joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2018 Model Discussion Thread

bluewave

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has that double barrel low but a lot more emphasis is placed on the western low. If models focus on that low, then we would all probably get a good hit. Western low near 540 line would make more sense.
I'm not even sure we will see a double low as we get closer.
Careful. That has a too close for comfort look.

2 minutes ago, USCG RS said:
6 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:
Has that double barrel low but a lot more emphasis is placed on the western low. If models focus on that low, then we would all probably get a good hit. Western low near 540 line would make more sense.

I’m ok with that lol

2 minutes ago, USCG RS said:
7 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

The convection spawning the low fires up way offshore, forcing the track way out there. Maybe it's overdone and that would help bring this in. 

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The convection spawning the low fires up way offshore, forcing the track way out there. Maybe it's overdone and that would help bring this in. 

Convection does not spawn up a SLP. The eastern most SLP develops from a weak STJ vort.

26 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I've seen a few folks compare this to the infamous late-March '14 near-miss, and that system had a prominent double low structure in its formative stages. Many people will try to tell you that modeled double-barreled lows never verify, but clearly that's not the case...

gxlFu13.jpg

dYLF31p.png

4 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I've seen a few folks compare this to the infamous late-March '14 near-miss, and that system had a prominent double low structures in its formative stages. Many people will try to tell you that modeled double-barreled lows never verify, but clearly that's not the case...

gxlFu13.jpg

dYLF31p.png

If I remember right that was only double barreled very early on and consolidated quickly into one

8 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

If I remember right that was only double barreled very early on and consolidated quickly into one

Yeah, it didn't take long for the dual commaheads to coalesce, but it still had implications on the rest of the evolution and track of the storm. That was a fascinating storm to watch from afar so hopefully this week produces something similar, if we have to accept an offshore solution.

obviously more complicated than this, but looking at the big picture, the baroclinicity right along the coast associated with anomalous cold inland and anomalous warmth offshore tells me this will continue correcting closer to the coast.

could even be to the point that a snow-to-rain-to-snow or otherwise mixy solution is not off the table in the city (and especially LI up to BOS). those warm waters help give some credence to the absurdly low pressures we’re seeing forecast. 

also, #lanina + #seasonaltrends. can’t say that enough this year.

80F456A6-5C76-4303-A0E9-B9D8AC7A183E.thumb.png.7122c21bc094334393ea8381ff2e0f79.png

3 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, it didn't take long for the dual commaheads to coalesce, but it still had implications on the rest of the evolution and track of the storm. That was a fascinating storm to watch from afar so hopefully this week produces something similar, if we have to accept an offshore solution.

U have a link to the analog dude

1 minute ago, purduewx80 said:

obviously more complicated than this, but looking at the big picture, the baroclinicity right along the coast associated with anomalous cold inland and anomalous warmth offshore tells me this will continue correcting closer to the coast.

could even be to the point that a snow-to-rain-to-snow or otherwise mixy solution is not off the table in the city (and especially LI up to BOS). those warm waters help give some credence to the absurdly low pressures we’re seeing forecast. 

80F456A6-5C76-4303-A0E9-B9D8AC7A183E.thumb.png.7122c21bc094334393ea8381ff2e0f79.png

Similar maybe to March 2017 where it kept correcting too far west and we lost the apocalyptic snows initially forecast for NYC shunting them North and West. Hope not !

13 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

Great post, I agree with that hopefully it doesn' take a wide right after hitting the Cape hatteras latitude  otherwise this can really tuck in and give us even some rain especially towards eastern long island. Notice the two warm blobs. One splits due east north east from north east of Cape hatteras and than you have a cold blob in the middle  and than also a warm blob hugging the coast. Could explain the two lows forming on models

5 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Let's see something have this storm get to inside the benchmark first before we start talking rain. Yesterday, we wanted to rent a boat after the model runs.

there are plenty of ensemble members and even yesterday’s 12Z UKMET that were inside. meteorology >>> modelology. 

3 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

I'll default to you, but this didn't scream inside the benchmark to me. Could certainly end up that way, not arguing that.

nu0zkuT.png

I haven't looked today but I bet a lot of members have dual lows and those L's are only showing you the stronger eastern low.  That was the case yesterday.  

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

According to verification scores I believe it's pacing behind even the Canadian. 

That doesn't mean it can't be right this time, but I def think it's overdoing the Eastward track by quite a bit. 

Fairly sure I've heard the GFS has a tendency to suppress storms East. It did it for the Christmas day storm too, so that could be the case. 

9 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I haven't looked today but I bet a lot of members have dual lows and those L's are only showing you the stronger eastern low.  That was the case yesterday.  

I looked, it's roughly half of the members today with the dual low. Didn't most of the members have that yesterday?

I have a sneaking feeling it's because of the Fujiwara like affect. You have two very intense systems essentially rotating around each other until absorbs the other. That's my thoughts anyway, considering the physics and vector math behind it

Archived