Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Your 8th Annual SNE Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

15 hours ago, dendrite said:

Fire blight? Apple scab?

Now that I look again I think my pear tree has scab...lots of dark spots on the leaves and fruit. I'll have to do my best to rake up all of the leaves and fallen fruit from that tree this year to help prevent it worsening next year. I have a copper fungicide here, but I really don't want to spray it with the chickens free ranging everyday. What kind of apples do you have there? I've been thinking about adding a couple of liberty trees. They're supposed to be very disease resistant.

Bad news, your pear is kicked. I highly recommend removing it now. Otherwise it's just going to look like crap forever. Bite the bullet and remove it. Fall is the best time to plant trees so that's a great time to replace it. I recommend replacing it with a Kousa Dogwood. 

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

If you skip to about 2 minutes and 25 seconds into the video and I skim over the lawn you see bright green and then lots of brown spots.  Those are all over the lawn. Meanwhile it's 1215pm and raining and 56.8F outside.  Maybe that will shake the lawn up!

red thread has been pretty bad this year thanks to all the rain. it is hard to see it from the video, but that is my guess. also, keep in mind you haven't had any appreciable rain (prior to yesterday) since what, around the 14th? since that last rain fall it has been fairly dry, which will dry out the lawn quickly. so I think you might have both red thread and some heat-stressed areas. not much you can do about red thread unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelius said:

Does anyone happen to know what this plant is?  It's like a cross between bamboo and a cornstalk. It sprouts each spring and grows to about 12-15'  and then browns up each fall. 

IMG_2794.PNG

Looks like an ornamental grass if it's growing that large.  See if any web searches pull anything up.

13 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelius said:

Does anyone happen to know what this plant is?  It's like a cross between bamboo and a cornstalk. It sprouts each spring and grows to about 12-15'  and then browns up each fall. 

IMG_2794.PNG

Do the blades change in coloring aside from going totally brown eventually, does anything like a zebra stripe develop? 

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Looks like an ornamental grass if it's growing that large.  See if any web searches pull anything up.

I was thinking that too but 12-15' tall is pretty tall for grass I'm guessing but unsure myself.

4 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Do the blades change in coloring aside from going totally brown eventually, does anything like a zebra stripe develop? 

I was thinking that too but 12-15' tall is pretty tall for grass I'm guessing but unsure myself.

No - no different coloring or anything that shoots out of the top. It just looks exactly like that until it reaches max height and starts browning out/dying in the fall. I then cut the shoots at the ground level and then it comes up again each spring.

I'd like to plant more of it on my property, but still can't figure out exactly what it is after scouring the internet. 

Anyone try propagating trees from softwood cuttings before? Any tips? I've tried a couple dozen from various trees this year using a homemade tea from a white willow in my yard to substitute as a rooting hormone. I'm leaving them in the tea for now instead of putting them in a soilless substrate. 

Needles seem long for pitch and the bark looks more like red, though bark on trees that young often don't have the good ID character.  Try bending a needle.  If it folds, probably PP; if it breaks, RP.

Rooting softwoods is notoriously difficult, though I've never tried it.  Maybe try Rootone or something like it, perhaps after searching the web for possible tips. 

Concerning that tall grass:  Does it produce large seed heads in late summer?  If so, it's probably Phragmites, an invasive species more common to the south.  (If not, I have no clue.)

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Concerning that tall grass:  Does it produce large seed heads in late summer?  If so, it's probably Phragmites, an invasive species more common to the south.  (If not, I have no clue.)

I have some of that but from that photo is looks a little different.

Edit: Upon further review, you may be onto something, I have a larger patch of it so at first glance that smaller patch in the photo looked different.

3 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Each needle cluster has 3 needles which does fit with the pitch pine number listed there. The bark looks so red though. The needles are very full and "bushy".

It looks exactly like this though and this guy lists it as a pitch pine (pinus rigida) as well.

P_rigi_branch1tn.JPG

Our gardens look good this year.  Lots of rain helped. Now the first long dry spell begins but the soil is moist all the way down.  Very different than last year.  We have gardens all around the house and road.  I like color.  The daylilly/hydrangea garden is in full bloom.  Annuals around the house are filling in.  Here's a few pics.  Hey does anyone know why our hydrangea's don't have more blooms?  We went down to the Cape 2 weeks ago and the hydrangea's down there have  so many blooms.  Ours are nice and green but not nearly as many blooms.  Maybe the climate difference?  Cape is 150 miles south and 1100 feet lower.  Thoughts?

2.jpg

DL1.jpg

DL2.jpg

DL3.jpg

G3.jpg

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Our gardens look good this year.  Lots of rain helped. Now the first long dry spell begins but the soil is moist all the way down.  Very different than last year.  We have gardens all around the house and road.  I like color.  The daylilly/hydrangea garden is in full bloom.  Annuals around the house are filling in.  Here's a few pics.  Hey does anyone know why our hydrangea's don't have more blooms?  We went down to the Cape 2 weeks ago and the hydrangea's down there have  so many blooms.  Ours are nice and green but not nearly as many blooms.  Maybe the climate difference?  Cape is 150 miles south and 1100 feet lower.  Thoughts?

2.jpg

DL1.jpg

DL2.jpg

DL3.jpg

G3.jpg

Beautiful Gene

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Beautiful landscaping.

I've always noticed that hydrangeas near the coast do way better than further inland. Just figured they must like the salty environment.

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

2.jpg

DL1.jpg

DL2.jpg

DL3.jpg

G3.jpg

someone has a green thumb! Nice views, nice land

hydrangeas (primarily) bloom from old growth, cold winters will kill stalks so all your left with is new growth which comes from the root and has fewer blooms. warm winter down here didn't kill old growth thus more blooms

7 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

2.jpg

DL1.jpg

DL2.jpg

DL3.jpg

G3.jpg

With hydrangeas it depends on the type you buy. Lots of older varieties bloom only on old wood, so like someone said earlier, if the buds get too cold over winter, you lose next year's blooms. There are newer varieties such as Endless Summer that bloom on old and new growth, I have a bunch of those at my place. I protect mine over winter which helps maximize blooms. Last year the cold snap in April really messed them up and I had barely any flowers. 

Well the blooms sucked here and it was a warm winter. Even Mar and early Apr were no big deal with late cold shots. We've had good years before with near -20F in the winter. The soil is fairly acidic where mine is planted too. I cut them back quite a bit 2 weeks ago...they may be getting too over grown. We'll see what happens next year.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

The Cape always had great Hydrangeas. I also think the soil and Ph also matters too. 

Our Hydrangeas had some of the best blooms this year. My sister's hydrangeas in Narragansett right on the water were blooming like crazy as well.

Thanks for all the great advice on the hydrangeas.  I think I have been doing it wrong.  I think our plants are now  4 seasons old.  In the spring I wait for buds and small leaves to appear on the woody growth.  Above any noticeable buds I trim the wood back.  Maybe I should just leave the plants alone and not prune at all?  Perhaps deeper into spring more buds would appear further up the woody steams?  Wow, BZone.  I would love to have bushes like yours.  With the yellow and red daylilies the thick blooms would look spectacular!  I know the soil PH changes the bloom color.  I was noticing on the cape that the blooms are dark blue like yours.  Up here it seems the blues are much more muted.  We have very acidic soil. Would adding lime make a difference or are the roots so deep that some line on the surface wouldn't matter?

Again, thanks for everyone's input!

Archived