Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2017 Banter Thread

WeatherFeen2000

4 hours ago, Dakota said:

I definitely do *not* think there has been a 10 inch increase in average annual rainfall since the 1970's...I can look into the numbers; but I'm pretty sure the increase you are claiming is a little overblown.  Assuming arguendo the last 10 years were 10 inches wetter than the long term mean; that does not automatically make the new mean commensurate with those last 10 years.  In other words; Upton has averaged around 48 inches of snow the last 17 years; but that does not make Upton's average annual snowfall 48 inches; but rather simply increases the long term average ever so slightly upwards; the degree of the increase dependent upon the overall length of the  climate record.

Anyway, there have always been seasons where the bulk of the snow budget could be found in a single storm; Feb 1969 and Feb 1983 immediately come to mind.  This is very common in places where the average annual snowfall is light to moderate; and thus one snowstorm can often make or break the winter.

It's more like 42" to 49" from what I can recall from memory, but it might be like 41.4 to 49.7, I don't have eidetic memory :P  It should be fairly easily to compare though, take 30 year segments- 1951 to 1980 vs 1981 to 2010.

3 hours ago, jm1220 said:

I ended up with about a foot. A ton was wasted on the front end with sleet and rain in Long Beach. We had almost as much liquid as areas east of us. 

We get screwed either way lol.  Remember the retrograding Feb 2010 storm where Central Park got 20" inches of snow and it took our area the entire day to change over?  We ended up with over an inch of rain followed by about a foot of snow.  Feb 2013 was the opposite of that in that the heavier totals were to our east but we still started out with rain and ended up with a foot of snow on the back end.  It was like March 2001 except with a lot more precip.

12 minutes ago, Dakota said:

I know the feeling...

Rather apt for post 214...

2=B

1=A

4=D

You can't make this stuff up...

How did you end up moving to the Black Hills? I've always wanted to visit that area because I remember reading somewhere that it gets the most rapid temperature changes of any place on Earth.  A place called Spearfish I think.

I love temperature (or any other kind of) extremes!

5 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Well I had a friend who lived out there and she kept urging Me to relocate...and you know; I was getting simply squeezed to death by the property taxes out on LI...and when I quit My job in Feb 2016...not officially until April 2016...I took leave for a couple of months...nothing was holding Me here anymore.

She had invited Me out to her place in Dec 2015 for the Holidays; and then I drove out there in May 2016 for a few days...and then I actually lived at her place during the late winter of 2017 when I flew out there again.

I put My house up for sale in April 2016 and I closed 16 months later.  The day I closed; the buyers kicked My tail out and I lived in a hotel for 3 days and then was on a plane out here.  I didn't even have a house when I got here; but I looked online and found something while I was living out of a hotel in Rapid City.

The big expense was the moving costs: 13K for the truck.  They dropped it off and I rented a storage facility for My stuff until I got a place.

Then I moved in and everything has been not too bad since.

The taxes are pretty out of control and it only keeps getting worse, I suspect political corruption is to blame.  I expect that you can get a lot more property out there for much less.  The buyers seem to have been on the rude side, typically you should be getting a 30 day grace period to move out.

11 hours ago, Paragon said:

How did you end up moving to the Black Hills? I've always wanted to visit that area because I remember reading somewhere that it gets the most rapid temperature changes of any place on Earth.  A place called Spearfish I think.

I love temperature (or any other kind of) extremes!

Yeah, Spearfish has the most rapid temperature change ever recorded.  In just two minutes it went from -4° to 45°.   Loma, Montana has an incredible record as well, where it went from -54° to 49° in 24 hours.  That's a 103° change!  Can't forget Browning, Montana where it dropped from 44° to -56° in a day.  Montana also holds the record for coldest temperature in the lower 48, which is -70° at Rogers Pass.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dakota said:

I'll indulge you...

Is it Tony luvs Chris?

This reminds Me of how every time I bring up the Bing Homepage, I get this weird announcement:

"Susan Dey is 64 and now unrecognizable!"

If she's unrecognizable; how did they know it was her?

