Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Median to above confidence for moderate (major?) impact event, midweek

Typhoon Tip

12 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Thank you for the feedback Tip.

Yea, I'm thinking the jackpot zone will have that perfect combo of higher ratios/duration/meso banding/elevation. Obviously not a slam dunk by any stretch but I felt chances higher than 50% so I went with it. Also, some storms you --as a forecaster-- have a good handle on for days, whereas others leave you scratching your head even as they happen. This one was the former for me, so I felt higher confidence with it.

A separate point is consensus weather forecasts these days are cheap; really cheap. Never going to succeed in this space by being with the consensus. Back in the day I far exceeded consensus --on average-- on wxchallenge by going against the grain when I had the confidence to do so. There's an irony to this of sorts -- you want no one to agree with you in the present; and everyone to agree with you in the future...

Good ol' days in WxChallenge. I won 5 trophies and finished inside top 25 by doing this approach. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Thank you for the feedback Tip.

Yea, I'm thinking the jackpot zone will have that perfect combo of higher ratios/duration/meso banding/elevation. Obviously not a slam dunk by any stretch but I felt chances higher than 50% so I went with it. Also, some storms you --as a forecaster-- have a good handle on for days, whereas others leave you scratching your head even as they happen. This one was the former for me, so I felt higher confidence with it.

A separate point is consensus weather forecasts these days are cheap; really cheap. Never going to succeed in this space by being with the consensus. Back in the day I far exceeded consensus --on average-- on wxchallenge by going against the grain when I had the confidence to do so. There's an irony to this of sorts -- you want no one to agree with you in the present; and everyone to agree with you in the future...

Couldn't agree more...but you also have to be ready to eat it sometimes....happened to me last Friday.

Obviously doesn't have the same implications as when you do it professionally, but still sucks.

Thankfully that has been happening with  less frequency over the course of the past couple of years.

2 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Good ol' days in WxChallenge. I won 5 trophies and finished inside top 25 by doing this approach. 

Sometimes consensus is right. You have to pick and choose your battles. You can't be balls to the wall every single time.

Just now, WxBlue said:

That's impressive. I can't claim anything like that. You should forecast more on here! I only played one term in undergrad but I finished top 10% overall out of ~1400 forecasters. 

That said, I was most satisfied with crushing NWS forecasts and model guidance....

Just now, dendrite said:

Sometimes consensus is right. You have to pick and choose your battles. You can't be balls to the wall every single time.

Exactly. Usually I stay close to consensus 75% of time and forecast outside the box only when I'm confident models are off (radiational cooling, mixing on clear day, picking up on model bias, etc.) It's a marathon, not a sprint.

3 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

SPC Meso comparison to 12z NAM: surface low at 17z is slightly east of where it was on 12z NAM

Will be interesting to see how much these HRRR ticks east continue...

Maybe a few more ticks as we get closer in? I think it’s less about the ticks now, and more about dynamics. I think it’s gone far enough east that even down here as long as the rates are good we will get some good snow.

Some of these hrrr runs really want to bury down towards the canal area... which would be interesting because the forecast has been all rain there for days

Just now, dendrite said:

We should add up the total number of wxchallenge trophies and championships in this subforum. :lol::weenie:

I've been doing pretty bad. I'm ranked 580th through the entire contest this year. Granted I have had a couple days (all this semester) where I climo'd. PArt of it is not having the time to really look into details. I also really suck at forecasting lows. I think the method I use for highs works much better in the warm season too than the cold season

3 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

That's impressive. I can't claim anything like that. You should forecast more on here! I only played one term in undergrad but I finished top 10% overall out of ~1400 forecasters. 

That said, I was most satisfied with crushing NWS forecasts and model guidance....

That's my hope for next winter. Right now, I'm just chilling and watching y'all talk it out to educate myself on the art of winter storm forecasting. That and learning the geography of New England.

Funny thing is I called for 12-20" in southern NH right before Ray posted his final call having the same thing.

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I've been doing pretty bad. I'm ranked 580th through the entire contest this year. Granted I have had a couple days (all this semester) where I climo'd. PArt of it is not having the time to really look into details. I also really suck at forecasting lows. I think the method I use for highs works much better in the warm season too than the cold season

MSN and FLG were BRUTAL. I went from inside Top 15 to 40th. Freaking consensus doing well these days...

Just now, WxBlue said:

That's my hope for next winter. Right now, I'm just chilling and watching y'all talk it out to educate myself on the art of winter storm forecasting. That and learning the geography of New England.

Funny thing is I called for 12-20" in southern NH right before Ray posted his final call having the same thing.

Yea i gotcha. Don't want to half-ass it. And I've had egg on my face a handful of times due to not understanding the climate here well enough. I moved here 2.5 years ago from LI, and still learning a lot in this regard.

10 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

All it takes is for you to crush the field on one day to put you near the top. Seems like many go with the consensus which over the long haul works, but not in a short two week period for one city. I had one day where I had a low of 38 when everyone else had 52 because I had a late night cold front coming in just before midnight for a city in the high plains. Immediately jumped me to second place thanks to that one ballsy forecast.

3 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

All it takes is for you to crush the field on one day to put you near the top. Seems like many go with the consensus which over the long haul works, but not in a short two week period for one city. I had one day where I had a low of 38 when everyone else had 52 because I had a late night cold front coming in just before midnight for a city in the high plains. Immediately jumped me to second place thanks to that one ballsy forecast.

I think it was last year but it was one of the cities in MS or AL and on the first day I went with a high of 76 and I think consenus was like 67 or 68. They got to exactly 76 and I spent the first week in 1st place then I screwed up something and finished in the low 100's. 

Still not sure how with the recent model changes they don't at least have some Winter Weather Advisories posted in Bristol County, MA, Bristol County, RI, and Newport County, RI.  I know we are not getting big snows, but 3-6" is not out of the realms of possibility by any means when it gets cranking later after dark and we've had advisories for less.  The HRRR continues to give us that amount for 5-6 straight runs now.

Archived