• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

Def a zonal look...but this has been advertised on the ensembles for a while...you might recall the talk last week was the relaxation after T-day weekend. This is the relaxation now manifesting itself on the operational runs because it is now inside of 10 days. But there is good consensus for reloading the pattern after that.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Def a zonal look...but this has been advertised on the ensembles for a while...you might recall the talk last week was the relaxation after T-day weekend. This is the relaxation now manifesting itself on the operational runs because it is now inside of 10 days. But there is good consensus for reloading the pattern after that.

Hmm, from Judah Cohen on Twitter. 

Here is a head scratcher - both the GFS and ECMWF are predicting a AO-, NAO- and PNA+ in early December which is the straight flush of teleconnections if you want #cold in the Eastern US, yet it is not predicted to be cold?

DPLZvxWXUAMYoj4.jpg

DPLZyHsWsAMM3sR.jpg
DPLaYctWAAACNhC.jpg

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Euro bias alert.  Not saying that’s it but it certainly can be effecting the amplitude.

Agree.  Was more responding to J Gordons reply about Kevin in panic mode and referencing nothing to support his concerns.  Certainly things can change and I think several were previously talking about a bit of modification towards end of Nov beginning of Dec.

2 minutes ago, WintersComing said:

Agree.  Was more responding to J Gordons reply about Kevin in panic mode and referencing nothing to support his concerns.  Certainly things can change and I think several were previously talking about a bit of modification towards end of Nov beginning of Dec.

My point being, it may be correct, it may not be correct. If you look at Judah Cohen's perplexity over the -NAO, -AO, +PNA panning out in torch instead of a significant cool down and potential storminess. But, ultimately, que sera, sera

Just now, J Paul Gordon said:

My point being, it may be correct, it may not be correct. If you look at Judah Cohen's perplexity over the -NAO, -AO, +PNA panning out in torch instead of a significant cool down and potential storminess. But, ultimately, que sera, sera

It's all good and I actually agree with you.  It's still only November and there's been much talk about the reloading etc.  Just wanted to point out latest Euro run showing that flat look is all.

1 hour ago, CoolMike said:

This makes sense, thanks!

I've always treated SNE as MA,RI, and CT. Central areas would be adjacent VT and NH up through the lakes region and into srn ME. Nrn Greens, Whites and central and Nrn ME as NNE. If I want to specify certain weather conditions being different in SNE, I would just refer to it as ORH hills, Berks, NW CT...etc.  I mean it's subjective...but I find it easy that way. 

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No panic at all . Most of us have been expecting this AN Nov 28- Dec 8 period. Some days will be be furnaced, others normal .. then hammer drops . 3 more weeks or so for leaf cleanup unfortunately 

how certain aer you that the bottom falls out in 3 weeks. thaty's a ways off to be locking anything in isn't it?

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

+1.
I assume the bolded was intended as snark, but it reminds me of my issues concerning use of dendrochronology to support AGW hypotheses.  Except where trees are at the extreme edges of their ranges, temp change exerts a teeny tiny effect on diameter growth compared to growing season precip.  And since the hottest days in a warming climate are apt to often be in droughty stretches (less clouds, less water vapor to heat), temps and moisture would be working at odds with each other.  Tree ring analysis is much more useful in identifying past droughts.

Looks like a fairly calm short-medium stretch ahead, with some rollercoaster temps averaging out near normal.  I'm -3.2 so far this month, +8.0 for 1-6, then -7.2 since then, with only this past Sunday AN since 11/6.  Will need to approach 50 this afternoon to finish the day AN; my avg is 41/23, and it was 18 at 9 PM obs time last evening, under the stars.

I use to like hunting back in the 70's on Great Northern's land as they would attach these yellow patches of fabric that said "Feel it stretch" on there trees to show diameter growth................lol

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I've always treated SNE as MA,RI, and CT. Central areas would be adjacent VT and NH up through the lakes region and into srn ME. Nrn Greens, Whites and central and Nrn ME as NNE. If I want to specify certain weather conditions being different in SNE, I would just refer to it as ORH hills, Berks, NW CT...etc.  I mean it's subjective...but I find it easy that way. 

