Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

4 hours ago, McDowell_Weather said:

Hey Joe hope all is well. How's your house at the coast?

It's fine. We lost the gazebo and steps down to the beach. They have been rebuilt already. We also lost the pool and hot tub but they won't be able to get to those until Feb. or Mar. That's about it except for some shingles and a few pieces of siding. All in all, not too bad. Salter Path/Indian Beach has made remarkable progress in their clean-up efforts as well. By spring, everything should be pretty much back to normal. But the tourist should hold off coming back for a few years just to make sure. ;)

Thanks for asking Heath.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, strongwxnc said:

Headed to Boone that morning. Normally I’m all in, but i need to get up to Boone around 7 and home afterwards emoji481.png

You me and 25,000 plus other folks. HUGE GAME. Not liking the trends. Rays wx says rain winds down by noon after mix fri night. High near 50 Sat. But I have my doubts along with NWS forecast discussion. Worried about our guys, not fans like myself, being able to run our stuff without the weather dictating it. Cad will be locked in Fri Night.

You me and 25,000 plus other folks. HUGE GAME. Not liking the trends. Rays wx says rain winds down by noon after mix fri night. High near 50 Sat. But I have my doubts along with NWS forecast discussion. Worried about our guys, not fans like myself, being able to run our stuff without the weather dictating it. Cad will be locked in Fri Night.

We will be heading out and up 321 around 6:45 am :)
Safe travels

21 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

And then delivers a nice surprise by getting the rain out of here 2 hours before kick off. 

21 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

And then delivers a nice surprise by getting the rain out of here 2 hours before kick off. 

Didn't want jinx by mentioning. That's what I'm way more concerned with. Hopefully it holds and regardless if its Rain Sleet Snow or Shine,  Me and my crowd will be there.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Didn't want jinx by mentioning. That's what I'm way more concerned with. Hopefully it holds and regardless if its Rain Sleet Snow or Shine,  Me and my crowd will be there.

My crowd as well. Dry weather would be nice, but it won't keep me from being there and being loud. 

I'm hearing reports of a Christmas tree shortage this year. They say it is a result of the 2008 recession when fewer trees were planted by tree farmers. Trees planted around then are the ones being harvested this year. Some cut your own farms are reportedly not even opening this year. Have any of you mountain folk heard anything about this?

I'm hearing reports of a Christmas tree shortage this year. They say it is a result of the 2008 recession when fewer trees were planted by tree farmers. Trees planted around then are the ones being harvested this year. Some cut your own farms are reportedly not even opening this year. Have any of you mountain folk heard anything about this?
There was an article in the watauga Democrat about it. I don't remember anything about the recession but we're down to 7 farms from 12 last year if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, jburns said:

22 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

There was an article in the watauga Democrat about it. I don't remember anything about the recession but we're down to 7 farms from 12 last year if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yep, I saw the same article in the Democrat. I’m not sure how indicative this is of the larger tree farm situation, but there are 2 huge farms on our road, and one of them has been cutting them for the past week or so. There have been tractor trailer loads of trees going out, and plenty more to cut from what I can see, but I’d get one as soon as you can if you want a live tree.

2 hours ago, jburns said:

We've had a family tradition for 20 years+,usually going to Sparta, Ashe County every black Friday and getting the ole tree. Happens from time to time where we have to go to different farms because the owners usually are aging out and dont have the resources such as health,kids around to help,etc. The majority of your choose n cuts are usually family owned and provide a extra source of income as oppossed to the main source. Wholesale farms are a whole different animal. But regardless of which business model a farm incorporates, if the profits where down then thats less they would be able to re-invest back into spring planting. So I could definitely see a shortage of supply to meet demand this year and next based on the economy from 8 to 10 years ago. I worked on a wholesale tree farm one harvest season back in the early 90s. Its a big investment up front and a long 7+ year wait for your return. Unlike other cash crops,you plant in the spring,harvest that fall and get paid.