SnowHabit
Potential 1/17-1/18 threat

BullCityWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Lol! When the extended/extrapolated NAM is your only hope...... hit the lights

Not true at all... it’s been upgraded and performs quite well in the extended range now. It led the way last storm while the globals didn’t figure it out until 48 hours or less from the start of the event. That’s an old statement which no longer applies to the nam anymore. 

40 minutes ago, mrdaddyman said:

Nothing much has been said about it but there's going to be Boundary Layer issues in Central NC with this system. Count on it. Especially if the S/W keeps trending SW.

I am already assuming that the cold air won't get here in time for the precip.  Seeing anything frozen will be a bonus.

13 minutes ago, Tacoma said:

You know I have to agree, tired of wasting the cold air, bring on spring.     :wacko:

For me, cold air is never wasted.  I love cold just as much as snow snow itself.  For me, this past cold snap was the equivalent of a 20" Carolina crusher.  Seeing the ponds freeze over, and my weather station hit 0 F, and seeing RDU break the aob freezing record are memories I will cherish for years to come.

And at the end I got a little 2" event which stuck around for several days in full sun.  That was just icing on the cake.

1 hour ago, mrdaddyman said:

Nothing much has been said about it but there's going to be Boundary Layer issues in Central NC with this system. Count on it. Especially if the S/W keeps trending SW.

Based on what? Soundings are all snow and surface is 32-34 when precip starts. Maybe in Eastern NC but not central as it stands right now. 

28 minutes ago, CummingGaSnow said:

It seems NWS Birmingham is more concerned about snow tuesday than NWS Atlanta is. Is it gonna be drier and/or warmer in North GA than AL? What will the orientation of the front be?

Its mostly frontal induced so because of the downslope GA or ATL does not do as well in a setup like this like AR/N LA/MS does.  What can happen though is that a surface reflection forms in the Gulf or really anywhere in SRN MS/AL.  This can cause an influx of moisture as SE flow can develop as a result of the surface reflection.  It does not even need to be strong.  I've seen this happen before in these setups across OK or N TX where a weak low forms over S TX and a influx produces a bigger snow than expected.  OK had a 12-20 inch snow in 2003 because of this when the forecast was maybe 4-8

1 hour ago, mrdaddyman said:

10 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

I'm not ready to throw in the towel either.  At the very least I think we get a nuisance type event with minor issues...

But I remain concerned about how long it takes to changeover and QPF.

Sounding here on the 18z GFS is from the middle of Wake County as precip begins at 1AM Wed.  The near surface warmth is limited.  Surface wet bulb is 33-34.  So, it starts as all snow or a rain/snow mix, but would quickly go over to all snow with any meaningful precip....and profiles would be getting colder thru the 'storm.'  I know it's pretty standard to have temperature concerns in the CLT to RDU corridor, but the model data doesn't support much in the way of temperature concerns at the moment.  QPF concerns, well, those are warranted.

kzm90Ve.png

47 minutes ago, Poimen said:

Anyone seen the powerhouse combo of the 18Z ICON/NAVGEM? Keeping hope alive. 

NAVGEM wasn’t great but some light qpf in western and Central NC. German was much better and similar to its 12z run. Widespread dusting to 2” across NC. 

Archived