joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early February Hyperactivity

Stebo

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless something is weird with wxbell, the 12z euro as compared to the 00z doesn't seem to make sense wrt snowfall.    The 00z shows a 1005 low over south central OH at 132, and the 12z shows a 1011 low a bit south of that over the Ohio river.   So basically the 12z has ticked south and considerable weaker yet the axis/placement of heaviest snow is almost identical to the 00z. 

28 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Unless something is weird with wxbell, the 12z euro as compared to the 00z doesn't seem to make sense wrt snowfall.    The 00z shows a 1005 low over south central OH at 132, and the 12z shows a 1011 low a bit south of that over the Ohio river.   So basically the 12z has ticked south and considerable weaker yet the axis/placement of heaviest snow is almost identical to the 00z. 

Didn't know surface low values/placement = snowfall totals 

10 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Not sure what you meant by they equal one another.  That's not what I said.  But they are 2 of several factors that determine snow output.  I feel like I'm stating the obvious here  :huh:.

You are 99% of the time. There was that storm in Feb '90 with the SLP over NY state, and a comma head over SEMI. Rare bird that one was..:wacko:

I'm watching for the modeling verification and trends wrt qualitative liquid values on the weekends system. Seems there is two camps this winter and the dry sheared out is winning the battle. While another surprise would be greatly appreciative, share the wealth style.

This is just one piece of the puzzle for the mid week system, but here's trend on last 5 GEFS runs toward stronger eastern CONUS ridging spreading farther westward, central troughing hanging back farther west and Pac ridging farther west. Valid time is Tuesday evening/00z Wednesday. It certainly doesn't hurt to have higher background height fields in the east with respect to getting the system to come farther north. 116c6cda577e8a526f14fb6a1fb1f155.gif

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

This is just one piece of the puzzle for the mid week system, but here's trend on last 5 GEFS runs toward stronger eastern CONUS ridging spreading farther westward, central troughing hanging back farther west and Pac ridging farther west. Valid time is Tuesday evening/00z Wednesday. It certainly doesn't hurt to have higher background height fields in the east with respect to getting the system to come farther north. 116c6cda577e8a526f14fb6a1fb1f155.gif

Def want we want to see. Esp for the Chicago people who have been pretty snow deprived. Hoping GFS will cave to Euro. 18z took a baby step. Haven't seen a winter storm warning here for a while. Btw RC, you guys had an incredible write up this afternoon. Was shocked DVN mentioned only the clipper and didn't talk about this storm at all

I haven't paid too much attention to the mid week evolution, but just noticed that the Euro brings a mix clear up to the I 70 corridor or even slightly north of there into Jackstraw country. With the GFS trending that way, I might even need to worry about a wintry mix before it's all said and done.

1 minute ago, IWXwx said:

I haven't paid too much attention to the mid week evolution, but just noticed that the Euro brings a mix clear up to the I 70 corridor or even slightly north of there into Jackstraw country. With the GFS trending that way, I might even need to worry about a wintry mix before it's all said and done.

Euro has actually nudged south on its last couple of runs.

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

The big thing to watch is where that cutoff west of Baja ends up, if it is further SW, that will help greatly because you won't stretch the vorticity back into it as the brunt pulls ENE.

Just now, StormChaser4Life said:

0z gfs still not wanting to fully budge as far north as euro but isn't as south as before. Eager to see 0z euro to see if it holds or caves more south

Looked almost like its 12z and 0z GGEM didn't budge either. Has the heaviest of 10-12" along the Ohio River and 6-10" north to I-70 in IL/IN/OH and south to northern KY.

8 minutes ago, snowlover2 said:

Looked almost like its 12z and 0z GGEM didn't budge either. Has the heaviest of 10-12" along the Ohio River and 6-10" north to I-70 in IL/IN/OH and south to northern KY.

What? There is no 10-12" along the OH River on the 00z GFS...

Archived