Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 12th - 13th Scraper

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12Z GFS is getting there. Question is, does this trend stop soon? Verbatim this scrapes the city but would easily produce a blizzard on eastern LI up to Boston. 

The northern stream is dropping in more fully, which helps the confluence over NS to get out of the way with a quickly joining ridge to the NAO block. That confluence is actually important because it provides a coupled jet structure to the developing cyclone.

gfs.500hv.conus.trend.gif

Oh boy oh boy!! My thoughts from this morning are certainly coming into play! Perhaps better sampling...
Yup... This is what I was trying to allude to last night with my discussion with Rjay.. And as he said, the n/s Vort was up in no man's land (still is to an extent)

2 minutes ago, USCG RS said:
5 minutes ago, allgame830 said:
Oh boy oh boy!! My thoughts from this morning are certainly coming into play! Perhaps better sampling...

Yup... This is what I was trying to allude to last night with my discussion with Rjay.. And as he said, the n/s Vort was up in no man's land (still is to an extent)

Yea I remember you saying that... I had a big write up this morning about the possibilities here!! 

On 3/10/2018 at 10:57 AM, USCG RS said:
On 3/10/2018 at 10:53 AM, allgame830 said:

I have been in here for 7 days highlighting this.

i like the Boise axis 

12 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

12Z GFS is getting there. Question is, does this trend stop soon? Verbatim this scrapes the city but would easily produce a blizzard on eastern LI up to Boston. 

The northern stream is dropping in more fully, which helps the confluence over NS to get out of the way with a quickly joining ridge to the NAO block. That confluence is actually important because it provides a coupled jet structure to the developing cyclone.

gfs.500hv.conus.trend.gif

It could be an over correction.  This is often the window where it happens.  This does look like its being tracked too far to the east though based on the upper levels  much like it seemed the past system was at this range too 

5 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It could be an over correction.  This is often the window where it happens.  This does look like its being tracked too far to the east though based on the upper levels  much like it seemed the past system was at this range too 

this last system over-corrected on the GFS/NAM 24-36h ahead of time, so i definitely am cautious. late in la nina winters in the midwest (where i'm from), there was frequently a tendency 1-2 days ahead of an event for US guidance to over-correct NW, especially with a -AO. it was always clearest when ECM, UK, GEM and the overall consensus were to the S/E of US guidance. 

10 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

this last system over-corrected on the GFS/NAM 24-36h ahead of time, so i definitely am cautious. late in la nina winters in the midwest (where i'm from), there was frequently a tendency 1-2 days ahead of an event for US guidance to over-correct NW, especially with a -AO. it was always clearest when ECM, UK, GEM and the overall consensus were to the S/E of US guidance. 

True, though Miller As, as I believe this would be, often come in a bit more tucked at the last minute due to latent heat release pumping the heights. Last March might be a good example, where it just kept getting closer up to the event. I feel more comfortable this time around with the blocking, but still prefer to see things a little east at this juncture. 

• Rjay locked this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived