Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2017-2018 Fall/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

Powerball

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

The I-70 corridor may be holding a permanent card.  Here's a map of all-time biggest snowstorms by location.  I put this together about 5 years ago and haven't updated it so all the numbers may no longer be accurate, but you can see a relative min around the I-70 corridor.  Areas north and south have had bigger snowstorms.

post-14-0-06365900-1353987211.png.bbeca8db4aa85940020d8774663c9477.png

Ouch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, buckeye said:

Even when factoring in for climatology, I think it's fair to say the Indy---->CMH crowd is arguably holding the most valid complaint cards of the sub...or at least a very close second to the IA folks.   

Meanwhile up in the motor city, a weenie farting in the winter generates an advisory level event within 24 hours.   If there truly is 'balance' in weather, Detroit has one hell of a snow drought coming due. :P  

6 out of the last 12 winters have been below average snow wise in Toronto. 3 of them being the top 5 least snowiest winters on record. 4 were above average, the most prominent being 07-08, while 2 of them were near average. Its fair to say we've been in the same boat as you guys in the last 10-15 years :(. Despite last year starting off promising, we ended up about 10-11" below average. 

Snow has moved into the area, but in DSM proper a city-sized dry spot is eating into the snow that has come in, so much so, that the leading edge of snow has wrapped around the city and is retouching on the lee side of town as to make a DONUT. I think HAARP has designed this storm to avoid snow in metro areas that inconvenience people, with technology of weather control. I don't think thats necessarily a bad thing. But I better go and move to the country or something if this storm is any indication. 

That or this is just a radar quirk that happens with super light storms. 

7 hours ago, buckeye said:

Even when factoring in for climatology, I think it's fair to say the Indy---->CMH crowd is arguably holding the most valid complaint cards of the sub...or at least a very close second to the IA folks.   

Meanwhile up in the motor city, a weenie farting in the winter generates an advisory level event within 24 hours.   If there truly is 'balance' in weather, Detroit has one hell of a snow drought coming due. :P  

:lmao: I certainly hope you can get it on some of the goods...but no thanks to a snow drought up here lol!

31 minutes ago, ConvectiveIA said:

Snow has moved into the area, but in DSM proper a city-sized dry spot is eating into the snow that has come in, so much so, that the leading edge of snow has wrapped around the city and is retouching on the lee side of town as to make a DONUT. I think HAARP has designed this storm to avoid snow in metro areas that inconvenience people, with technology of weather control. I don't think thats necessarily a bad thing. But I better go and move to the country or something if this storm is any indication. 

That or this is just a radar quirk that happens with super light storms. 

Seems like the classic low level dry air situation when the radar beam angle undershoots snow falling aloft near the radar site.

9 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Per today's 12z Euro, the NE could get another blizzard sometime next week, lol. 

Not jumping into any specifics, but what else is new? Even a La Nina can't buy us a storm. :(

We could use a southeast ridge... and preferably for more than a day or two to allow for multiple opportunities.

15 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

I almost forgot, some video I took during Groundhog Day.

The biggest snow storm I remember of my adult life, and the only significant December snow storm, was in 2009. We were well and truly snowed in.

That was a great storm. This year is super dry but at least it's white now. It was brown until 12/24. With today's light snow my snow depth is finally up to 1.0".

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

We could use a southeast ridge... and preferably for more than a day or two to allow for multiple opportunities.

For our area, a snowstorm set-up is more complicated than say the east coast. Even in the worst patterns, they've managed to get a nice blizzard in the last couple of winters while we got squat. We rely heavily on the strength of the SE Ridge and we typically get hosed with warmth and rain because it ends up to strong. Aside from some overrunning events and clippers, the last widespread phased storm we've had imo is GHD and that was almost 7 years ago!! It's just frustrating the east coast could quite potentially see a potent storm next week while many of us haven't gotten anything so far. :(

12 minutes ago, cmillzz said:

Definitely shaping up to be one of the worst winters of all time.

Worst is pretty subjective.  A (relatively) snowless blowtorch would be worst for some.  For others it would be nasty cold with little snow.  If you like "winter", this type of regime isn't bad.

On 12/27/2017 at 3:54 PM, Hoosier said:

The I-70 corridor may be holding a permanent card.  Here's a map of all-time biggest snowstorms by location.  I put this together about 5 years ago and haven't updated it so all the numbers may no longer be accurate, but you can see a relative min around the I-70 corridor.  Areas north and south have had bigger snowstorms.

post-14-0-06365900-1353987211.png.bbeca8db4aa85940020d8774663c9477.png

First tier site data only? Pretty sure the bliz of '82 delt STL region upwards of 20" which continued over thru S Indiana?

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

First tier site data only? Pretty sure the bliz of '82 delt STL region upwards of 20" which continued over thru S Indiana?

Yeah, I didn't bother with in between locations.  

The band with the 1982 storm was more sw-ne, so it went more into central IN. There was a max of ~25" in Illinois east of St. Louis.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Or the weeklies.  When will we finally get more troughing out west?

To reply to your other post, didn't the Euro weeklies/monthlies have a wet January in-store for much of the sub-forum? Going to be hard pressed to achieve that if we don't get some storminess going soon.  

Need that EPO ridge to retrograde towards the Aleutians, which is more typical in Nina's to centre the trough out west. Unless that changes, any s/w will be crushed under those HP's, lol. Can't afford to lose the heart of winter with practically no storms. Terrible start to winter!!

6 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

To reply to your other post, didn't the Euro weeklies/monthlies have a wet January in-store for much of the sub-forum? Going to be hard pressed to achieve that if we don't get some storminess going soon.  

Need that EPO ridge to retrograde towards the Aleutians, which is more typical in Nina's to centre the trough out west. Unless that changes, any s/w will be crushed under those HP's, lol. Can't afford to lose the heart of winter with practically no storms. Terrible start to winter!!

The monthly had wetter than average in January from roughly I-80 southward, with the wettest signal near the Ohio River.  I don't know what the weeklies have been showing lately... I just pick up on what others say and don't view those myself.

One bright spot this season is that our forum hasn't really had to deal with any fantasy storms on the models.   We haven't been chasing 7 day threats that only turn around to kick us in the nuts.   We've been spared the false hope .....if nothing else.

In contrast, the MA and NE forums have been teased relentlessly with big dog solutions showing up on various models, only to disappear with a cold slap in the face.   The euro's fantasy HECS for Jan4 being the latest rug pulled out from them.

Just an observation.   The pathetic snow seasons we've endured here across Central Ohio have really taken their toll on our once regular local posters.  I can think of several locals that were once regular posters up to about 2 or 3 years ago that have faded away and have been total no-shows this season.

I totally get it...snow is ultimately the attraction that drives us here.  There's been little to talk about and the few times there were, they ended up being head fakes.   

Would be nice for some of our fellow posters of the recent past to check in....

...damn we need a big dog bad.

3 hours ago, buckeye said:

One bright spot this season is that our forum hasn't really had to deal with any fantasy storms on the models.   We haven't been chasing 7 day threats that only turn around to kick us in the nuts.   We've been spared the false hope .....if nothing else.

In contrast, the MA and NE forums have been teased relentlessly with big dog solutions showing up on various models, only to disappear with a cold slap in the face.   The euro's fantasy HECS for Jan4 being the latest rug pulled out from them.

Sad but true. Even in the worst winters, we at least had the "Lets get this within 120 hours" fantasy longshot that never occurred. This year, outside of the occasional super-long range blip, nothing of note to even remotely peak interest. 

6 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Sad but true. Even in the worst winters, we at least had the "Lets get this within 120 hours" fantasy longshot that never occurred. This year, outside of the occasional super-long range blip, nothing of note to even remotely peak interest. 

The big dog that showed up on the GFS for several runs that was for this week is the only one I can think of.

Archived