joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 8th Ice/Mix/Rain Event

NorthArlington101

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro has .1” of precip through the metro areas, GEFS (I know we are past the useful range) aren’t paltry on precip either. There is some moisture here. Temps are borderline but given the cold it shouldn’t be that much of an issue. Think people are underplaying the potential issues with the Monday Eve/Tues Morning commute.

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Euro has .1” of precip through the metro areas, GEFS (I know we are past the useful range) aren’t paltry on precip either. There is some moisture here. Temps are borderline but given the cold it shouldn’t be that much of an issue. Think people are underplaying the potential issues with the Monday Eve/Tues Morning commute.

I doubt any major roads suffer much. Traffic and brine will take care of that. However, walking to the cars before driving home could be loaded with slip and falls. It's a prime setup for unexpected glaze that wasn't there walking into the office. 

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

It's mainly going to be sidewalks and untreated surfaces. The amount of salt and brine on the roads is absurd. Our regular asphalt street looks like a concrete roadway with how much is on there. Most of the main roads were fine even the morning of the snow last week. Then again, drivers around here are awful. So it'll probably be bad for that reason alone. 

1129 am EST sun Jan 7 2018

... Potential winter commuting hazard for Baltimore / Washington 
Metro area travelers Monday afternoon and evening... 

There is a potential for hazardous commuting conditions for the
Monday afternoon and evening commute. A light wintry mix with
freezing is likely. While amounts are expected to be light, any 
amount of freezing rain on any untreated area roads could quickly
turn them icy. This could lead to dangerous traveling conditions,
multiple accidents, and extensive delays.

If commuting Monday afternoon or evening, be aware of the 
possibility of significant travel disruptions. Plan ahead by 
allowing for extra travel time, and consider using public 
transportation and telework options.

Stay tuned for updates on this potential winter weather episode.

Strong

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

WWA issued for the the whole LWX area.

Yup. All of Mount Holly's FA too, except maybe their far north zones. Even though the waa looks weak and the qpf extremely light, the stubborn cold, and very cold ground, is the real story. With the timing, it wont take much to produce treacherous conditions with potential for multiple accidents.

2 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

It's mainly going to be sidewalks and untreated surfaces. The amount of salt and brine on the roads is absurd. Our regular asphalt street looks like a concrete roadway with how much is on there. Most of the main roads were fine even the morning of the snow last week. Then again, drivers around here are awful. So it'll probably be bad for that reason alone. 

It is hard to imagine there are any untreated surfaces at this juncture, lol. Main roads should be fine, and I would not be surprised to see another application of brine tomorrow with the WWA issued. Why not? My car doesn't look disgusting enough. An excess of chemicals can only be a good thing, and make things safer!

There are always some roads that do not get treated though(like mine), and also some overpasses and other elevated surfaces can get slippery, and they are the spots where accidents might be more likely, outside of volume and legit crappy drivers who cant drive in plain rain causing them.

8 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

GFS looks a bit more impactful around DC with a bit more precip getting into the area. Temps still good fine (as in below freezing) especially NW of the city. 

0.1"-0.2" (most likely on low end) precip for DC and most surrounding suburbs if GFS is right

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It is hard to imagine there are any untreated surfaces at this juncture, lol. Main roads should be fine, and I would not be surprised to see another application of brine tomorrow with the WWA issued. Why not? My car doesn't look disgusting enough. An excess of chemicals can only be a good thing, and make things safer!

There are always some roads that do not get treated though(like mine), and also some overpasses and other elevated surfaces can get slippery, and they are the spots where accidents might be more likely, outside of volume and legit crappy drivers who cant drive in plain rain causing them.

This is one of those unusual times where overpasses are actually less likely to get icy. Road temps will be warmer on elevated surfaces than ground temps. It's kinda backwards 

Isn't 11am extremely early for this to be coming through?

Quick Update: We may in fact be in some trouble for dangerous road conditions tomorrow - in the circled area below from the hours of 11am-8pm there could be enough ice build up on secondary roadways, bridges and overpasses to cause dangerous driving conditions. 
I will have an update tonight and again in the early morning and if conditions look to be worsening I will send out a ping alert to our app users. 
Pay attention to this as it unfolds. Ice is a worst case scenario!

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Isn't 11am extremely early for this to be coming through?

Quick Update: We may in fact be in some trouble for dangerous road conditions tomorrow - in the circled area below from the hours of 11am-8pm there could be enough ice build up on secondary roadways, bridges and overpasses to cause dangerous driving conditions. 
I will have an update tonight and again in the early morning and if conditions look to be worsening I will send out a ping alert to our app users. 
Pay attention to this as it unfolds. Ice is a worst case scenario!

Depends on where you live... the WWA are staggered in time starts... as in 11am for western zones in LWX and 3pm in eastern zones of LWX

My guess is that it dries out and you just get some occasional snizzle or snowflakes drifting down, some potential for freezing drizzle north of I-95 and 1-3 inches of snow over higher parts of MD and WV. Hope I'm wrong and you get a jolting 0.1".

The one time I hope you are wrong, lol.

One thing though, north of I-95? It’s a N-S highway so not really possible. Did you mean west?

Just trying reverse psychology, if I say it won't snow then maybe that will work. 

I did mean north of, was a little unclear as to where I meant just a trace of snow, that would be in DC and BAL, other urban areas along I-95, not expecting much different to southeast of I-95, then maybe patchy freezing drizzle (freezing rain might be overstating it) northwest of those urban areas up to elevations where snow might be more likely. Yeah, I knew it was a north-south highway for the long haul, but isn't it more east-west in Maryland? Certainly NE-SW anyway. 

This system is lacking two things, energy and moisture. Otherwise, it's grand as they say in Ireland, sure it'll be a grand stretch of virga in t' later going. 

Archived