• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

40/70 Benchmark

Blizzard 2018 Take II: The Firehose

13 minutes ago, Redmorninglight said:

Moderate snow at base of Mt Snow Vermont. Solid coating on all surfaces. Temp was 34 an hour ago but I assume it's below freezing now. Hoping for some nice turns in the morning. 

I'd be concerned with lifts being on windhold, no?

3 minutes ago, MarkO said:

I'd be concerned with lifts being on windhold, no?

Not sure. If resort has power then I'd assume there are lower elevation and west facing lifts that can run. If we get dumped on tonight and no lifts tomorrow, I'll hike up and do a run. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

Yeah.  Should be an interesting night here.  Gotta get some sleep though.  Temps quickly heading to 32F where I expect it to stay.  I feel like we're cooling more due to the melting effect than wetbulbing?

Nice snow coming down here. I'm to your north and about an hour ago when I was crossing the Hudson the temp was 34. Already a coating here. Hope we can produce a nice event without despair and downsloping.

2 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

Crazy heavy with 1/3" on the ground.  34.3F/31.  Paste job!

You've earned this! 

Interested to see how it all plays out.

8 minutes ago, Redmorninglight said:

Not sure. If resort has power then I'd assume there are lower elevation and west facing lifts that can run. If we get dumped on tonight and no lifts tomorrow, I'll hike up and do a run. 

You'll be able to get up to the summit with the Canyon Quad and Challenger or Outpost chairs on the North face, if Bluebird or GSE is closed.

This is horrible, so close.   35F with moderate rain mixed with flakes.  Big elongated rain drops that you know would be snow with a -1 or -2  degree difference at mid levels.

Guys check out 0z Euro... that's a decent jump so close to go-time

Much bigger slug of qpf in 18z-0z timeframe tomorrow night... Boston went from ~1.5" to 2.3" total qpf

Thermals ticked colder too

We need those rates!

• Like 2

35 with heavy snow, no mix at all

I take it you're 600' elevation from your profile?
A good sign sign... NAM did not have that. Supports the colder HRRR thermals shown tonight.

30 with snow +++ in Winhall Vermont elevation 1800’ 2” so far

on the way up the rain snow line was in the taconics about mid way up the Catskills. It alternated from rain and snow based on elevation

roads got real bad on 7 with near white out 

8DEBBE3B-947B-493D-8E8A-4181DFC9CD58.jpeg

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

I take it you're 600' elevation from your profile?
A good sign sign... NAM did not have that. Supports the colder HRRR thermals shown tonight.

Closer to 700’, it’s gone to a mix now so we are right on the line. Down to 33.5F. Accumulated rapidly during the snow burst.