Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

7 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

It was 71.4% here and it got dim here. Almost like looking out of a car with tinted windows 

Yeah even here it got a bit dim, but not a lot...maybe I just didn't remember from 1991...I was probably expecting it to be more noticeable back then but was underwhelmed. Either way, to see any real darkness, you have to be almost totally covered.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say...I take back some of the hype this had in totality areas. I was getting a little rolling of the eyes when listening to the talk of this, but the live shots in the areas that had totality were just awesome. I would put this as something on the list of cool things to witness before kicking the bucket. Ryan said while it got dark at CHS, there was a tstm spitting out CGs just inland from him. That had to be incredible to see.

26 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Cooled a few degrees during the eclipse. I'm thinking of skiing Jay Peak for the 2024 event. A longer totality and Jay Peak appears to be a great location. But skycover in early/mid April :/

eclipse temp.jpg

Jay Cloud. It will be the one day where they don't advertise 12" of snow. They'll say it's clear when it's probably 29F and overcast. 

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Here's a good map that shows the totality boundaries...flagstaff lake looks well within it.

2024eclipse.jpg

It's about 1/3 the way from southern limit to central line, maybe a minute of totality.  Chain of Ponds would be better, though 30 miles farther drive and less parking.

Though I made no attempt to observe the crescent sun, 58-60% eclipse made no discernible difference in the ambient light as seen from my office.  If the change had been a sudden drop by 60%, it would've been noticeable, but with low-60s TD haze, the gradual lessening-brightening was a non-event here.

30 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Darkness falls across the land....the midnight hour is close at hand.

creatures crawl in search of blood

to terrorize y'alls neighborhood

See that's what should have been done. How awesome would it have been for a crowd to do that zombie dance from MJs music video. Instead they were playing this weird sensual music with bag pipes. 

6 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Totality in SC. I have to say... I'd probably cash in a 24" HECS to see this again. 

IMG_1053.PNG

That is a crazy great picture.  How many times can you see that in your lifetime?  This could win an award.  Not just for the eclipse but the ocean, people everything.  Great job!!

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

That is a crazy great picture.  How many times can you see that in your lifetime?  This could win an award.  Not just for the eclipse but the ocean, people everything.  Great job!!

That's exactly what I texted him . That's an award winning photo and one we will see everywhere. May become the face of this eclipse.

9 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Ill be watching the eclipse from this spot in 2024!!! My grandfather lives on the lake so already got my place to stay...  and from the top of the mountain you can see 50 miles in every direction... 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Pinacle

I'm really excited for that one!  I'm just impatient because it's 7 years away lol.

57 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Thank you! I did a time lapse on my go pro. So excited to see these once I got back from the beach.

25 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Thank you! I did a time lapse on my go pro. So excited to see these once I got back from the beach.

Badass pic you got. That's awesome. 

I was prob gonna do it anyway, but watching the live feeds today and seeing the pics cemented my decision to chase in Texas in 2024. That one should be a doozy...about 4 and a half minutes of totality there and 3+ minutes in NNE. But the climo really sucks in our neck of the woods for that one...early April...ugh. 

Archived