats”.

Heck even on the south coast in 2011 2012 we were 33% of average which in my book is above ratter. 2001 2002 was a ratter for sure

26 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I'm kind of hoping this winter is a fail just to see everyone break down. Nearly every major forecaster said this winter will be snowy and/or colder than normal. 

High stakes, 01/02 style.

Farmers Alm was mild and wet. 

But that one seemed to get swept under the rug. Heh

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yes indeed you have the trademark on that, I claim epicosity lol. We are almost there dude. Like clockwork the negative Nancies will disappear and their alter egos will be posting like they knew all along big winter was about to develop 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Powderboy413 said:

Not going to lie, this place is getting worse by the day.... these cutters are going to ruin some people 

Many posters  have convinced themselves that every winter in SNE is going to feature above normal snowfall and below normal temps. Any dissenting point of view regarding a winter forecast or pattern is quickly dismissed.  Some are too emotionally involved with the weather, something in which they have no control over. 

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yes indeed you have the trademark on that, I claim epicosity lol. We are almost there dude. Like clockwork the negative Nancies will disappear and their alter egos will be posting like they knew all along big winter was about to develop 

I agree.  Watching the eps roll in all I can say is oh boy oh boy oh boy....lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Many posters  have convinced themselves that every winter in SNE is going to feature above normal snowfall and below normal temps. Any dissenting point of view regarding a winter forecast or pattern is quickly dismissed.  Some are too emotionally involved with the weather, something in which they have no control over. 

The thing is this winter will end up above normal for snowfall. Just people on this forum are not patient. They wake up the next morning expecting a huge change in the pattern and it’s not showing up. 

4 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Some people have advanced the theory that climate change for now is enhancing SNE snow totals.  The next 30 year normals we see (2 years from now) will show a big jump in Boston snow climo....May be as much as 10%.   I personally thInk that we do have periods like this and ultimately the price will be paid....maybe in time for me to be too old to live here....lol.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

So the op has at least one maybe two events and the EPS has at least a few potentials. It also starts getting a kick ass look sooner than recent runs. Now of course the runs could go back and forth, but what I see seems to make sense to me. 

Man that 11-15 looks primed!  By the end of the run epic!

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I think the fetish lingo goes back to me lol

7 minutes ago, Powderboy413 said:

The thing is this winter will end up above normal for snowfall. Just people on this forum are not patient. They wake up the next morning expecting a huge change in the pattern and it’s not showing up. 

What are you basing that on in regards to snowfall being above normal for the winter? I do not look at it as being a patience issue. As I mentioned some posters are too involved emotionally with the weather. 

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

What are you basing that on in regards to snowfall being above normal for the winter? I do not look at it as being a patience issue. As I mentioned some posters are too involved emotionally with the weather. 

It’s a backloaded weak modoki El Niño in a low solar year. SSW is en route and we have had above normal precip since mid summer. It’s coming no doubt 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Man that 11-15 looks primed!  By the end of the run epic!

Yeah. I’m sure it may not happen that quick, but after the cutter next week...it’s makkng steps in the right direction. Just be prepared for at least one more liquid scenario after the cutter and be reasonable....but it looks pretty good verbatim. 

4 minutes ago, Greg said:

Not sure I agree with some calling this a back ended winter. January and February seems to be right in the middle.  If it was just February to mostly March, I can see that. Otherwise, um "no".

Front half of winter. December 1-January 15th. Back half is January 15th- March 1st. This will end up being a backloaded winter lol

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Powderboy413 said:

Front half of winter. December 1-January 15th. Back half is January 15th- March 1st. This will end up being a backloaded winter lol

Whatever floats you boat. I still think it starts a little more earlier than Jan15, this I'm pretty sure of and I still call most of March Winter still.