Sign in to follow this  
CapturedNature

Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

2 minutes ago, TwoDogNight said:

Thanks.  Does the cinnamon oil work?  Ticks are unreal this year.  Might have to try backyard chickens!!!

Seems too. No ticks  on any of our 8 dogs,(2 rescue fosters) we have over an acre of fenced in areas they roam.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Oaks are about halfway out, and I can see holes chewed in the leaves already looking up the trees. What a win 

So you like having to cut down trees, grind stumps, and deal with depressions in yard when the rest of the root system rots?  My ornamental cherries are looking rough this year after gypsy attack last year, but I would hate to loose any of the mature trees in my yard.  (Back to long time lurker mode).  

2 minutes ago, TwoDogNight said:

So you like having to cut down trees, grind stumps, and deal with depressions in yard when the rest of the root system rots?  My ornamental cherries are looking rough this year after gypsy attack last year, but I would hate to loose any of the mature trees in my yard.  (Back to long time lurker mode).  

Please continue to post! We also lost a small white pine.

57 minutes ago, TwoDogNight said:

What town in CT do you live in?

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What town in CT do you live in?

No town in CT.  Mendon, MA. The Blackstone Valley area got hit pretty hard last year.  I saw pics that Ginx posted last year...it was worse than my yard...by far...but I fear this year it's my turn.  I sprayed some Bt about a week ago.

And since you have a picture fetish :-)  Pic is from post ID 423 in the 6th annual SNE lawn thread.  Cherry looked better 2 years ago than today.  :-(

20150511_075942.jpg  

As bad as the blackflies were the other night, they were worse today. No exposed piece of human flesh was safe this evening. I was mowing (tractor) in the sun and it didn't matter. I challenge Eek to come over and survive 5 minutes outside here.

33 minutes ago, dendrite said:

As bad as the blackflies were the other night, they were worse today. No exposed piece of human flesh was safe this evening. I was mowing (tractor) in the sun and it didn't matter. I challenge Eek to come over and survive 5 minutes outside here.

Basically no biting bugs here yet, just some friendly gnats.

I've been trying to schedule a chicken visit for ages but my damn ankle got me so far behind that I'm working 7am to 8pm now trying to get caught up.  Another couple weeks and I should be mostly done. 

One lazy-ass hummingbird finally arrived back today. One female rose breasted grosbeak. Zero orioles. Oranges everywhere.

I hate black flies more then ticks

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Depends...at Lyndon State, it was an entire year. Fall semester it was intro to research methods where you learned how to collect data, statistically analyze it, and identify reliable research sources. Spring semester was designing your experiment, collecting your data and writing the paper.

I did a water quality analysis of snow melt run off from Burke Mountain Ski Resort, pre and post ski season.

Awesome thank you!  I'm thinking of doing internship and research b/c I'm not entirely sure what route I want to try and go. 

39 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You NNE people and black flies.

Never had a problem with mosquito bites, but black flies are a different story. So itchy I would consider chopping off an extremity. 

I started up my truck a few mins before leaving this morning. When I went back out there were thousands swarming it. It's like a horror movie right now.

19 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I started up my truck a few mins before leaving this morning. When I went back out there were thousands swarming it. It's like a horror movie right now.

they love chicken sh it

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Never had a problem with mosquito bites, but black flies are a different story. So itchy I would consider chopping off an extremity. 

I get eaten alive at the lake by skeeters. Might as well be one big can of DEET.

59 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Pic of dead Oak in yard reminder 

some of us work for a living, have a game right after work, maybe tomorrow is I have time

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

some of us work for a living, have a game right after work, maybe tomorrow is I have time

I'm at work now so I understand brethren. Maybe the wife can snap one and send to you 

55 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Weird fetish :huh:

its Kevin would you expect anything but weird. I mean dude wants to step in gypsy moth poop all summer long so they eat his oaks so he has to chop them down at a 2K expense leaving divots and open space with no shade.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

I'm at work now so I understand brethren. Maybe the wife can snap one and send to you 

Some of us have wives who work full time jobs too

15 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I didn't spray for Gypsy Moth, we spray cinnamon oil extract for ticks and fleas. The Gyspies here hatched and were everywhere, the next day after a rain and cold night they were all dead. One Oak did not come back this year. 

Were any of those dead worms hanging from bark in upside-down "V" shape?  That's diagnostic for the polyhedral virus that has ended some past outbreaks.  (Otherwise, something else killed them.)

I hate black flies more then ticks

Blackflies are irritating, but the season here lasts only 2-3 weeks (longer when I lived up north.)  Ticks are around whenever the snow is gone, along with possibly causing something much worse than an itchy couple of days.  When it comes to biting flies, I find deerflies 10X worse than either blackflies or mosquitos.  Can't outrun deerflies (I've had them pace my vehicle at up to 20 mph) and no repellent short of flaming kerosene has any effect.

Note to dendrite:  I've never been bitten by any of the thousands of blackflies that have wound up in my vehicles, tents, etc.  Mosquitos are another story.

35 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I get eaten alive at the lake by skeeters. Might as well be one big can of DEET.

Eek came over one day last spring and was amazed at how many more blackflies we had than he did. We have a decently flowing stream in the back woods and the Winni River right down the road so maybe it's a favorable breeding ground. Whatever it is, there's more of them and they're extra hungry this May.

8 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Were any of those dead worms hanging from bark in upside-down "V" shape?  That's diagnostic for the polyhedral virus that has ended some past outbreaks.  (Otherwise, something else killed them.)

yes and I posted that previously with a picture, these are all dead

moths.jpg