Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the SPC meso disc....MBY is on or north of that line....all sleet and snizzle right now but rates are still low, waiting for that better lift to work in in a few hrs as the SLP approaches offshore.

"However precipitation should fall mostly as snow north of GSB to ECG. Snow rates will increase through the evening hours with rates exceeding
1" and possibly approaching 2" per hour at times."

3 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

Is that slug of precip to the west of Wake the only precip we get out of this?   Nothing behind it 

Per the Fisch on RAL this will build back a bit and we will get snow until about 1am.   The in-house model  :)

2 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Per the Fisch on RAL this will build back a bit and we will get snow until about 1am.   The in-house model  :)

I thought he said end at 11. Maybe you’re right. When’s it gonna fill. Dang. I have 1 kids hoping it busts because he doesn’t want to have make up days and one that wants to be home tomorrow. Lol

2 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Yeah as the coastal bombs out lift will really pick up on the west side, the snow coverage will just expand in size and probably pick up a bit in strength this wont happen till later like 10-12 or later....I just wish this thing would capture just a little and move more N than NE....if that could happen it changes things quite a bit....

11 minutes ago, wake4est said:

RAH added WWAs and upgrades to WSWs

Interesting. RAH has Warning's for Lee and Moore Counties, which are both SW of Wake. 9 times out of 10, a warning in these counties means Wake (and Chatham, Durham, etc) would naturally follow suit.

Maybe both counties already have warning criteria on the ground? (or close to) I dunno.

RAHmap.JPG

2 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

East of 95, SN line is currently running from about Rose Hill up to Snow Hill and Scotland Neck.  Expected to me in the dendrites at this point, -ZR/-IP.  That band from Southern Pines to Hillsborough is looking pretty good.

Gonna be 9-10 before we get the goods, hopefully we get some good banding as the coastal moves up east...I think we just need better rates to get out of the zr/ip issue....and it will take a few more hrs to get there....

4 minutes ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

Interesting. RAH has Warning's for Lee and Moore Counties, which are both SW of Wake. 9 times out of 10, a warning in these counties means Wake (and Chatham, Durham, etc) would naturally follow suit.

Maybe both counties already have warning criteria on the ground? (or close to) I dunno.

RAHmap.JPG

Yeah, this is so bizarre.  They are out playing in the snow in Sanford not 25mins from my house

WOW I didn't see this coming I live out in far Western Cary about a mile from the Chatham county line and the NWS in Raleigh just bumped up my total from less then 1/2" to this.

Tonight
Snow, mainly before midnight. Low around 20. Wind chill values as low as 9. Northwest wind 6 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

5 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Gonna be 9-10 before we get the goods, hopefully we get some good banding as the coastal moves up east...I think we just need better rates to get out of the zr/ip issue....and it will take a few more hrs to get there....

In that HRRR graphic above, the heaviest axis is usually oriented SW to NE, not N to S.  Just seems unusual to see it like that. 

4 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

In that HRRR graphic above, the heaviest axis is usually oriented SW to NE, not N to S.  Just seems unusual to see it like that. 

Latest HRRR 8-10"ish my side of town.....4-6"ish your side...rare I am benefited being in east Pitt Co lol......keeps the low more west just need that plus a capture when its east of Kitty Hawk lol.....

Archived