Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2018 General Discussion & Observations

Zelocita Weather

15 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

inland north of 78 or 80 yes - immediate metro NYC a mixed bag rain/snow - little accumulation as of right now - temps borderline at best ………..

Agree as of right now but the cold air is nearby so a shift south or even north isn't out of the question.

This storm has been on the models for a week.

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The CFS may be a good compromise between the GFS and Euro. While the GFS can be over amplified at times, the Euro is often too weak when initialized in phase 5.

1FED607E-E751-4534-9140-F6D5E5BF22F9.gif.119342682eb780db72879fc728ac82cd.gif

71587050-DD8D-403C-92BF-7FA984D6452A.thumb.jpeg.b7b5286533d3e46f22ac16da366ff88b.jpeg

that would bring it into favorable phase 8 during the second week of January after the 7th - during the second week Jan we will probably begin to see the effects of the SSW at the surface also - so that's when we should begin to see consistent cold outbreaks in the east with increased chances of frozen precip...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

that would bring it into favorable phase 8 during the second week of January after the 7th - during the second week Jan we will probably begin to see the effects of the SSW at the surface also - so that's when we should begin to see consistent cold outbreaks in the east with increased chances of frozen precip...

That would fit nicely with with the general 2010’s and El Niño more backloaded winter theme.It has been a challenge getting colder Decembers. 2017, 2010, and 2009 were the only recent years that were able to buck the milder December trend. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NEG NAO said:

fv3p_asnow_neus_31.png

The pattern on Sunday will still be poor for a snowstorm in the metro. It’s not just going to flip conducive in 5 days, it’s going to take time, but it will get there. It’s obvious that the change is coming but not that early, it’s going to take a couple of weeks...

19 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The pattern on Sunday will still be poor for a snowstorm in the metro. It’s not just going to flip conducive in 5 days, it’s going to take time, but it will get there. It’s obvious that the change is coming but not that early, it’s going to take a couple of weeks...

I think it’s mediocre but it can certainly produce 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

So you favor a miss or rain ?

I can't believe people are bypassing Sunday's threat and looking at 2 more weeks.

Euro trended north from 0z and shows a light snow event

Cmc is a miss

Para is amplified but rain

Gfs is amplified but still miss

Gefs is all over

I continue to believe we have a chance next week. The nao will be negative next weekend along with a favorable pna.

8 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

So you favor a miss or rain ?

If something actually happens I think it’s minor and rain, most likely a miss though. You will get your cold and snow pattern come mid January and it probably lasts for awhile, into mid to late February then it’s game over for winter IMO. I don’t think March is going to produce this time. And you don’t need this ridiculously hyped SSW for it to happen, the tropospheric forcing will do it anyway on its own, even without help from the stratosphere. Sunday, in my opinion, is not for us

• Like 1

5 hours ago, snowman19 said:

If something actually happens I think it’s minor and rain, most likely a miss though. You will get your cold and snow pattern come mid January and it probably lasts for awhile, into mid to late February then it’s game over for winter IMO. I don’t think March is going to produce this time. And you don’t need this ridiculously hyped SSW for it to happen, the tropospheric forcing will do it anyway on its own, even without help from the stratosphere. Sunday, in my opinion, is not for us

March probably wont have a historic snow storm, but hey anything in March will be better than how this December has been.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Last 6 days of Dec  are averaging 41degs., or 6degs. AN.   All 8 days averaging 40degs.

Month to date is  +1.1[39.5].    Dec. should end at +2.1[39.9]

EURO is No Snow for 10 days.     GEFS is 40% chance of at least 4" by the 11th.

Starting to look a bit bleak. 

jk 

December temperature departures will get another boost Friday into Saturday. Highs in the 50’s late Friday into early Saturday. Some of the warmest spots in NJ could make another run on 60. So a continuation of the mild December theme of the 2010’s.

35DDEE03-01CF-4789-A020-E9B813AF6F9E.thumb.png.1a6e4d799461313739004d88b2ab60c3.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

That's not saying much-most stations will end December with 0.0 for snow.

If the 30th wave doesn't happen. It can easily come back on the models as we get closer ( might be the typical vanishing time period )

If this wave does fail , I don't see anything good until the 2nd week of January just like everyone has been saying.

I hate losing opportunities in the winter.

2 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

If the 30th wave doesn't happen. It can easily come back on the models as we get closer ( might be the typical vanishing time period )

If this wave does fail , I don't see anything good until the 2nd week of January just like everyone has been saying.

We've had so many nice snowstorms in the past decade, it's bound to swing and miss some years. 

3 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Just now, North and West said:

We've had so many nice snowstorms in the past decade, it's bound to swing and miss some years. 

N and W you are absolutely correct.  Anthony, you have been so good at identifying potential storms and holding firm in your belief that they may impact us---and being correct.  At some point we have to return to normal

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

N and W you are absolutely correct.  Anthony, you have been so good at identifying potential storms and holding firm in your belief that they may impact us---and being correct.  At some point we have to return to normal

Agree and when that does happen , it's going to drive people crazy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

One of the worst Decembers in my lifetime regarding winter weather. 

It can only go up from here. 

That seems a bit extreme; I thought it was interesting being very cold early in the month. Of course, we all enjoy snow, but I thought it was interesting. I could do without so much rain, though.

5 minutes ago, North and West said:

That seems a bit extreme; I thought it was interesting being very cold early in the month. Of course, we all enjoy snow, but I thought it was interesting. I could do without so much rain, though.

Agreed   Very wet month.  And the beginning of the month(cold)should be occurring now and the (relative)warmth of the 2nd half should have occurred in the 1st half

• Like 1

Just now, 495weatherguy said:

Agreed   Very wet month.  And the beginning of the month(cold)should be occurring now and the (relative)warmth of the 2nd half should have occurred in the 1st half

Of course. It's just interesting to see these things as I get older. I'm not as disappointed as my kids; it's good character-building for them to see this after enjoying a snow day in November. 

16 minutes ago, North and West said:

The early cold was a tease, the big snowstorm this month hit the SE, there was no snow, there was way too much rain, constant cutters. Temperature departures will end up at +2 or better. 

Nothing will ever be worse than Dec 2015 but it's in the top 5 worst (last 25-30) years to me.

7 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

The early cold was a tease, the big snowstorm this month hit the SE, there was no snow, there was way too much rain, constant cutters. Temperature departures will end up at +2 or better. 

Nothing will ever be worse than Dec 2015 but it's in the top 5 worst (last 25-30) years to me.

Yes, but we can't control it, and we've been spoiled recently. That's all.