joxey
Potential 1/17-1/18 threat

BullCityWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ajr said:

namconus_uv250_us_47.thumb.png.cea1348037ece6191bee96d87e717d26.png

I think that's what he's talking about - it's weird.. you'd figure with a SW flow and good divergence aloft that the SFC would look better. 

Looks to me that the  flow, while SW, coming directly off the gulf stays over the SE coast or even out into the Atlantic.  With no low pressure off the coast, there's nothing pushing the moisture back inland.  Basically what I see coming over the interior of NC never really comes out of the gulf.  Dry air from the SW is still dry air.  I'm no expert so looking for educated guidance.

TW

The 00z NAM is in good agreement with the other modeling with the exception of the Euro. This NAM run ended up slightly less deep with the trough. If you look at the Euro, the 540 height contour at 500mb gets as far south as the NC/SC border and it closes off the wave. The NAM, GFS, and CMC bring the 540 contour thru VA or PA so they're not as deep with the wave (not as strong). Those differences aloft matter. The stronger Euro depiction aloft will work, but it's on an island right now 

There is no trend, poof, fail, we are seriously talking 0.1 difference in moisture for most in the models. May not know what to expect until it actually closes off. All models can and will easily go back and fourth over the placement of 0.1 through Wednesday. That’s the difference between dry cold nothing and 1” of snow lasting on the ground for over 24 hours. Talking for most, yes potential for more but no model is really caving or should be frowned upon over this small discrepancy a few days out.  

Archived