Newest Member
    joxey
December Model Discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The trough didn't go neutral as quickly as it did on the 0z run of the ECMWF. As a result, the storm took a path that was farther offshore. The ECMWF still brings brutal cold into the region with a low temperature in NYC around 2° on January 3.

The positive tilt broad trough is one issue yes but the real problem with this setup is the tropospheric polar vortex. People keep saying “it’s definitely coming west” like the last few events because of the WAR/SE Ridge. Problem is, this setup is completely and totally different because of the TPV. Its position is causing suppressive flat flow. If not for that factor, then yes, I’d agree, it’s coming west last minute, but we are looking at a totally different animal this time

4 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The positivel tilt broad trough is one issue yes but the real problem with this setup is the tropospheric polar vortex. People keep saying “it’s definitely coming west like the last few events because of the WAR/SE Ridge. Problem is, this setup is completely and totally different because of the TPV. Its position is causing suppressive flat flow. If not for that factor, then yes, I’d agree, it’s coming west last minute, but we are looking at a totally different animal this time

in layman's terms too, statistically, because something happened before doesn't mean it will happen again, even if trends and indicators favor it.

8 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The positive tilt broad trough is one issue yes but the real problem with this setup is the tropospheric polar vortex. People keep saying “it’s definitely coming west” like the last few events because of the WAR/SE Ridge. Problem is, this setup is completely and totally different because of the TPV. Its position is causing suppressive flat flow. If not for that factor, then yes, I’d agree, it’s coming west last minute, but we are looking at a totally different animal this time

Agree, I don't see why this would trend west in this pattern. It's more likely to be even more suppressed and flat. Widespread arctic cold is usually terrible for snow events around here, there's no mechanism to bring a storm. 

Parts of the south have a much better chance than we do.

6 minutes ago, North and West said:

in layman's terms too, statistically, because something happened before doesn't mean it will happen again, even if trends and indicators favor it.

Correct. If not for that TPV making this very progressive, it would be totally different situation this upcoming weekend. 

52 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Correct. If not for that TPV making this very progressive, it would be totally different situation this upcoming weekend. 

I think we have a better chance with wave 1. Nao and AO are going near neutral. What is going to suppress the storm ? We will not need alot of precip for accumulating snow.

High ratios

52 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Unfortunately this time I agree with you.

Myself and others had said days ago that suppression not a cutter would be the only worry here. The same mechanism bringing the powerful cold shot is the same one that will suppress this. Not to say we can’t muster a couple inches of arctic fluff but a significant impact event appears to be off the table for our subforum.

10 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

That would be the polar vortex

The thing is the Euro is nowhere near as potent with the cold push as the GFS is after Day 5.  So while this storm may be suppressed I think we have a shot at something significant shortly thereafter.  I mean the GFS would have Tampa at 16 for a low while the Euro doesn’t have a 16 degree low in Bowling Green Kentucky

30 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

Unfortunately this time I agree with you.

Myself and others had said days ago that suppression not a cutter would be the only worry here. The same mechanism bringing the powerful cold shot is the same one that will suppress this. Not to say we can’t muster a couple inches of arctic fluff but a significant impact event appears to be off the table for our subforum.

Models might be overdoing the cold 

We have to see in future runs if the wave comes back west

We would not need alot of precip for several inches .

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

Right now, one can't automatically assume that the system will come west. Looking at the EPS, the mean snowfall figure is around 1". However, more than half the ensemble members have < 1" snow and a few have little or nothing. Just one member (#47) has a snowfall of 6" or more. If the latest run of the EPS is representative, there's only about a 5% probability that the storm would bring 4" or more. But there's only a somewhat greater probability that there would be no measurable snow. Still, there's some room for modest changes to allow for several inches. There's also a risk that things change toward even less snowfall.

55 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

I think we have a better chance with wave 1. Nao and AO are going near neutral. What is going to suppress the storm ? We will not need alot of precip for accumulating snow.

High ratios

The TPV is going to suppress it. We weren’t dealing with a TPV for the previous few events that moved west, that’s the reason why the WAR/SE Ridge moved them favorably for us

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Agree, I don't see why this would trend west in this pattern. It's more likely to be even more suppressed and flat. Widespread arctic cold is usually terrible for snow events around here, there's no mechanism to bring a storm. 

Parts of the south have a much better chance than we do.

The flat, progressive fast flow from the TPV is causing the suppression. The trough stays broad and positive tilt as well

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

Just saw that. A lot colder in the lr than previous runs. Perhaps models breaking down pattern too early before.

you have too figure that inside this current pattern that eventually there will be a significant snowstorm - most long lasting very cold patterns feature at least 1 - unfortunately we will not have much advanced notice maybe 3 - 4 days at best since models are struggling with this pattern

Archived