Give or take........

newareas.png

My wife and I went out to get groceries and it was mild and sunny when we went into the store.  Came out 45 minutes later (Thanksgiving shopping is not fun) but sun was down and it was cold.  Enough so that my wife was like what just happened?

Looks like MVL had a similar experience and the ASOS dropped 15F in 1 hour. 

Talk about some cooling.  50F to 35F with the sunset.  Not sure I've seen a 15F one hour drop before with no FROPA.

MVL.jpg.5804272576af736df1926854e12864e1.jpg

Looks like BML though is beating us...they are already down to 30F off a high of 53F.  They've already lost 23 degrees from their afternoon high.

Whole bunch of impressive drops this evening.

Plymouth, NH lost 13F in 1 hour and is already at 30F off a high of 51F.

HIE did a 14F drop in 1 hour and is also down to 30F off a high of 53F.

Like a vacuum out there just sucking warmth out of the mountain valleys.  Nice way to mitigate a "torch". 

38 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Whole bunch of impressive drops this evening.

Plymouth, NH lost 13F in 1 hour and is already at 30F off a high of 51F.

HIE did a 14F drop in 1 hour and is also down to 30F off a high of 53F.

Like a vacuum out there just sucking warmth out of the mountain valleys.  Nice way to mitigate a "torch". 

LOL, look at BTV. Imagine going through that pass at Jspin's place. From shawls and scarfs in Waterbury, to Jimmet Buffet playing as you role down the top of your Saab...arms flapping in the breeze just a few miles later.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They just evacuated all of downtown up to wally. I guess they couldnt drain all of the propane before the attempt to turn it back over. It happened late this morning. lol

Bob Cormier is a friend of mine and the Chief of Police for Tilton.  It's been a mess.  Exit 20 is closed just as everyone comes north for the holiday.  Good thing is no one got hurt.

Weatherwise its a very, very warm evening up on the hill.  47F nice south breeze, that balmy feel in the winter months.  I see some weather stations around me are below freezing

34 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

No basket or Wally. Not good for getting stuff before the holiday on a pinch.

I think they are open. From that point onward right through the outlets were all evacuated. I think rt3 is closed all the way up to near Pirate’s Cove/Jay’s Marina...wherever Lancaster Hill Rd starts. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL, look at BTV. Imagine going through that pass at Jspin's place. From shawls and scarfs in Waterbury, to Jimmet Buffet playing as you role down the top of your Saab...arms flapping in the breeze just a few miles later.

Yeah lol crazy.  It's so funny how JSpin's area is the weather divider so many times.  You go west of his location on I-89 and go around the edge of a 3000ft peak and when you come out the other side into the Bolton flats, you are only 200ft lower but it's like wide open, the wind is blowing, it's well mixed and warm...going the other way from his spot it's all mountain valley towns and hollows.  He's definitely at the gateway to either the Champlain Valley or interior VT east of the Spine.

We haven't dropped any further, still holding at 34F....the WAA aloft is winning out and it's 47F at 1,500ft lol.  

For the time being it's preserving the snow left on the north side of my place haha.  March sun would've toasted that today but I have no idea how 2" of fluff survived 52F and full sunshine today on a dark surface like the dirt parking lot.  Like our two dirt parking lots have kept the most snow when in March they are mud-pits after one sunny day.  If only we could get 10-20" snows in Nov like March.  

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

They just evacuated all of downtown up to wally. I guess they couldnt drain all of the propane before the attempt to turn it back over. It happened late this morning. lol

Jesus.  Can't imagine what the stores are like too... getting groceries today I was cursing my wife for wanting to go at 5pm.  It was like gridlocked inside the store with carts filled to the brim and no where to go.

Archived