Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
December Model Discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

40 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Seems like the main reason we really need the GFS for is the MOS output. Do you know where we can find the ECMWF MOS? That's about the only thing we need to make the ECMWF forecasts more complete. I know Forky posted the recent cold bias issues with the raw Euro 2m T's. But my guess is that the MOS numbers may correct for that.

MDL's SMB applies the MOS technique to output from the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasting's (ECMWF) models. This statistically calibrated objective guidance includes a wide variety of weather elements and time projections and is provided within NOAA.

Bluewave,

I'm not sure where the actual ECMWF MOS output can be found. I haven't found it. Yes, I believe it corrects for the raw numbers (which can be far too low for some of the major urban areas).

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Bluewave,

I'm not sure where the actual ECMWF MOS output can be found. I haven't found it. Yes, I believe it corrects for the raw numbers (which can be far too low for some of the major urban areas).

Don, I believe it's only available on the NWS office AWIPS terminals.

12 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Earthlight

Pretty much what I have been thinking. A few inches. Best chance being east of the city. A big storm is off the table for us and has been for a while. The question is, is it a dusting or a solid advisory event. That will not be known until at least tomorrow night. Still waiting on sampling as the wave in question is still offshore with the fast flow. Once that’s ingested tomorrow, tomorrow nights runs should give us the final answer. It’s impossible to say at this point if any sort of IVT sets up. Obviously a few inches would be preferable as it would help temps during the peak of the cold. I can’t wait to see the live broadcast from Times Square if it’s 10 or lower with strong CAA.

1 minute ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

Yes my mistake it looked like a 1-3 inches but it didn't result to much accumulations regardless it was an improvement and you've been saying that this has no chance but it's trending to a 1-3 inches and thats what I think we'll end up getting 

What you think is going to happen and what a model run actually shows are 2 completely different things

9 hours ago, bluewave said:

This December is a great example of how you can nickle and dime your way to above normal snowfall without a bluckbuster event like 2010 or 2011.

I mean we don't average much snow in December anyway so it's a lot easier to do it then in January or February.

7 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Pretty much what I have been thinking. A few inches. Best chance being east of the city. A big storm is off the table for us and has been for a while. The question is, is it a dusting or a solid advisory event. That will not be known until at least tomorrow night. Still waiting on sampling as the wave in question is still offshore with the fast flow. Once that’s ingested tomorrow, tomorrow nights runs should give us the final answer. It’s impossible to say at this point if any sort of IVT sets up. Obviously a few inches would be preferable as it would help temps during the peak of the cold. I can’t wait to see the live broadcast from Times Square if it’s 10 or lower with strong CAA.

I'd much rather have snow with temps in the upper 20s than this cold dry mess lol.  My indoor humidity is under 20% it's awful.

Archived