• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early February Hyperactivity

Stebo

I don't believe I ever started one of these storm threads but figured I would give it a go, the pattern is looking very favorable for several impulses to rotate around the Hudson's Bay low starting with the first one on Saturday/Sunday. This one could potentially need a thread of its own however because there is a potential of hooking into a bit of southern stream energy and a spinning up a decent system, see Sunday on the 12z and especially 18z GFS from today.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pattern preceding this wave is fairly progressive so I wouldn't expect a fully amped storm. But depending on timing, we could see a decent overrunning storm. The high pressure across the Plains isn't super strong and there's quite alot of open gulf moisture, so a westward trend with decent amplification is one of a few possibilities. 

Though I wouldn't discount something similar to what the 12z Euro had either. 

21 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Maybe the other should be deleted. :lol:

I will close it for now but reopen in the coming days if warranted.  The thing about this pattern is that sometimes a wave fizzles or the one that looks like the weaker one ends up being the bigger one, etc. so I think it makes sense to keep it all encompassing in here for now.

13 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

The pattern preceding this wave is fairly progressive so I wouldn't expect a fully amped storm. But depending on timing, we could see a decent overrunning storm. The high pressure across the Plains isn't super strong and there's quite alot of open gulf moisture, so a westward trend with decent amplification is one of a few possibilities. 

Though I wouldn't discount something similar to what the 12z Euro had either. 

Considering we don't have a massive high pressing in for once, that gives this one a chance.

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I will say the GFS has been kicking the Euro's ass this winter, and system 1 is in the 3-4 day range so that one probably has legs to it.

Yeah but I was talking about the system shown on that snow map.  The GFS and Euro are way apart on that one.

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Just get the Euro on board and get it within 3 days hours.

0z GGEM has an area of 6-12" in the same general area if not a bit south of the GFS heavy snow area. So it does have some support but yes it would be nice to see the Euro jump on board even though its been horrible so far this winter.

These 18-24" gfs runs have been fun to look at but that's about the extent of their value.   The more realistic take away is that there is one hell of a strong signal for accumulating snow between Saturday and Wednesday.   If you accept that premise you probably won't be disappointed.  My take is a widespread 2-5" for a huge part of the forum this weekend/Monday, and a 'heads up' for tues/Wed.  ...and GFS is probably over-amped....imagine that :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

PV hook path modeled by 00z GFS suggests the Tuesday-Weds southern stream wave would have a farther north surface low track than depicted by model verbatim.ca303e6ace03ba646ea3d672885403b1.jpg&key=acba1952957fddffe200a3bba465176dd3eff3568e4a5c8385ca03e2477a6312

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Agree should be closer to Indy maybe even a bit further north. Also your phone needs a charge :lmao:

Archived