Tonylovessnow you meant haha, you're the best Pammy... I wish you the best of luck out there can't wait for the real winter to kick in out here it's been rather mild this autumn.

And here come the posts about how the stratospheric polar vortex is “splitting”, “warming”, “being disrupted”, “weakening” when it is doing absolutely nothing of the sort right now. Just saw this starting in another forum on this board. So tiring after the last few years of this banal exercise from November until April when people who don’t even have the slightest glimmer of a clue as to what the stratospheric PV is or what it does post the same false, clueless info over and over again for the next 5 months

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dakota said:

So what does it do? 

For in order to know what it does not do; one must know what it does do...

*Waits patiently*

*Also no copying 'n pasting from Wikipedia or some other internet repository; I want something extemporaneous...

As Professor Kingsfield once said to Hart At Harvard Law School in the Autumn of 1973, "Speak, fill this room with your intelligence."

Yesss

6 minutes ago, Dakota said:

I don't believe you can have it both ways.

The O.P. has indicated that no one in the thread in question knows what they are talking about...

I am simply asking that he prove his point...

I can easily agree with him that there's too many of those strat warming posts from people that have no idea what they're talking about but also love your post basically calling him out on copy pasting and his lack of personal knowledge on the subject.  

• Like 1

CFS is bloody red for the next 6 weeks.   If so we are going to wind up with a three month period that is +6degs. or +7degs. AN.

Sept. 13 --- Dec. 15 gone.  RIP

Funny thing is with Oct. now Number 1, we only knock the average monthly high record down by less than a year.   Somewhere under 30 years.  Previous record was only 10 years old.   The real target is Jan,. which is 85 years old.

CFS has a one track mind till April, May---as I mentioned before.

2 hours ago, Rjay said:

I can easily agree with him that there's too many of those strat warming posts from people that have no idea what they're talking about but also love your post basically calling him out on copy pasting and his lack of personal knowledge on the subject.  

All I will say is the folks who are posting the false info that the stratospheric PV is warming, splitting, being disrupted, doing river dances, jumping jacks and backflips right now might not want to look at the new CanSIPS and CFS runs; they both are showing a wall to wall epic torch winter from start to finish, I’m talking December right through March; super +AO, +NAO, +EPO, -PNA, +WPO. If correct, it will make the 2011-2012 winter look like an ice age.....

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

All I will say is the folks who are posting the false info that the stratospheric PV is warming, splitting, being disrupted, doing river dances, jumping jacks and backflips right now might not want to look at the new CanSIPS and CFS runs; they both are showing a wall to wall epic torch winter from start to finish, I’m talking December right through March; super +AO, +NAO, +EPO, -PNA, +WPO. If correct, it will make the 2011-2012 winter look like an ice age.....

Funny thing is that most of the general public would love such an outcome. 

Low heating bills, no wintry mess/disruptions on the roads, mild & beautiful weather in the 50s-70s from Dec-March is an ideal scenario for 95% of the population. It sounds pretty great to me too. 

I want this to be the first winter with zero snowfall in NYC because it has never been done before. I think we'll get close.

We had several years of great snowfalls and snowstorms so I don't mind seeing nothing this season. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Funny thing is that most of the general public would love such an outcome. 

Low heating bills, no wintry mess/disruptions on the roads, mild & beautiful weather in the 50s-70s from Dec-March is an ideal scenario for 95% of the population. It sounds pretty great to me too. 

I want this to be the first winter with zero snowfall in NYC because it has never been done before. I think we'll get close.

We had several years of great snowfalls and snowstorms so I don't mind seeing nothing this season. 

Im going to make sure I bump this when the winter is over. I highly doubt that's gonna happen 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

What does the MAM say?

