Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November discussion

weathafella

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I hope Benedict is right about this being a snower for SNE Monday / Tuesday. Morale on the board could use it 

I agree.   

But I’m not thinking this turns into snow for us unfortunately....nothing against the pope, but I think we’re out of that one as far as snow goes... but sure hope I’m wrong.  

40 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I agree.   

But I’m not thinking this turns into snow for us unfortunately....nothing against the pope, but I think we’re out of that one as far as snow goes... but sure hope I’m wrong.  

The pope has been on a wine binge lately. GFS looked like a nice young lad after two glasses. 

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I’ll tell you what.  Yes the ensembles are giving us the pig but it’s pig light.  The cold vortex remains on our side of the hemisphere and we may well have it pretty transient...like maybe 1-2 weeks max.

Winter is going to rock, it just means that December may not blow the doors off, which I ever thought it would, anyway. I've always anticipated a grinch period. But I'd be surprised if Dec weren't better than 2014, though.

The high of 22F on 11/22/1890 isn't on the list of threaded low max temps so not sure where wbz got it from. Maybe another BOS site back then that wasn't the official obs site? 

It isn't just because of Logan airport either...because it has the Dead Sea scrolls high of 10F observed by a civil war veteran in his union army hat. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The high of 22F on 11/22/1890 isn't on the list of threaded low max temps so not sure where wbz got it from. Maybe another BOS site back then that wasn't the official obs site? 

It isn't just because of Logan airport either...because it has the Dead Sea scrolls high of 10F observed by a civil war veteran in his union army hat. 

1890-11-21 45 30 37.5 -5.7 27 0 0.00
1890-11-22 49 35 42.0 -0.8 23 0 T
1890-11-23 37 25 31.0 -11.5 34 0 T

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

13 minutes ago, dendrite said:
1890-11-21 45 30 37.5 -5.7 27 0 0.00
1890-11-22 49 35 42.0 -0.8 23 0 T
1890-11-23 37 25 31.0 -11.5 34 0 T

It was 1891, not 1890.

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

:lol:

The November departures are riduculous up here.  These are without the -15 to -25 departures today.  The monthly means will fall further at midnight tonight.

Three weeks of just impressive cold relative to the time of year.

Monthly Departures:

BTV... -5.6

MVL... -6.2

MPV... -6.7

When Burlington is at -5.6 over a 3+ week period... that's entering another level.  This morning's record of -1F was -30F from normal.

Streak of 18 out of 19 days being below normal locally at MVL.  Yesterday's maximum temperature of 11F was a -30F from normal. 

This has been truly ridiculous.

Just now, 78Blizzard said:

So WBZ got it wrong then.

Yeah date was wrong...but their graphic for lowest November highs is still fairly accurate from a year perspective. They just need to change the date of the 1891 high from 11/22 to 11/29.

The old site was right near what is now Boston public garden. Much easier to get lower temps than Logan Airport...esp in the civil war era with less UHI.

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah date was wrong...but their graphic for lowest November highs is still fairly accurate from a year perspective. They just need to change the date of the 1891 high from 11/22 to 11/29.

The old site was right near what is now Boston public garden. Much easier to get lower temps than Logan Airport...esp in the civil war era with less UHI.

I do wish the site wasn’t at Logan. I get why it is there, but the Common or a place a bit inland would make much more sense.

Is there a way to determine when in US history the UHI effect first became noticeable?  It would differ per city, but for Boston I would think by the 1920s or so

19 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I do wish the site wasn’t at Logan. I get why it is there, but the Common or a place a bit inland would make much more sense.

Is there a way to determine when in US history the UHI effect first became noticeable?  It would differ per city, but for Boston I would think by the 1920s or so

Here's a study that was done showing the UHI effect on cities around the country.  I'm not sure I buy it, as they have the Boston-Providence corridor with a negative UHI, lol.

https://phys.org/news/2015-09-cities-based-urban-island-effect.html

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

Here's a study that was done showing the UHI effect on cities around the country.  I'm not sure I buy it, as they have the Boston-Providence corridor with a negative UHI, lol.

https://phys.org/news/2015-09-cities-based-urban-island-effect.html

The actual paper is paywalled so I can't read it. The only thing I can think of is that BOS and PVD are on the water, so the proximity to ocean will actually give them a strong cooling effect in the warm seasons. That might be more than offsetting the cold season differences. But we can't be sure until we actually read it...if the study was done correctly they would already account for this in their measurements. But I've seen some sloppy papers before on these topics that still surprisingly get past peer review. 

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The actual paper is paywalled so I can't read it. The only thing I can think of is that BOS and PVD are on the water, so the proximity to ocean will actually give them a strong cooling effect in the warm seasons. That might be more than offsetting the cold season differences. But we can't be sure until we actually read it...if the study was done correctly they would already account for this in their measurements. But I've seen some sloppy papers before on these topics that still surprisingly get past peer review. 

I would buy that reasoning but for the fact that they have Cleveland as one of the top 4 heat island cities despite the cooling effect of Lake Erie.  I would think that the westerlies off the lake would be more prevalent than the easterlies off the ocean.