Newest Member
    joxey
South of the pike clipper

ORH_wxman

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Well to their defense, they did have a Special Weather Statement posted yesterday afternoon and it's still up as of this AM.

But did it activate a push that went to people’s phones?  If not, the statement is meaningless to the general public.

7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Didn't know that was a thing people knew or cared about.  I guess I'm ignorant to this.

It’s important for the mets/offices for verification purposes but so much of the public couldn’t tell you the difference between the different advisories and warnings. You could’ve had a WSW up and people would still be going 70mph. 

1 minute ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Many people weren't aware of this event. Terrible commute, took me 90 minutes to go 25 miles

Classic case of communication fail along with QPF ripping and reading. It was pretty clear yesterday evening it would be a 2-3" event there given the ratios. Some areas more.

I don’t think there is a way to prevent clusterfok morning commutes with these type of events. You can put up an advisory, it would not matter. Unless we have a hazardous weather drivers license course that everyone must pass on a yearly basis or something that extreme to train dumb people...but that’s the thing, dumb people don’t learn...they just will be forever, dumb. Compound that with over population and a severly outdated road infrastructure, in CT...no way out of this, time to colonize Mars maybe or move to Nebraska...same thing.

13 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I don’t think there is a way to prevent clusterfok morning commutes with these type of events. You can put up an advisory, it would not matter. Unless we have a hazardous weather drivers license course that everyone must pass on a yearly basis or something that extreme to train dumb people...but that’s the thing, dumb people don’t learn...they just will be forever, dumb. Compound that with over population and a severly outdated road infrastructure, in CT...no way out of this, time to colonize Mars maybe or move to Nebraska...same thing.

If I was king and supreme ruler I'd make you have a hazardous weather license endorsement.  Any time you're under an event,  only trained drivers would be allowed on the roads. 

There are a ton of new drivers both young and old that have zero experience in winter weather. 

Based on the trajectory of this storm, I would think Nantucket would come in with the most snow out of this one .  Maybe a good 4" or so given the banding and cold temps.  Generally a 2-4" sort of situation down there, Cape and islands.  Congrats James, You wanted it.  Enjoy.:)

10 minutes ago, amarshall said:

If I was king and supreme ruler I'd make you have a hazardous weather license endorsement.  Any time you're under an event,  only trained drivers would be allowed on the roads. 

There are a ton of new drivers both young and old that have zero experience in winter weather. 

Someday when we have computers in our heads every vehicle will have a hologram above it and we’ll all be able to give it an up or down vote mentally. Stay away from the below 0 drivers. 

10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Even if they get an advisory, how does the average Joe/Jane change their driving habits?

They don't...they just keep on keepin on

Nobody will. But the problem is communication. Everyone just brushed it off, but if you word it that you'll have 2-3+" on the roads sticking immediately at 20F..it may allow for some rethinking of better planning of morning rituals. There was a SWS on the event, but those are not going to be broadcasted on the software like advisories or warnings. So it goes unnoticed basically. Anyways a 2-3" event should have an advisory. 

Archived