• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 12th - 13th Scraper

Here's the 3 run "trend"

37076c21-776b-4782-a1e1-580c3ad52b02.thumb.gif.43675bb7a5c659b0bb3a46224e5766c8.gif

Well. That's just a shame. Still bears watching imo, but.... Models seem to be liking this less. Huge changes at h5 (in the wrong direction) , that's the issue.

Edit: At this point in time, I still think this storm is a bm storm. However, I do not like where h5 is right now.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, nzucker said:

We need the northern stream to drop into the southern s/w more. We also need the southern shortwave to be more compact and not as strung out along the Gulf Coast.

Lead vort needs to slow down and consolidate.  We need a better angle of approach from the n/s sw and it needs to drop down further west.  We need the confluence to move out a little sooner.   

We need a lot imo.  At least there's the Ukie.

Lead vort needs to slow down and consolidate.  We need a better angle of approach from the n/s sw and it needs to drop doen further west.  We need the confluence to move out a little sooner.   
Yes, this was a huge step in the wrong direction. H5 has a heck of a lot of work to do. Of course, H5 has alot of work to do in terms of what the models are projecting; in other words, I do not quite think we are in range of a true sample. It will be interesting to see how the atmosphere evolves over the next 12-24 hours.

Just now, USCG RS said:
3 minutes ago, Rjay said:
Lead vort needs to slow down and consolidate.  We need a better angle of approach from the n/s sw and it needs to drop doen further west.  We need the confluence to move out a little sooner.   

Yes, this was a huge step in the wrong direction. H5 has a heck of a lot of work to do. Of course, H5 has alot of work to do in terms of what the models are projecting; in other words, I do not quite think we are in range of a true sample. It will be interesting to see how the atmosphere evolves over the next 12-24 hours.

The northern vort is up in no man's land

The northern vort is up in no man's land

Yes sir. So, unfortunately, this is just wait and see and watch the models adjust as new data is compiled and they attempt to figure out what exactly will take place.

Edit: And oh yeah, watching the atmosphere evolve so we can actually use our knowledge to interject into the forecast as well. I forget I have to interject that

5 hours ago, Blizzard-on-GFS said:

Stick a fork in it, this threat is over for everyone except the southern middle atlantic and cape cod. Close but no cigar. 

Didn’t you just yesterday say this was likely a 4-8” snowfall for the area.... I have been thinking a hit since Tuesday night and will not change that at this time... wait until that northern vort gets better sampled it is up in remote parts of western  Canada where data sampling is very poor. 

Call me crazy but I see some trending like Boxing Day but it would take a lot to get the severity of that blizzard... we have seen some dramatic shifts in the past before not just including this season... 

Some of our greatest storms were modeled days in advance to only be lost in the medium range but then come back just a strong. Obviously that doesn’t have to happen here since all storms are different in their nature but the possibility is always there. 

Its always a tough situation when you have such a complex setup and one of your main players is not on the field until 48-60 hours before game time. I’d still say give it time and wait for that northern vort to be well sampled with leads me to be believe why we are seeing dramatic shifts in track and that is why nothing in set in stone and shouldn’t be written off. 

IMO I would have written this off if I do think it would improve! Also to note having the UKMET on board still is a plus but need to see some more agreement. Something like the 12z GFS yesterday would be decent for the area. More over the 6z GEFS west of the OP is also a red flag but some additional op run support will be needed quickly. 

I will conclude by saying if more support is not had by tonight 0z runs or at the very latest 12z tomorrow then this will be probably be more a nuisance or scraper along the coast maybe possibly giving Eastern LI and eastern coastal CT some decent snows. 

Stay tuned... 

Out of all the major models, only the UKMET has been consistently the closest to an impact here, which is odd considering the model has a progressive, Eastward bias for coastal storms.

i would give it until tonight, but it seems the concensus is between a gralncing blow and an all out miss.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

I'm *still* not a statistician, but am genuinely curious... isn't this just a variation of the gambler's fallacy?

Seems like it.  A series of random events is deemed more or less likely because of previous ones.  You flip a coin ten times and heads comes out every time.  Someone may erroneously think that tails "must" have to come out now, despite the chance still being 50/50.

It reminds me of when people say "You don't want to be in the bullseye this far out."

Sorry for banter.

• Rjay locked this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived