Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
11/21-11/22 Cold/snow shower obs

ORH_wxman

Just now, dendrite said:

When did the obs move to the current location again? A lot of those November records are 1940 or earlier.

Yeah it moved in 1947 so the older ones are prob radiational cooling. It makes it a lot harder for ORH to set record lows but a bit easier for record low maxes. Though I dont think today will matter on the low max...even the old site would probably easily beat it since the record low max for the month at the old site was 22F in 1938. 

29 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Can we not talk politics, it is too polarizing.  I don't come on here to talk politics.  Anyways, the winds turn northerly after 4 pm 21z

You can always choose then, to not engage.  

We generally do keep political commentary out of these threads but we are all human and other topics come in at brief times such as sports children spouses etc.

When the President makes one of his thousands of idiotic comments and it includes weather we can respond and we are all adult enough to not let it take over. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We're pretty strict about keeping politics out of this forum...and in all honesty, political figures of all stripes have a pretty terrible track record on understanding the topic of weather and climate change...some are clearly worse than others, but that's no reason to lower our standards. 

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

You mean weather and climate aren’t the same thing? :blink:

6 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

You can always choose then, to not engage.  

We generally do keep political commentary out of these threads but we are all human and other topics come in at brief times such as sports children spouses etc.

When the President makes one of his thousands of idiotic comments and it includes weather we can respond and we are all adult enough to not let it take over. 

I don't think I have ever made a political post or commented on one on the boards.  I don't even want to know what other board members feel about politics....but...it is very frustrating when the president makes such comments and then I see the tweet  is loved by 82,000.   

Back to obs.   Merry Christmas...woops....Thanksgiving  Partly cloudy, passing stray flakes  6F, 8" on the ground with blowing snow up here on my hill.   

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

I don't think I have ever made a political post or commented on one on the boards.  I don't even want to know what other board members feel about politics....but...it is very frustrating when the president makes such comments and then I see the tweet  is loved by 82,000.   

Back to obs.   Merry Christmas...woops....Thanksgiving  Partly cloudy, passing stray flakes  6F, 8" on the ground with blowing snow up here on my hill.   

Glad you got your first one out of the way now.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Winds will turn northerly this late afternoon into the evening and morning hours of Friday morning from HYA eastward to Provincetown with the greatest threat area from Harwich to Orleans where they should see the heaviest snows this time around.  Stay tuned, the next update could show higher snowfall totals.

Enjoy a flurry 

Everything looks mostly offshore like the NAM right now.  Euro had very light QPF at this point and there’s only been a few flakes at PVC and CQX. Winds are at 300° at both sites right now and that isn’t gonna cut it. You’ll lose some of the westerly component, but not enough for anything major I’m afraid. Hopefully you get some accums though.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Old record for November for CHH was -19.6°C on 11/30/1958. That must be the cold shot that gave MWN their previous record. Next coldest was -16.9°C on 11/22/1987...so the same date as today.

Old CAR record was -23.7°C on 11/14/1986. They pulled a -24.5°C this morning. So new monthly records at all 3 RAOB sites this morning.

Its so interesting we have set a lot of record cold days aloft and at the surface since 2015. The extremes ftw year round. Love the new climate myself.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Everything looks mostly offshore like the NAM right now.  Euro had very light QPF at this point and there’s only been a few flakes at PVC and CQX. Winds are at 300° at both sites right now and that isn’t gonna cut it. You’ll lose some of the westerly component, but not enough for anything major I’m afraid. Hopefully you get some accums though.

A lot of sinking air too as the winds try and turn more northerly due to the high pressure approaching so that is going to hurt chances too. 

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Don't encourage him.  Raking leaves out of forests is like taking the vitamins out of food.

Sitting at the computer, looks like a gorgeous day - bright blue sky, nearly a foot of snow with nice white blobs on the fir and hemlock branches.  Of course, when I went outside to check the max-min and bring in wood, the cold made me glad I'd wussed out on going hunting.  Doubt I'd make 30 minutes on stand, and it's usually been longer than that when deer have appeared.

He might not express it well but I am sure you of all people know how badly the forests are managed especially out west. Environmental groups stopping prescribed burns, no thinning of the forests etc etc.. Man occupies places which burned out every decade or so, you have to manage the risk. Look at the Camp fire, 90% of trees were basically unaffected it was the human structures which burned. I am not going get into politics but these sound bites aren't the real story. We need to balance this all out if we want to live in the forest. 

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

He might not express it well but I am sure you of all people know how badly the forests are managed especially out west. Environmental groups stopping precribed burns, no thinning of the forests. Man occupies places which burned out every decade or so, you have to manage the risk. Look at the Camp fire, 90% of trees were basically unaffected it was the human structures which burned. I am not going get into politics but these sound bites aren't the real story. We need to balance this all out if we want to live in the forest. 

Forest fires are way down since early last century because we stop them so much. Def not healthy for them out there but thats the price of building in those forests. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Forest fires are way down since Earlt last century because we stop them so much. Def not healthy for them out there but thats the price of building in those forests. 

Thank god for all these fire fighters who risk it all. The stories of the rescues are incredible.  One story of how 3 firefighters stayed with a family covered in burn protection blankets while tornadic fire activity rolled over them is insane. They emerged unharmed to see turned over cars and destroyed buildings everywhere. Talk about unselfish acts.

Got down to 9 and now 14.  

I think many on both sides acknowledged that regarding forest management potus was not incorrect but the timing while looking for bodies was in poor taste and insensitive.  My kids and many friends in the SF Bay Area have had terrible air until it rained yesterday.  Now the aftermath of the fires-mudslides and erosion.

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Got down to 9 and now 14.  

I think many on both sides acknowledged that regarding forest management potus was not incorrect but the timing while looking for bodies was in poor taste and insensitive.  My kids and many friends in the SF Bay Area have had terrible air until it rained yesterday.  Now the aftermath of the fires-mudslides and erosion.

Most of my family lives in the SF LA area. At one time , my sister, brother, nephew were either evacuated or on alert for evacuation.  Thankfully they were unaffected after all, but they and the kids have had to deal with smoke on and off for a year.