Newest Member
    joxey
March med-long range disco thread 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

After Tuesday we have a short break then day 9 sweeps down.  Some members blow this up. Onlyyyyy 30+ runs left... but that's the fun isn't it.

f216.gif

We just need to score something real first. Maybe we can eek out climo?  Not holding my breath, but stranger things have happened in my 46.11 years on big blue. ;) Fingers crossed...

6 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

After Tuesday we have a short break then day 9 sweeps down.  Some members blow this up. Onlyyyyy 30+ runs left... but that's the fun isn't it.

f216.gif

We were talking about snow on snow a few days ago. Maybe it's Tuesday/Saturday instead of Sunday/Tuesday. 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Sign me up. Going back through the 122 years of data I compiled some of the biggest snows up here were late march and even some in early April way back. Have to believe that will eventually happen again. 

Out of curiosity, where do you find all that data?

ETA: never mind, I think you answered in another thread and I missed it.

9 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

You know Ers got a chuckle out of that post.

It was in fun. Of course maybe our luck flips and we get snow Tuesday/Saturday/and with that day 16 thing. It is a shame this pattern is setting in now. If it was even just 2 weeks earlier our odds of getting out of this without a good snow would be much lower. 

7 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Out of curiosity, where do you find all that data?

Back in the day I requested data from the regional climate offices. Now most of it is online through climod2. I compiled all the random coop data from around my area then wasted way too much time pulling out snowfall records and compiling a record of all the snow events in this area. Coop sites moved around over the years so it's not official and Manchester is a local max even in Carroll county so my numbers might be low for my location but it gives an idea. 

Amazing how chaos works. So given the blocking breaking down and a not so great PAC things were probably going warm again after Tuesday. But now that Tuesday blows up and becomes another 50/50 it creates another threat day 9-10. Then that might become the 50/50 that sets up a threat aroumd march 24.  But remove the Tuesday storm and the whole period might be mild. 

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Back in the day I requested data from the regional climate offices. Now most of it is online through climod2. I compiled all the random coop data from around my area then wasted way too much time pulling out snowfall records and compiling a record of all the snow events in this area. Coop sites moved around over the years so it's not official and Manchester is a local max even in Carroll county so my numbers might be low for my location but it gives an idea. 

Yeah, I just saw your other reply a few weeks ago.

Some of the 30"+ totals in 1958 and 1942 really stood out for me. I'm not even sure how historic storms from mid-winter compare up in your area.

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It was in fun. Of course maybe our luck flips and we get snow Tuesday/Saturday/and with that day 16 thing. It is a shame this pattern is setting in now. If it was even just 2 weeks earlier our odds of getting out of this without a good snow would be much lower. 

Frankly,  any other winter and I'd be pretty optimistic right now. But this winter has been one bad taste in the mouth after another,  so I'm still more skeptical than if this was progged next year.  That said, it's really close to being something big so I'll stick around for the show. And there's a part of me that is saying the regime has changed from what was killing us up to a few weeks ago, so forget the past 3 months. Just a shame it's so late. A couple weeks earlier would have been ideal.

6 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Frankly,  any other winter and I'd be pretty optimistic right now. But this winter has been one bad taste in the mouth after another,  so I'm still more skeptical than if this was progged next year.  That said, it's really close to being something big so I'll stick around for the show. And there's a part of me that is saying the regime has changed from what was killing us up to a few weeks ago, so forget the past 3 months. Just a shame it's so late. A couple weeks earlier would have been ideal.

GFS or I am going to bed

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived