Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Your 8th Annual SNE Lawn Thread

Damage In Tolland

33 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Great!  I'm not that familiar with all the cultivars.  However, PWM has probably the most well-developed and thorough urban forestry program in the state, so their recommendations should be on target.  My preference in red maple color is bright red with a hint of burgundy tone.  The best and most reliable exemplar I've seen is about halfway up Sand Hill on Northern Avenue in Augusta.  In autumn 2005, the worst year for color in my memory, that tree had the only true red that I saw.  This true turns 7-10 days later than its neighbors, and often holds good color into early November.

I learned quite a bit so far. There is a cultivar Autumn Blaze that I think peaks around late September, while October Glory and Autumn Sunset are closer to the second week of October. And I think those are all females. 

We don't really have the same restrictions are most street trees because of the lack of overhead wires, but I agree a nice vibrant red in the fall would be nice.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Looks great, but u didn't build a house on a pile of granite. We will never have a lawn like that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

just offering options is all. nothin more.  i had a contractor dump very sandy/rocky soil over a 1/3 of the yard when i had to replace my septic. that portion of the lawn took some time to recover. have you had your soil tested? how much top soil do you have? GLTY

just offering options is all. nothin more.  i had a contractor dump very sandy/rocky soil over a 1/3 of the yard when i had to replace my septic. that portion of the lawn took some time to recover. have you had your soil tested? how much top soil do you have? GLTY

Thanks. Yes, soil was tested last year and was slightly acidic. Topsoil in pic is quite thin hence why the quote reflects 2-3" in spots. Your lawn looks great. Wish I had that. What kind of grass seed did u use?

9 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

8-10'. I had the nursery I bought them from, deliver them. 

Good deal.  Seven years ago I planted a sugar maple, red maple, and river birch, they were 18-24" tall and are up to about 10-12' now.  I had them protected in 4' tubes which worked great until they grew just above the top and the deer managed to chew the leaders on all three at various points one winter.  I had to rig up a bit of an extension to protect the branch that took over as each leader and now thankfully they are doing well overall.  

Anyone have sone tips on distinguishing between norway and sugar maple seedlings? I'm going to transplant and pot a handful of them, but I can do without the invasives. I look for the rounded node tips for the larger sugar leaves, but it's difficult to tell on the tiny 2-4" tall ones.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Anyone have sone tips on distinguishing between norway and sugar maple seedlings? I'm going to transplant and pot a handful of them, but I can do without the invasives. I look for the rounded node tips for the larger sugar leaves, but it's difficult to tell on the tiny 2-4" tall ones.

snap off a leaf. norway maples have white milky sap and sugar maples don't.

what a tree weenie you've turned into, btw.

On 8/3/2017 at 7:39 AM, Lava Rock said:

Thanks. Yes, soil was tested last year and was slightly acidic. Topsoil in pic is quite thin hence why the quote reflects 2-3" in spots. Your lawn looks great. Wish I had that. What kind of grass seed did u use?

thanks, i sometimes think i put too much time into it, i know my wife does

URI #2 which is developed for local condition not sure how it would do up there

https://www.turfmagazine.com/lawn-care/uris-projects-in-progress/

https://www.neseed.com/Buy-10lb-URI-No-2-Improved-Grass-Seed-p/72350.htm

http://hardwaredistributors.com/uri-2-lawn-seed-mix-25lb.html

On 8/3/2017 at 0:00 PM, Lava Rock said:

New hydroseed area is toast

Compare july 2 to now:

hydroseed.jpg

3552ae5a4cd51773c14987e8aaec64ab.jpg

if you haven't had a lot of rain which i think you mentioned, it could just be dormant, if so it will come back when when it rains again and lower sun angles , just need to control weeds / insects and let what is there to establish itself

40 minutes ago, S&P said:

if you haven't had a lot of rain which i think you mentioned, it could just be dormant, if so it will come back when when it rains again and lower sun angles , just need to control weeds / insects and let what is there to establish itself

My concern is the roots drying out as well since it was newly seeded this Spring and they weren't able to root deep enough.  He should notice in a few weeks if the lawn is truly toast once we get those cool nights ans AM dews that wake the lawns up.  I despise Spring seeding if you don't have the irrigation to keep it watered adequately.

My concern is the roots drying out as well since it was newly seeded this Spring and they weren't able to root deep enough.  He should notice in a few weeks if the lawn is truly toast once we get those cool nights ans AM dews that wake the lawns up.  I despise Spring seeding if you don't have the irrigation to keep it watered adequately.

Either way, I'm bringing in more loam and going to put down some high quality KBG.

17 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

snap off a leaf. norway maples have white milky sap and sugar maples don't.

what a tree weenie you've turned into, btw.

I've ripped off quite a few leaves and none showed white milky sap. Here's some leaves from varius trees around the yard. I suspect some red, sugar, and norway in these pics?

IMG_6343.JPG

IMG_6344.JPG

IMG_6345.JPG

IMG_6346.JPG

IMG_6347.JPG

IMG_6348.JPG

IMG_6349.JPG

IMG_6350.JPG

IMG_6351.JPG

IMG_6352.JPG

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I've ripped off quite a few leaves and none showed white milky sap. Here's some leaves from varius trees around the yard. I suspect some red, sugar, and norway in these pics?

Lots of red maple, sugar maples and maples tamarack will have to identify.  #5 and #6 don't look pointy enough to be norway maples, and if there was no sap, then you're safe.

3 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Lots of red maple, sugar maples and maples tamarack will have to identify.  #5 and #6 don't look pointy enough to be norway maples, and if there was no sap, then you're safe.

I *think* a lot of those are red? I was sorta looking for the rounded base of the leaf with 3 lobes. 5 and 6 came from the same tree and I suspected Norway. Which ones are you leaning sugar on?

34 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Anybody else notice that the Norwegian maples are turning brown? Almost like a fungus or something. I noticed quite a bit with damaged leaves. Good riddance to those trees.

Completely brown or tar spots? I've read they're more prone to the tar spot fungi than other maples.

Archived