Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I am...supposed to fly out to TX too at like 5 AM Friday morning. 

I might wake up at 6:00 AM and make a snow forecast since I have to do stuff after work and it would be like 10 PM before I could which would be cheating but if I had to do something now...I would maybe do 4-8'' east of the River. I would **** bricks though about the upper end of the range

4-8 too safe here......I get it dude but I'd be at 6-12 I think......#IHateThisStorm

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JBinStoughton said:

So the GFS is saying that the entire area of eastern SNE, where all of the models have been putting the axis of heavy precip, is gonna get the squelch? 

Also, I don't think models in their QPF forecasts take into account such things like subsidence so for areas outside of where heaviest banding would appear to setup its always best to really explore things and see if that QPF makes sense. Models could be better with it though...I know they've improved with depicting things like downslope

24 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

This was the 18z GFS at 18z Thursday.

banding.png.44563b05d78986d59906f5864e0396f7.png

This is the 700 mb forcing A very nice arcing warm front, with a strong banding signature immediately NW of it.

Question, i noticed on the 18z and 0z (gfs runs) that v.v's@7H were Jacked up for a short 3hr period /very transient (over SNE), While V.V's@5H were jacked up for like 10hours over some parts of the area. Is the area just NW of that tremendous lift at 500mb Gonna Experience huge banding or not so much

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I think we get kinda screwed...I think b/c we are farm from the center we get more band like precip and I think we will be fighting all sorts of subsidence. 

The baking powder snow will certainly factor into the so called western "screw zones".  Shattered dendrites are sometimes over stated but it's certainly a real factor in a big, wound up coastal.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The placement of that area on the model is incongruent with its area of deformation...its aligned with it. That screw slot should be further west on that run.

yeah I could see that being the case. I think b/c the degree of upward vertical motion is so intense that the gradient between +VV's and -VV's is going to be so small that it will be a difference of several miles from heavy snow and like light snow. Tough for models to really resolve. This could also be a case where even in areas of subsidence you can still rip 1''/HR rates lol.

35 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

This was the 18z GFS at 18z Thursday.

banding.png.44563b05d78986d59906f5864e0396f7.png

This is the 700 mb forcing. A very nice arcing warm front, with a strong banding signature immediately NW of it.

As we thought...there's the axis, might be a little west of that more in the TOL-ORH zone, too.  E.NE FTMFW.

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I think we get kinda screwed...I think b/c we are farm from the center we get more band like precip and I think we will be fighting all sorts of subsidence. 

I hope you are wrong obviously but all we have to do is get a good band in here and that forecast is busted......it seems like its 50/50.....we'll see

3 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

?

models can still spit out decent QPF totals despite showing subsidence for that area. For example, say you look at 6 HR QPF map for CT and it spit out .5'' for the state and had a nice band over eastern CT...but you look at VV and bufkit profiles and see positive omega within the SGZ and negative VV's over W CT...W CT probably not getting .5'' QPF b/c of this but the algorithm or whatever is used to compute QPF doesn't take this into account

Just now, weatherwiz said:

models can still spit out decent QPF totals despite showing subsidence for that area. For example, say you look at 6 HR QPF map for CT and it spit out .5'' for the state and had a nice band over eastern CT...but you look at VV and bufkit profiles and see positive omega within the SGZ and negative VV's over W CT...W CT probably not getting .5'' QPF b/c of this but the algorithm or whatever is used to compute QPF doesn't take this into account

It's just weird you don't think the models account for sinking air. Hard to imagine they don't. 

13 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Question, i noticed on the 18z and 0z (gfs runs) that v.v's@7H were Jacked up for a short 3hr period /very transient (over SNE), While V.V's@5H were jacked up for like 10hours over some parts of the area. Is the area just NW of that tremendous lift at 500mb Gonna Experience huge banding or not so much

500 mb is starting to get a little too high (cold) for significant banding. That 700 mb map I showed is sort of right in the sweet spot for dendritic growth.

1 minute ago, JC-CT said:

It's just weird you don't think the models account for sinking air. Hard to imagine they don't. 

well models do just not the QPF algorithm. 

Same reason why I can't stand the ridiculous model snowfall maps. They only take into account whatever is designed into their algorithm. I don't think they take into account things like where the DSZ is, how much moisture is in it, how much lift is in it, whether or not there is subsidence, etc. 

Think its mainly just max temperature in profile, a constant snowfall ratio (which is stupid b/c snowfall ratios are not constant throughout an entire duration of a storm), and QPF, and maybe a couple other things. 

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

well models do just not the QPF algorithm. 

Same reason why I can't stand the ridiculous model snowfall maps. They only take into account whatever is designed into their algorithm. I don't think they take into account things like where the DSZ is, how much moisture is in it, how much lift is in it, whether or not there is subsidence, etc. 

Think its mainly just max temperature in profile, a constant snowfall ratio (which is stupid b/c snowfall ratios are not constant throughout an entire duration of a storm), and QPF, and maybe a couple other things. 

Sounds like there is a lot of room for improvement

7 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I think a more common sense reason why you get good QPF over areas of subsidence on model output is because those areas of subsidence fluctuate and move.  Even the "RI snow hole" grows and shrinks over the duration of a storm.  It also doesn't help that the GFS output is either 3 hours or 6 hours depending on time frame, and things are moving around between those output frames.

This is why I like the simulated radar on the 3km NAM and the HRRR (once you get close enough) because it's much better at showing how that type of feature will show up at the surface, and it's hour-by-hour.

Just now, ice1972 said:

lol.....Wait up for the Euro?  At this point so close in does it even matter though?  I recall a few maybe where it did......don't ask which ones though lol.....I'm not good like that

It mattered with Juno. A lot of media outlets wouldn't have busted so bad if it weren't for the 24 hour Euro!

Just now, JC-CT said:

Sounds like there is a lot of room for improvement

That's where the upgrades come in! Don't forget the equations thrown into these models are insane...incredibly complex series of partial differential equations which people can't solve so computers do them lol. There are always tweaks being done to the equations and work done into how the equations can be further fine tuned and figuring out which terms in some of the equations hold significant importance and which terms are so insignificant that they don't really matter and can be ignored. 

Archived