Newest Member
    joxey
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

While they do seem to whine, one thing to note. Everyone complains when there is no action going on, no matter how good things have been going. I have learned that myself in the Great Lakes lol. So it comes with the territory. Along with bigger storms their climate is for longer periods of boring too. 2011-12 was a train wreck everywhere. I mean everyone has a right to complain. We can have the snowiest winter on record but 5 days without action the gripes will start. I saw it happen lol. But again their forum is definitely filled with some characters. Some good posters and good mets but also some slant stickers and drama queens.

And as for Toronto I just can't figure out how most of new England and the Great Lakes have seen such an increase in snow this century and Toronto a decrease. Of course Toronto is off to a good start this season.

It's easy as hell to be judgmental of the complainers when you've been dining and dancing with the snow queen over and over again.   Meanwhile the rest of us have been weinstein'd by father winter.

9 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

While they do seem to whine, one thing to note. Everyone complains when there is no action going on, no matter how good things have been going. I have learned that myself in the Great Lakes lol. So it comes with the territory. Along with bigger storms their climate is for longer periods of boring too. 2011-12 was a train wreck everywhere. I mean everyone has a right to complain. We can have the snowiest winter on record but 5 days without action the gripes will start. I saw it happen lol. But again their forum is definitely filled with some characters. Some good posters and good mets but also some slant stickers and drama queens.

And as for Toronto I just can't figure out how most of new England and the Great Lakes have seen such an increase in snow this century and Toronto a decrease. Of course Toronto is off to a good start this season.

It's much worser on the east coast than here, believe me. They'll get a Nor'Easter then begin complaining not even 2 weeks later, lol.  

If i had an answer for Toronto's despair, I would tell you. One possible explanation is maybe the Nipher, but in general terms, it's just been pure bad luck. Since 2005-06, been nothing but downhill with the exception of 07-08, 08-09, 10-11, and 13-14. Alot of GTA posters, like myself, have given up hope of expecting anything speculator each season. 

7 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

It's much worser on the east coast than here, believe me. They'll get a Nor'Easter then begin complaining not even 2 weeks later, lol.  

If i had an answer for Toronto's despair, I would tell you. One possible explanation is maybe the Nipher, but in general terms, it's just been pure bad luck. Since 2005-06, been nothing but downhill with the exception of 07-08, 08-09, 10-11, and 13-14. Alot of GTA posters, like myself, have given up hope of expecting anything speculator each season. 

The Buffalo area has been brutal too for snowfall, they are way below normal the last few years. Their climo average snowfall is going to go down quite a bit. All the good action has been south of Buffalo. 

16 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

Montreal and Quebec are where it’s at. Insane amounts of snow there regularly.

On 1/5/2018 at 1:50 PM, buckeye said:

Hi Harry!

Hell you don't even have to go back to 09-10.    They've managed to hit the mega ball even recently.   I was skimming through the MA forum awhile back and someone in the DC area was complaining and started out by saying, "...other than the January16 blizzard...."  I stopped reading at that point.

That blizzard was epic.  It came in a period of an otherwise bland weather pattern and models locked onto it for 5 or 6 days out giving them an awesome lead time for tracking.  I think most of them ended up with something like 30 or 40".    That alone should shut up the ingrates for the next 20 years :lol:.    They all deserve a true DC winter!

Hi buckeye!

Oh i know..09-10 was the start of the streak!  And i agree about them getting a true DC winter but in reality they are do for way more then just one. It has been a incredibly historic stretch for many of them with these big blizzards.. It would be like me or someone else up this way complaining about a below normal snowfall season. We may have a gripe about the lack of big dogs vs i95 but not seasonal snowfall as we have been really blessed with that the past decade+...

Hope all has been well with you!

I wonder on how the long cold duration will effect the frost line in the ground where there was little to no snow to help insulate. Given the warm up on Thursday with rain I can't see how the ground could thaw that quickly. A good snowpack can fluxuate the 2M temps can a deep frost do the same?  I expect icing could be very sneaky in the upcoming days.

@Hoosier, I want to thank you for this board and what you do to moderate it. I really enjoy the discussion on here. I am also part of a local weather forum here in West Michigan, and I tire of the ridiculously immature posts of people trolling huge thaws or huge snowfalls. Also, thanks to many of the posters here who do not partake in these shenanigans. I find it sad when an admin. allows trolls to ruin it. Focusing on the positive, thanks again, all...this is an enjoyable place to interact about meteorology passions!

