Newest Member
    joxey
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I think mets have discussed that signal has muted and we just go kind of normal with overrunning as the -EPO comes right back . Shouldn’t be any torch or complete pack melt down 

This is a newer signal.  Get used to the idea of a few very mild days.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I heard that in the days leading up to Xmas. We’ll toss for now for just a more normal regime 

We barely escaped then.   Some places not far away were warm.  I see GEFS/EPS allowing pacific jet to roar through the conus.  Hopefully it’s wrong.

9 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

after all this cold, one would expect some warm up and pattern shift, right?

I was just gonna add ... in a relative, sort of sensibly meaningful way ...anything above this will certainly seem that way.  

But, what " is " a thaw ?   Is it a pattern relaxation and warming... or, does it need to warm enough to melt everything and muddy up the Earth.   For that matter, you can have partial thaws.  You can have them that last for 12 hours because of a Lakes transit low that doesn't mean much more than that 12 hours - is that a thaw trophy foisting op?  

I don't know .. but, I do think we are losing the intense gradient appeal, which may mean a more temperate form of winter expression, more mix contentions and/or dynamics reliant for events, with yes, days ... nudging 40 when it's sunny perhaps.   The days of the big EPO spill will probably exhaust their Canadian supply by this time next week... Gotta get through the backside knife first -

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I was just gonna add ... in a relative, sort of sensibly meaningful way ...anything above this will certainly seem that way.  

But, what " is " a thaw ?   Is it a pattern relaxation and warming... or, does it need to warm enough to melt everything and muddy up the Earth.   For that matter, you can have partial thaws.  You can have them that last for 12 hours because of a Lakes transit low that doesn't mean much more than that 12 hours - is that a thaw trophy foisting op?  

I don't know .. but, I do think we are losing the intense gradient appeal, which may mean a more temperate form of winter expression, more mix contentions and/or dynamics reliant for events, with yes, days ... nudging 40 when it's sunny perhaps.   The days of the big EPO spill will probably exhaust their Canadian supply by this time next week... Gotta get through the backside knife first -

To me a thaw is when you can finally see the blacktop on your driveway.  Scrape the sludge off the driveway and get back down to bare pavement.  Beyond that I don't think we require massive amounts of snow loss to be considered a thaw.

6 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm pretty confident that we have a significant thaw...hope I'm wrong, though.

No doubt we mild up for a few days mid month..But this looks like one of those deals that keeps getting pushed out farther and farther and then just sort of mutes. There's at least 2 more snow events on Tuesday next week and late week. That takes out thru day 10. 

It's interesting ... despite the GEF's derived indexes, the tenor in the operational versions is really in support ... 

In fact, if it were not for the snow pack (overrated negation...) and sun angle, that 00z Euro run ...woof -  

But even the operational GFS is bringing episodic warm bulges into at least the lower OV.  

It may be one of those circumstances where the ensemble mean (GEFs) go the other way ...eventually capitulating to the higher resolution operational runs - based in no small part on that fact that it's cross-guidance sourcing. That seems to wanna add confidence there... 

either way, the D9-10 has a monster ice storm in the lala GFS ... 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's interesting ... despite the GEF's derived indexes, the tenor in the operational versions is really in support ... 

In fact, if it were not for the snow pack (overrated negation...) and sun angle, that 00z Euro run ...woof -  

But even the operational GFS is bringing episodic warm bulges into at least the lower OV.  

It may be one of those circumstances where the ensemble mean (GEFs) go the other way ...eventually capitulating to the higher resolution operational runs - based in no small part on that fact that it's cross-guidance sourcing. That seems to wanna add confidence there... 

either way, the D9-10 has a monster ice storm in the lala GFS ... 

You think we thaw big time Tip?

15 minutes ago, LurkerBoy said:

You think we thaw big time Tip?

'big time' requires a subjective definition that probably varies relative to the purchaser ...heh... but, 'some' relaxation of the cold has to happen. 

that's first off... 

secondly, sometimes these signals are over modeled? Particularly during regime changes ... and they will tend to take a bit longer to occur/set in.  That's sort of the 'climate' of modeling more so than climate.  Which, climatology of La Nina's (I think ?) favor early springs...  Perhaps there is something sage in assuming that might start in at the mid way point, if perhaps in intervals anyway. 

pistol to head, I'd say that we'll return to normal, with the possibility of a one or two days going above - as to how much, I don't know. This assessment is subject to change. 

4 minutes ago, Minenfeld! said:

As I'm new to posting here: is it customary to panic now or later regarding the thaw? Does this mean that there will never be snow ever again?

Correct, most models are indicating that New England is going to have the climate of Brownsville for the next several decades.....just kidding

Why panic over something that you do not have any control over?

Archived