Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Low deck, stiff NE wind, big whitecaps, occasional showers. Think this is as close as I come to a tropical system this summer.

:) I like that description there, Hoth-n-ator ...

I lived out on the eastern tip of Cape Ann for a year back in the mid 1980s, and it reminds me of that... Not speaking to your ending lament about the tropics so much, but just the description of the day at hand.  It's always struck me just how different the shore can be comparing in mind's eye to as little as 10 miles inland. Today, both are enjoying murk in their own argument of what this weather means.  But, the shore version is till inherently different, just as it is inherently different in any type of weather.  A sunny day, is not that same as a sunny day here. The entire physical environment ... it all feeds back into an utterly different experience.

It really is about accepting an entirely different culture - particularly considering how much weather and climate in part sculpts. If weather and climate fit so much into the construct of life experiences, it really is a different acceptance altogether.  You get to the shore, and if you are there for any extended period of time, everything is distinctly different about reality.  The smells, the sounds... the visibility, hell, even the people, it's all different. It's like opening a door into another realm.

When the wind turns around and brings the interior through one's backyard, it's really more like THAT becomes the unusual.  Otherwise, I can remember countless days in Rockport Massachusetts, sidling up next to the ocean in a parka as NE wind drilled the smell of misty tide perpetually onshore, while the white noise of capped ocean surface swashed up against the rocks of the Headland. Meanwhile, out in Springfield Mass it was 30 F warmer with towering thunderclouds amid that summery aroma of higher humidity mixed with the ecologies of man and nature.

I think in the future, if I ever find myself in the wealth-wherewithal, ..a vacation home on the shore would be a real and true escape. 

16 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I lived out on the eastern tip of Cape Ann for a year back in the mid 1980s, and it reminds me of that... Not speaking to your ending lament about the tropics so much, but just the description of the day at hand.  It's always struck me just how different the shore can be comparing in mind's eye to as little as 10 miles inland. Today, both are enjoying murk in their own argument of what this weather means.  But, the shore version is till inherently different, just as it is inherently different in any type of weather.  A sunny day, is not that same as a sunny day here. The entire physical environment ... it all feeds back into an utterly different experience.

It really is about accepting an entirely different culture - particularly considering how much weather and climate in part sculpts. If weather and climate fit so much into the construct of life experiences, it really is a different acceptance altogether.  You get to the shore, and if you are there for any extended period of time, everything is distinctly different about reality.  The smells, the sounds... the visibility, hell, even the people, it's all different. It's like opening a door into another realm.

When the wind turns around and brings the interior through one's backyard, it's really more like THAT becomes the unusual.  Otherwise, I can remember countless days in Rockport Massachusetts, sidling up next to the ocean in a parka as NE wind drilled the smell of misty tide perpetually onshore, while the white noise of capped ocean surface swashed up against the rocks of the Headland. Meanwhile, out in Springfield Mass it was 30 F warmer with towering thunderclouds amid that summery aroma of higher humidity mixed with the ecologies of man and nature.

I think in the future, if I ever find myself in the wealth-wherewithal, ..a vacation home on the shore would be a real and true escape. 

Very well said, Tip. I always feel that returning to the mainland is kind of like passing into a different reality, and in more ways than just the weather.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yep, finely stated, my favorite days of my life where when I lived on the open ocean in Westerly RI

Was surfcasting out at Race Rock today. Noticed that the horizon was not its normal static self, but had a weird rising and falling heat ripple quality. Realized they were massive waves a few miles out where the waters of LI Sound and FI Sound were converging. It was pretty awesome. Barge went through there a few minutes later and had huge bursts of spray washing over its bow.

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Was surfcasting out at Race Rock today. Noticed that the horizon was not its normal static self, but had a weird rising and falling heat ripple quality. Realized they were massive waves a few miles out where the waters of LI Sound and FI Sound were converging. It was pretty awesome. Barge went through there a few minutes later and had huge bursts of spray washing over its bow.

Catch anything?

Archived