• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

Hi everyone. Not sure if everyone remembers from last winter but some microbursts/extreme weather events ripped up my entire lawn and caused severe damage. Well now I am happy to say I have nursed my lawn to this point without hiring a landscaper. It started all dirt and ripped up as well as extremely uneven surfaces due to the ground being stirred up. It’s getting there 

05ACAA03-F65C-4DAB-A551-C3C58167A65B.jpeg

12 minutes ago, butterfish55 said:
50 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:
Looks like I’m getting the providence/New Bedford market based on my location (Taunton) 

im guessing ill get regular season games?

Get the cheapest HD antenna you can find for these situations. You'll get the Boston channels as well as Providence for free

Indoor work? Can’t put one outside unfortunately 

1 hour ago, Weatherexpert said:

Hi everyone. Not sure if everyone remembers from last winter but some microbursts/extreme weather events ripped up my entire lawn and caused severe damage. Well now I am happy to say I have nursed my lawn to this point without hiring a landscaper. It started all dirt and ripped up as well as extremely uneven surfaces due to the ground being stirred up. It’s getting there 

05ACAA03-F65C-4DAB-A551-C3C58167A65B.jpeg

You got your lawn all nice just to sell?

https://www.c21vermontproperties.com/-/listing/300438799/161-Blood-Road-Waterville-VT-05492

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Dews falling past 60, looks like midsummer version of CoC today.  However, today is also the first day here since July 8 with average daily mean below 65.0°.  After a 30+ day plateau, average temps have begun the long slide (though I don't think it will be very noticeable for a while this year.)

I was just checkin' out the climo data at Tan's site ...

I find it interesting that while June was modestly cool, with modestly negative rain departures at most of the four majors... July and so far, August, are both substantially enough warmer than normal and wetter than normal respectively, to pull the three month mean positive overall.  

Warmer than normal and wetter than normal ...so far.  The rest of August will settle that. But despite early impressions rendered by a douchy June -

3 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Dew had dipped into the upper 50s this AM.  Felt glorious.  Currently 79/64.

Yeah...it's nicer up here by feel alone. 

Local Davis', or whatever tech this area that is sewn into Wunder's meso circuit is using, are saying the DP is 70 or 71 but, I've come to suspect those run a tad rich.  Can't confirm or deny that of course, but, routinely... KFIT and KBED and KASH, which serve as a reasonable triangulation for this region of Route poop, are lower than Wunder - so who knows which is more right or wrong. 

15 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Just had me enter zip code. I suppose I could try contacting them. No idea why I can’t get Boston market

It's based on which TV market you're in.  Northern Connecticut towns are part of the Springfield Metropolitan Area but are part of the Hartford TV market so that's what the cable company is forced to carry.  They used to have both Hartford and Springfield stations but the Hartford stations cried foul and filed a complaint against the cable company with the FCC.  Now the Springfield stations are gone.  It's probably the same thing with the PVD vs. BOS stations.

My solution was an OTA antenna.  I get Springfield, Hartford, Providence and Hartford stations now.  That and a streaming appliance...can't recommend that enough.

14 hours ago, mreaves said:

In Williams, AZ. 63/48 never felt so good. 

Nice area...I'm a big fan of northern Arizona. Obviously Grand Canyon isn't too far, but I like the Ponderosa pine forests in the higher terrain there. Sedona, AZ is a really nice area as well.

Williams has a lot of historic Rt 66 stuff. Blast from the past.

7 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

It's based on which TV market you're in.  Northern Connecticut towns are part of the Springfield Metropolitan Area but are part of the Hartford TV market so that's what the cable company is forced to carry.  They used to have both Hartford and Springfield stations but the Hartford stations cried foul and filed a complaint against the cable company with the FCC.  Now the Springfield stations are gone.  It's probably the same thing with the PVD vs. BOS stations.

My solution was an OTA antenna.  I get Springfield, Hartford, Providence and Hartford stations now.  That and a streaming appliance...can't recommend that enough.

I don't think they really care where you claim to sign up from. I'm in the BOS market, but if I travel I get all of the same Boston channels wherever I go.

hey weenies...I need some help.

I have a guyed telescopic mast on top of my garage roof with the Davis anny on top of it. I have an ultrasonic anemometer arriving in a couple of weeks that has to mounted to a 2" pipe. I can't recall the outer diameter of the top pipe of my mast, but my best guess is something around 1" to 1 1/4". I think the guy is within a couple feet of the top.

What I would like to do is try to "steal" some extra height when reinstalling. Using one of those heavy duty mast to mast mounting kits I'd like to attach some extra length to the top mast.

https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-EZ-HD-PTP-Heavy-Mounting/dp/B003EAY89M

According to the specs the anemometer is about 1 pound...so there will essentially be no additional weight added to the top of the pipe. I was thinking of using some form of 2" conduit. If I use two of those mounting kits to attach a 10ft section of 2" metallic conduit, how much free standing pipe would you go above the top mounting clamp to make any sway of the pipe negligible? Would EMT be fine or would you go with rigid or even aluminum? I have to be able to move this thing up and down so weight and rigidity are important. I would think Al would give me my best strength to weight ratio.

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

After the last week this is straight up COC. No TP required, nice light breeze, crisp bubbles of cumulus, dew point not at 74 degrees. Just praising for the gift.

Almost cloud-free here in Augusta, 78/49(!) with a NW breeze.  69/48 at FVE with gusts to 31 - after these past weeks that almost needs a WCI number.

• Like 1