2 minutes ago, blackrock said:

@Hoosier, I want to thank you for this board and what you do to moderate it. I really enjoy the discussion on here. I am also part of a local weather forum here in West Michigan, and I tire of the ridiculously immature posts of people trolling huge thaws or huge snowfalls. Also, thanks to many of the posters here who do not partake in these shenanigans. I find it sad when an admin. allows trolls to ruin it. Focusing on the positive, thanks again, all...this is an enjoyable place to interact about meteorology passions!

I appreciate that, but honestly, much of the credit goes to the group of posters here.  People here generally don't fight or act obnoxious (well, other than a few people sometimes) which makes my job pretty easy.

3 hours ago, blackrock said:

I'd boot anyone cheering a thaw. The most unique weather phenomenon we have is lake effect snow. I'd let it slide once March 1st arrives, but cheering a thaw in DJF would be off limits if it were my forum.

It's like visiting Death Valley and then complaining about the elevation being too low.

30 minutes ago, Jonger said:

I'd boot anyone cheering a thaw. The most unique weather phenomenon we have is lake effect snow. I'd let it slide once March 1st arrives, but cheering a thaw in DJF would be off limits if it were my forum.

It's like visiting Death Valley and then complaining about the elevation being too low.

Yea, God forbid you ever have to rely on synoptic snowfall like the rest of us. Can you imagine; sometimes we get screaming northwesterly winds and sub 15 degree weather for 15 days straight with nothing to show for it!

Maybe I’m wrong, but could be THATS why some of us say bring on the thaw.

2 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Detroit and MI have already had a good start to the season(total standards). Can we have something please? Right now it looks like E IA and IL are about to be ground fricken zero for getting screwed by both systems. Next.

Same here most likely, we'll be sitting at 5" for the season halfway through winter.  I'm also hearing rumblings of an ice storm, that would add insult to this already injurious winter.

19 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Milwaukee and Chicago have gotten completely shafted all winter. Very disappointing 

Yep, it's gotten to the point though where I'm accepting it and rooting for futility.  There's been one winter in MKE with less than 10", so if this is the 2nd, so be it, a bit of a novelty.

Chicago and east are still in the game for sure, MKE might be stretching it. The worry would be the upstream kicker is  there though. So this has a limitation as far as how west it can be. The upstream kicker is also a reason why we have a storm to begin with because it doesn't just slide out to sea, it buts against the ridging in the east which the storm gets kicked north. That is why even at 5 days there is a decent consensus as to where we are looking. Of course pieces can come in weaker, see the kicker/ridging but I'd have normal to higher confidence at this point.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

00z GFS is a bit annoying.  I'd be happy to let Detroit have theirs as long as I get mine.  :snowing:

I will say that the run as a whole is colder than previous runs so there are more opportunities while getting active next week and beyond.

16 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I will say that the run as a whole is colder than previous runs so there are more opportunities while getting active next week and beyond.

Fair point, but given how it's been like pulling teeth to get a good southern stream system, I'd rather not wait for the next one.

Nice to see there's a system with finally some substantial precip potential to track.  If it's gonna miss to the east I would sure love for the OH peeps to finally get theirs.

Out this way I'm just wanting a significant precip event of any type.  We haven't had much precip since mid October.  In fact, the heaviest single precip event since mid Oct was 0.32" that fell on Nov 18th.  MLI has only had 1.87" since October 15th.  I'll even take a 33 degree soaker lol.  

9 hours ago, wisconsinwx said:

Nope, the dry as a bone west side of Lake Michigan.  Western burbs of Milwaukee.

I think your best chance is going to be between January 18th and 30th, as the pattern resembles a typical Nina, but with enough blocking on the west coast, you maybe able to stay on the colder side of any systems that may come through. No classic GLC's this winter has limited your snowfall amounts. Terrible winter for many of us. 

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

I think your best chance is going to be between January 18th and 30th, as the pattern resembles a typical Nina, but with enough blocking on the west coast, you maybe able to stay on the colder side of any systems that may come through. No classic GLC's this winter has limited your snowfall amounts. Terrible winter for many of us. 

Seems your luck is going to turn around at least with this upcoming g system, so there's that.

Trying to reel this late week storm in...the most snow I’ve measured in the last 3 winters from a single system was 5” on December 4th of 2016. I know my pain is shared, but man would it be nice to score a foot or so, which seems quite possible for some parts of the sub late this week. Hopefully it atleast ends the drought for someone..

Archived