Newest Member
    joxey
Early February Hyperactivity

Stebo

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ams30721us said:

Pretty nice novelty snow burst here in Davenport this morning. A nice little dusting, with decent flake size blowing around in the wind making it look very wintry! 

Yeah looks very nice.  Nice snow globe action.  Looks like a few tenths so far here.

Higher res models doubled down, and even bumped north.  3km has zero precip for the southern QC, which seems a bit extreme.  I'd toss that.  I guess the only thing you can do at this point is just blend them all.  I'd just go with widespread 2-4"  with isolated higher amounts for the whole DVN cwa and call it a day lol.  Probably will be a 4-6"+ band somewhere but not enough model agreement yet to put that into a forecast.

1 hour ago, ConvectiveIA said:

The NAM is coming in dangerously north. It is the outlier of the other models, and would be surprised if the others trend to it however who am I to say. The NAM gives us ZERO snow, while the other models give us 6 inches. Weird being its only 24 hours away to start. It was discussed in AFD here about this being hard to predict by the system type's nature. But the NAM is BAD and has us in a total screw zone the size of the city as compared to the rest of the state over the next 3 days

Let's talk about the 12z NAM. Tell us it will be OK ane be bullied out by the other model runs. It's what I need to hear, ok?

I truly think nam is out to lunch. Gfs has been remarkably consistent with its snow swath. I do think there could be a sharp cutoff but not sure it will be as thread the needle as nam has

On 2/4/2018 at 10:32 AM, StormChaser4Life said:

I truly think nam is out to lunch. Gfs has been remarkably consistent with its snow swath. I do think there could be a sharp cutoff but not sure it will be as thread the needle as nam has

The cutoff will be sharp, that's pretty likely.

43 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Looks like about 2" here so far. Don't expect a ton of additional accums during the day as temps will be just above freezing.

I find it hilarious that we're going to penny and nickel are way to a 40" winter.

I'd guess we have at least 10-12cm. Looks worse but winds were drifting snow for most of the night

49 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Looks like about 2" here so far. Don't expect a ton of additional accums during the day as temps will be just above freezing.

I find it hilarious that we're going to penny and nickel are way to a 40" winter.

Same with down here. We're at about half of our annual snow totals (around 34") and with the exception of the 4"+ Christmas Eve snow, nothing more than an inch and a half at a time. Picked up 0.6" this morning and may get a few more tenths later.

21 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

The threat title really isn't fitting anymore, given none of the events really look to be clippers.

Yeah, it might be semantics, but maybe "wave train"?

The 12z GDPS comes in way south of its predecessor but also more widespread. The UKMET is similar to it. The GFS has the best consistency run to run being smack dab in the middle. Thing of it is, we are less than 24 hours out from the beginning of the event. It's hard to imagine the widespread consensus suddenly jumping on the NAM bandwagon within 12-18 hours of the event. It could happen technically, the NAM is tidy, but I don't recall much in the way of that sort of major change taking place with an outlier model this close to an event since the 90s

50 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Those downsloping winds really limited amounts in the GTA. 

Haha, 40" seems like a long shot, more like one inch at a time. :lol:. Almost similar to 95-96 per climate records. 

2 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

Yep, north of 06z, could tell watching it roll out that it had a slightly stronger mid level wave. Even has a surface low reflection over MO.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Good luck with the Monday forecast.  I guess we're at the point when the NAM has to be weighed seriously.

3 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Some nice enhancement on those returns up in northeast IL.  Looks like we got about a half inch.  The wind is whipping the dry powder around out there.  Now that the better enhancement has moved out the flake size is much smaller.  Nice little appetizer for tomorrow's event.

Yep. Coming down at a nice clip.

1 hour ago, StormChaser4Life said:

26 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

I wouldn’t go 100% NAM, but I’d give it the most weight in a blend. It does well with these types of waves, especially with the southern cut offs. I’d be very surprised if I saw more than an inch or two. I-80 on north should be the sweet spot.

NAM is getting into its sweet spot in terms of range, and at least for N IL, has done very well in terms of placement and southern cutoff for our two snowfalls of any substance.  Go with the blend, with a heavy weight/ preference on NAM 

16 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

NAM is getting into its sweet spot in terms of range, and at least for N IL, has done very well in terms of placement and southern cutoff for our two snowfalls of any substance.  Go with the blend, with a heavy weight/ preference on NAM 

I can get on board with that reasoning for sure even if I don't like its potential outcome. I am obviously quite impatient to see the 18z run come out on this to see how it trends to see if it sags further south at the western side before heading east, or if that prohibitive arching "hump" of a cutoff remains before it heads more southeast

Archived