Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
November 15-16 First Frozen Obs/Nowcast

WxUSAF

5 hours ago, WhiteoutMD said:

Sorry about your dad :( winter will not be the same without you around.  Take care and thanks for all your weather enthusiasm you brought to the board.  I know you will post but it will just not be the same. Take care   

I will always pull hard for heavy snows and Vodka Cold in the Mid Atlantic, as long as I live!

You guys are gonna get obliterated this winter! You'll all be BEGGING me to make a trip up there, to help get you dug out of the deep snow!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GATECH said:

While at 7 eleven this morning was talking to a contract plow driver, he was pissed that VDOT didn’t call out the small guys to do the neighborhoods. He also said that VDOT has cut its winter budget significantly (thanks hurricanes Florence and Michael), that VDOT has cut their hourly rates and would be cutting back on calling them out this year....we are going to get clobbered!

Meant to post this in banter, but anyways...

I wonder if that’s why Fairfax County has 18 snow days baked in this year. Yes...18 f’ing snow days. And if they don’t use them they just sit around and watch movies at the end of the school year. No wonder our country is f**ked!

• Like 2

Just now, poolz1 said:

Deep into winter with a true arctic airmass in place this would be a fun radar to watch unfold as the ull approaches.  Bonus high ratio stuff....Not complaining tho about the cold rain falling.

Yl6TYwn.gif

I was thinking the same. I love seeing those feathery returns light up just to the south. It all looks to be over, the That all fills in as the ULL catches up and the radar lights up like a Christmas tree.

8 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I was thinking the same. I love seeing those feathery returns light up just to the south. It all looks to be over, the That all fills in as the ULL catches up and the radar lights up like a Christmas tree.

A day of steady heavy snow turns into periods of light snow with intervals of 1/4 mile vis increasing in coverage as the night wears on....additional 4-8 on top of the 8-12 that fell today.  Atmospheric memory and stuff....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

thanks! :blink:

47 minutes ago, nj2va said:

This 'winter' already beats last 2 winters combined.

ETA:  I just want to keep posting on this thread to get us to a new page so I don't need to scroll through EJ's post anymore.

Sweet Jesus I have no idea what happened there.  Post deleted.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jayyy said:

I think you just worry / complain too much. It was supposed to start as mix, and western areas weren’t supposed to get into the action until late morning. The start was as expected. It would go snow in dc and those areas first due to heavy precip cooling the column 

I dont think there was any forecast, or model, that showed metro areas starting as snow while it rained in the higher elevations to the west.

13 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

@Chris78 I wouldnt be surprised if you were and inch or two higher up there...seems like reports closer to the MD line were a bit more.  Thurmont with 8" and Cat Mtn with 9" on the reports.

Thanks.

I think your right. My in-laws live in Thurmont and they said they got 7.5.  I'm thinking Smithsburg probably received between 7 -8. Hard to tell at this point with all of the rain on top of it now lol.

4 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Bands of freezing rain moving through has caked everything in a glaze of ice.  Snow pack really firming up.  Now 30 degrees.

The snow portion of the storm dropped 0.75" liquid here, so right about 10:1.

2.5 degrees warmer here....only dripping from the trees with no ice accum.  Amazing sometimes the difference in such a short distance...as a crow flies.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic