joxey
Potential 1/17-1/18 threat

BullCityWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Greg Fishel

I’VE LOST ALL MY GUTS, OR HAVE I?

Questions abound regarding the snow threat on Wednesday. In the old days I would take risks, and go for a single forecast solution. Right or wrong, I made a commitment. But in recent years our field has advanced to the point where we now have the ability to quantify the degree of confidence in a forecast through the use of numerical model ensembles. And any reasonably sane human being who has lived in NC for any length of time knows how little it takes for a snow threat here to literally evaporate before our eyes. So it doesn’t appear to me that I would be doing anyone a public service to sound confident when I’m not, or to guarantee snow when the list of things that could go wrong is almost always longer in NC than the list of what could go right. So here’s my list with associated probabilities:

1. Wednesday will happen.    Extremely           confident.
2. A second shot of cold air arrives.  Extremely confident.
3. Precipitation will definitely occur.  Low to moderate confidence
4. If precip occurs, it will be all snow.  Low confidence 
5. This could turn out to be a foot or more storm-almost guaranteed not to happen

Will provide frequent updates over next few days.

14 minutes ago, griteater said:

That was a really good looking NAM run. Even has dual upper level jet structure. We can roll with that look

CMC just had light precip move thru 

The GFS has had a dual jet structure appear 6 runs in a row at some point and doesn't respond whatsoever.

Again and again and again, the GFS, provided everything else is correct, will join the party as the party is just about to start or is already underway.

Pretty rare event if we can get the 2" of snow, the high temp of 28 Wednesday probably too warm and 15 that night may be single digits. Would be a very nice snow event that will last on the ground at least 24-36 hours as the snow hardens in the cold. Hoping it occurs where it matters most, my backyard. 

1 minute ago, FallsLake said:

Still fast moving. I would say a 6 or 7 hour period of snow for most. 

It's still quite lengthy given its association with a cold front. The ICON was even a bit longer duration. The whole post-frontal nature of this event makes it kind of unique and fun to track. 

3 minutes ago, tramadoc said:
5 minutes ago, Red1976Red said:
my euro snow map looks a little different
flurries Wilmington
dusting to half inch Greenville, SC
up to 1.2" Wilkesboro, Sparta, Lenoir
up to 2" Yadkinville, Charlotte, Mount Airy
up to 3.2" Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Raleigh
up to 6" one county north of Raleigh

East of Raleigh?

26805391_1566716546716093_42381152891480

Archived