joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Merrill or North Face for me.

Merrill's are my favorite.  Just grabbed a pair for $75 at a local ski shop doing an end of summer sale.  

Have you had new Merrill's in the last few years?

They were always my favorite for hiking boots and sandals.

I bought new sandals two years ago and they suck.  Velcro is in the wrong place on the straps, stitching is crap.

I think they got bought out a few years back.  

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Maybe totality? I remember the one in 94....was in HS. 

The one in 94 was an Annular eclipse vs a total eclipse.  I was up at Lyndon State at the time and we were right in the center of it.  The annular is where the moon is further away from the earth, where the total is where the moon is close to the earth.

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

The one in 94 was an Annular eclipse vs a total eclipse.  I was up at Lyndon State at the time and we were right in the center of it.  The annular is where the moon is further away from the earth, where the total is where the moon is close to the earth.

Yeah that was fun. Nothing like a whole class staring out at the sun when we were told not to. 

4 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

A couple things to note as we hear the death-knell of summer:

Maximum sun angle is now below 60* (solstice high of 71*)

We've lost an hour and 37 (?) minutes of daylight.

The rate of daily daytime loss is now 2:38, a rate which will increase to 2:44/day by the end of the the month.

tic-toc.

Pretty soul crushing post. 

The end of summer tree-buzzers/cicadas started about a week ago.

Male gold finches getting dirty looking.

Hummingbirds getting increasingly hostile.

Great sleeping weather all summer it seems...

Low of 53F, which is pretty normal but I think we've only had a few days all JJA that haven't gotten at least into the 50s.

In the 5 years of living here this is the first summer I haven't turned on the AC once.  Will probably have to use it a half dozen times in September haha.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

I don't know why they keep forgetting about the great annular eclipse in May 1994.  NH was right on the centerline.   I had 88% obs-curation. (Is that the right word?).  If the moon's orbit had been a bit closer we would have had a total eclipse.  A annular centerline eclipse is actually a much bigger deal than this one will be here in New England.  I have videos of that eclipse and it barely got noticeably darker.  So I'm not expecting much today.  That eclipse occurred on a mostly sunny day at around noon with a few Cu.  I didn't record the temperature.  Temperatures during solar eclipses can drop but it depends on the time of the day and the humidity too.  A couple of hours of a passing cirrus patch would probably have the same effect.  Our turn comes in 6 years and 9 months when another solar eclipse passes over the Eastern US.  The moon will be closer for that eclipse, thus a wider path, longer eclipse and darker skies.  Path comes from upper NYS right over N VT and N NH.  April 8th is a tough time of year for clear skies.  If you act fast you can book a hotel on the Pacific Mexico coast and get a vacation and total eclipse all in one for that one.  That is what we did in 1998 in Aruba and it was the best decision I ever made!

5 minutes ago, Dan said:

Of course early April in New England, whats the chances its going to be sunny, probably not all that great.

Hopefully when it happens, rain turns into snow for 10 minutes due to lack of solar insolation...ices up the roads and causes crashes...and then melts again 10  minutes later. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Hopefully when it happens, rain turns into snow for 10 minutes due to lack of solar insolation...ices up the roads and causes crashes...and then melts again 10  minutes later. 

lol. That's great. I wonder if my chickens will start going to bed midday. 

50 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I don't know why they keep forgetting about the great annular eclipse in May 1994.  NH was right on the centerline.   I had 88% obs-curation. (Is that the right word?).  If the moon's orbit had been a bit closer we would have had a total eclipse.  A annular centerline eclipse is actually a much bigger deal than this one will be here in New England.  I have videos of that eclipse and it barely got noticeably darker.  So I'm not expecting much today.  That eclipse occurred on a mostly sunny day at around noon with a few Cu.  I didn't record the temperature.  Temperatures during solar eclipses can drop but it depends on the time of the day and the humidity too.  A couple of hours of a passing cirrus patch would probably have the same effect.  Our turn comes in 6 years and 9 months when another solar eclipse passes over the Eastern US.  The moon will be closer for that eclipse, thus a wider path, longer eclipse and darker skies.  Path comes from upper NYS right over N VT and N NH.  April 8th is a tough time of year for clear skies.  If you act fast you can book a hotel on the Pacific Mexico coast and get a vacation and total eclipse all in one for that one.  That is what we did in 1998 in Aruba and it was the best decision I ever made!

The 2024 eclipse passes smack-dab over my brother's in-laws' house in the Adirondacks. I've already informed them that I'll be making a visit. Fingers crossed for good weather.

I was in Texas at my dad's during the July 1991 eclipse that gave Mexico totality. We had about 70% in Austin...there was no noticeable dimming at all. But it was cool to look through the solar glass that someone had and see it partially covered.

This one will probably be similar in MA today....I'd like to chase the 2024 eclipse in Texas (I have zero faith we will have clear skies in Northern New England).

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was in Texas at my dad's during the July 1991 eclipse that gave Mexico totality. We had about 70% in Austin...there was no noticeable dimming at all. But it was cool to look through the solar glass that someone had and see it partially covered.

This one will probably be similar in MA today....I'd like to chase the 2024 eclipse in Texas (I have zero faith we will have clear skies in Northern New England).

They can't even have clear skies in July. I agree...April in NNE does not inspire hope.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

They can't even have clear skies in July. I agree...April in NNE does not inspire hope.

Yeah if I can, I'd want to chase the 2024 eclipse by flying down to Austin and then probably driving west a bit...Austin itself will get totality, but they are on the edge of the path so it probably won't last more than a minute or two...it may last up to 4 and a half minutes in the center line which is a bit west of them.

Archived