MAM 

Winter 2017-18 winter forecast for 

Central Park (NYC), A.K.A. (KNYC)

November 2017 

Rain: 2.55 inches

Snow: 0.00

Temperature: +0.4 degrees

December 2017

Rain: 0.49

Snow: 1.4 inches

Temperature: -1.2 degrees

January 2018

Rain: 0.28 inches

Snow: 5.3 inches

Temperature: -4.7 degrees

February 2018 

Rain: 2.59 inches

Snow: 41.78 inches

Temperature: -1.1 degrees 

March 2018

Rain: 5.63 inches

Snow: Trace

Temperature: +1.3 degrees

April 2018

Rain 1.72 inches

Snow: Trace

Temperature: -2.4 degrees.

With the clocks going back this weekend we're really going to start dropping into the doldrums of late Autumn.

We've been lucky that it's been a relatively dry and mild Autumn so far, however that looks to change, at least somewhat moving ahead. I'm playing golf on Saturday afternoon in an attempt to hold onto the last gasps of outdoor activities. 

So we're three weeks away from Thanksgiving and about 7 1/2 weeks away from Christmas, and then we start turning the corner as days begin getting longer once again. It will be a slow few weeks in January, especially if the Southeast ridge returns, which I strongly favor in my thinking. After that it's two weeks for pitchers and catchers, the Daytona 500 and away we go as the long awaited first signs of Spring begin to emerge. It's always a great feeling that first day in late March when you can open up the windows and breathe in the fresh air after being cooped up for the previous 14 weeks or so.

I love snow as much as anyone, but I have no use for cold. And the older I get, the more and more I hate the Winter. I take solace in knowing that legitimate Winter in these parts is usually no more than a 12 week affair, and hopefully this year it will be even less.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

...It's always a great feeling that first day in late March when you can open up the windows and breathe in the fresh air after being cooped up for the previous 14 weeks or so.

I love snow as much as anyone, but I have no use for cold. And the older I get, the more and more I hate the Winter. I take solace in knowing that legitimate Winter in these parts is usually no more than a 12 week affair, and hopefully this year it will be even less.

You need to get a fat bike and some good active outdoor winter clothing. There's nothing like getting out in the woods during the winter when everything is in a state of hibernation and the snow is just right. You don't even notice the cold if you're dressed right. There are some great places around the metro area for winter riding and just over the line in PA there are groomed trail networks where fat bikes are allowed and you can go for miles and miles in the quiet solitude of winter. There's no such thing as being cooped up, it's what you make of it ;) 

• Like 3

I super-hate early sunsets, we’re too far east in this time zone. It’d be nice if we could keep Eastern Daylight Time year round, but the U.S. government doesn’t allow year round DST, only opting out of DST. Making the switch to Atlantic Standard Time year round would solve that problem, multiple New England states have recently proposed switching.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I super-hate early sunsets, we’re too far east in this time zone. It’d be nice if we could keep Eastern Daylight Time year round, but the U.S. government doesn’t allow DST year round, only opting out of DST, switching to Atlantic Standard Time year round would solve that problem, multiple New England states have recently proposed switching.

The flip side though is if we kept EDT then sunrise on Christmas Day for example would be 8:22am.  

6 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I super-hate early sunsets, we’re too far east in this time zone. It’d be nice if we could keep Eastern Daylight Time year round, but the U.S. government doesn’t allow DST year round, only opting out of DST. Making the switch to Atlantic Standard Time year round would solve that problem, multiple New England states have recently proposed switching.

Then you have 8:15 to 8:30 AM sunrises.   No thank you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

and imagine the sunrise times in western areas of the time zone...9am?   LOL.   Nothing is going to change.   Hard to have one state change and the other stay etc etc.  DST to EST and back to DST is not going anywhere anytime soon.

There's less daylight no matter how people want to spin it. I once heard it said, though I don't recall where or who said it, but daylight savings time is like cutting an inch off of the top of the blanket and sewing it to the bottom, the blanket remains the same size regardless.

Just now, IrishRob17 said:

There's less daylight no matter how people want to spin it. I once heard it said, though I don't recall where or who said it, but daylight savings time is like cutting an inch off of the top of the blanket and sewing it to the bottom, the blanket remains the same size regardless.

I just want the euro to come out at 1 am instead of 2, is that too much to ask?

• Like 3

• Rjay unpinned this topic