joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New Years 2018 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM I believe has the right idea with making the Western low over the main baroclinic zone the main low based on 250 jet and H5 look. Phase is a little sloppy, there are 4 shortwaves I count that are all trying to interact. They all do so eventually. This is far from being resolved with all the energy trying to interact. Not sure i buy a jump east with a closed h5 and occlusion happening.

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

NAM I believe has the right idea with making the Western low over the main baroclinic zone the main low based on 250 jet and H5 look. Phase is a little sloppy, there are 4 shortwaves I count that are all trying to interact. They all do so eventually. This is far from being resolved with all the energy trying to interact. Not sure i buy a jump east with a closed h5 and occlusion happening.

I think I saw it closed for one frame but then it opened again. Did I see that correctly?

10 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

What’s with the weak precip shield @ 84? You’d think with a SLP that deep there’d be more to it than that.

Its the NAM at the end of its run, and out of its useful range. Wonky is what it does. It wont go down like that, I guarantee it.

2 minutes ago, psurulz said:

What am I missing that is causing the storm to kick east?  It looks like the trough is negative....shouldn't that be pulling it west?  Just a newbie here so trying to make sure I understand things properly.

NAM being the NAM. NAM at hr 84 is probably like GFS at hr 240. It's out of it's best range

What am I missing that is causing the storm to kick east?  It looks like the trough is negative....shouldn't that be pulling it west?  Just a newbie here so trying to make sure I understand things properly.

Im actually befuddled too honestly. There are many signs suggesting this stays on a NNE heading if not due N. Unsure why the sudden jump almost due E. I dont think it is a terrible run at all. Thru 66 looks great. Not sure if convective feedback jumps it east or that last piece of energy trying to phase it. btw that final piece really sped up this run. Keep that up and it phases in cleaner and earlier. Another run, another solution. Takeaway.....expect the unexpected next 24-36 hours of runs.

If that disturbance is legit and shows up on the GFS UKIE CMC Euro this could be a dangerous forecasting setup where we could see some sort of drastic shift inside 48 hours.  A piece of energy such as that can easily go from acting as a kicker to a phaser easily with subtle changes in the timing of the other two pieces phasing, the timing of itself moving, and the entire trof axis changing. 

If that disturbance is legit and shows up on the GFS UKIE CMC Euro this could be a dangerous forecasting setup where we could see some sort of drastic shift inside 48 hours.  A piece of energy such as that can easily go from acting as a kicker to a phaser easily with subtle changes in the timing of the other two pieces phasing, the timing of itself moving, and the entire trof axis changing. 

That piece is not a kicker in the meteo sense of the word. That sw diving SE at the end of the run is racing into the extremely amplified trof and there is a jet reflection of this. Issue was it is about 3 hours slow yielding a sloppy phase which the NAM decides to handle rather absurdly at the surface. The natural physics wants to dive that into the rear of the trof.....like a ball going down a sliding board (the slope of the backside of the trof). It shouldnt be kicking anything E like that. Just my opinion. NAM on the right track, just too much happening aloft. Surface will catch up.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived