Andre Empire
    Newest Member
    Andre Empire
Jtm12180

Hurricane Maria

4 minutes ago, wxmx said:

atlpot.png

Wow the area in the Fla straights.

900-910 mb looks about right for the waters near PR.  Somewhat SE of there it's 880-890 mb though.

TWC seriously sent a reporter to San Juan, PR. Also one of their better reporters, Paul Goodloe. Dumb move by TWC.

(I assume they think they have to top the Naples landfall footage?)

Does anyone know what the terrain is like on St Croix? I'm wondering if a direct hit there could disrupt the core similarly to what happened with the impact to Dominica. Obviously it would be terrible news for St Croix but it might save PR from total catastrophic impact.

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Does anyone know what the terrain is like on St Croix? I'm wondering if a direct hit there could disrupt the core similarly to what happened with the impact to Dominica. Obviously it would be terrible news for St Croix but it might save PR from total catastrophic impact.

Highest elevation is 1,165 ft.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

highest peak is 1k, not sure if that will do much.. vs Dominica almost 5k

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Far less mountainous, unlikely to be disruptive.

8 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

TWC seriously sent a reporter to San Juan, PR. Also one of their better reporters, Paul Goodloe. Dumb move by TWC.

They're the weather channel, of-course they sent someone to PR. There are several storm chasers down there as well I'm sure. They know there is a high likelihood that they'll be there for an extended period. The footage should be spectacularly horrifying. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Mt eagle has an elevation of 1100 feet so i imagine some potential disruption if the eye make direct overpass   Edit. Never mind others have pointed out Dominica was 5x. Higher and that didn't buy much in terms of disruption.    Best bet for pr outside of staying at sea would be having it tangle a bit with El Yunque 

2 minutes ago, Hotair said:

Mt eagle has an elevation of 1100 feet so i imagine some potential disruption if the eye make direct overpass 

won't be to good for st croix if the eye went over the island....

Doesn't that dropsonde have a gust signature? Highest wind is near the surface and then dropping off until a secondary peak couple hundred feet up?

• Like 1

Just now, Superstorm93 said:

Instantaneous 

That was the SW eyewall. Winds might be stronger. 

That's still pretty spectacular, given that it was the SW eyewall.  And it hit the surface at 921 hPa, which suggests to me that the center might have gone below 909.