• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

Two days of rain and the deluge total is 0.34".  If this were last Sept when we were dusty dry, it would've been frustrating, but now it's just meh.  At least temps were about avg yesterday, high of 58.  Now Downeast was different - had about 10X what fell here.  The week looks messy, not all bad but most.  Summer arrives on day 14.  :lol:

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We partly sunny.  I could use sunshine to keep me sane given everything else going on lol.

Yeah...I could use some vit D3. No kids to keep me up all night here although sometimes my cats and chickens feel like havig kids. ;) There's been so many meh days and the nice ones I havent been able to enjoy much. Parts of the backyard have had standing water since the pack melted. I assume gene's pond is full.

I'd rather get the crap out of the way now if we had a choice though. If we can get the sunny wx in here for pool and beach season I can tolerate this now. 

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah...I could use some vit D3. No kids to keep me up all night here although sometimes my cats and chickens feel like havig kids. ;) There's been so many meh days and the nice ones I havent been able to enjoy much. Parts of the backyard have had standing water since the pack melted. I assume gene's pond is full.

I'd rather get the crap out of the way now if we had a choice though. If we can get the sunny wx in here for pool and beach season I can tolerate this now. 

Ideally we'd keep raining a lot until June and then basically go well below average precip in the summer. Broken only by a few good tstorms. But it prob won't work that way.

It's been a tough 365 for me personally... (seeing as everyone asked). 

Last summer was largely disappointing for both convection ...and what I believe was a shirked pattern of splitting the heat south of New England, such that above normals were comparatively dimmed over what they "could have been".  That's sort of a hypocrisy (I admit) because it is not like I enjoy upper bound torridity, but, when the heights show ridging, but the thickness seems to always magically shunt S, that left huge thermodynamic gaps the whole time - and it reflected physically because we drought-ed that summer into Autumn "dew" to the related lower DP that happened from that thickness shunting.  For someone that does take an interest in heat wave morphology/synoptics, that overall persistence felt personal - weird.  

Then, this winter comes on ...and for completely other reasons, we started getting shirked for cold-season fan fair in the same vein.  We clawed and scraped our way to average ...hell, maybe even a little above (who knows) but most events were f'ed over for weird permutations that could not have been modeled, but happened like all the f'n time.  

It's been a year of default disappointment at least excuse imaginable - that's been the governing theme.  

In reality, it's probably been just normal... and, we probably are a bit acclimated to the notion of extremes, seeing as we'v had some wild ones both locally and abroad spanning the last 20 years.  Since the mid 1990s, we've seen hottest this, coldest that, wettest this, windiest that, hurricaneyist this, tornadicational that, blizzardacious hard-ons and the specter of global warming....   So, having a nominal heat summer, followed by a nominal cold/snow event winter ... it may seem unjust ...if only seems that way. 

I was just thinking...  we've already put two full winters in the book since the epic February of 2015 - that has to have been the fasted (perceptive) two-year span in the history for flyin' time.  

simply wow - 

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

I wouldn't mind a Jul/Aug with some decent cP airmasses. We haven't had a good one of those since 2007 IIRC. One of those deals where we're pulling a 65/42 day in early July. It breaks up the monotony of summer a bit.

Last 4th of July was a good cool shot iirc. I don't have the data handy, but pretty sure even you struggled for 70. 

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

BGM 39F at noon. Congrats.

Maybe that's us tomorrow.  BTV has highs in the upper 30s to mid 40s for its non-Champlain Valley zones.  

Monday...A chance of snow showers in the morning. Cloudy with a chance of rain showers. Highs in the mid 40s. Northwest winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 50 percent.

43 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Last 4th of July was a good cool shot iirc. I don't have the data handy, but pretty sure even you struggled for 70. 

2015 maybe? My numbers have 82/53 here on 7/4/16. The year before was 67/51. Still, I'm thinking something another SD colder. 7/1-2/07 was 65/46 and 68/44 here. Maybe it's not a lot cooler, but it always seems to take a high end cold shot for July standards to push a daily 10HDD. I remember the 2007 July race at NHMS was on 7/1. The clouds came in during midday and by the end of the race it was breezy with light rain showers and upper 50s. Every year raceday seemed to be sunny and brutally hot in the stands so it was quite a different feel compared to the norm. It was cool enough that the trashy girls with confederate bikinis kept their clothes on.

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

2015 maybe? My numbers have 82/53 here on 7/4/16. The year before was 67/51. Still, I'm thinking something another SD colder. 7/1-2/07 was 65/46 and 68/44 here. Maybe it's not a lot cooler, but it always seems to take a high end cold shot for July standards to push a daily 10HDD. I remember the 2007 July race at NHMS was on 7/1. The clouds came in during midday and by the end of the race it was breezy with light rain showers and upper 50s. Every year raceday seemed to be sunny and brutally hot in the stands so it was quite a different feel compared to the norm. It was cool enough that the trashy girls with confederate bikinis kept their clothes on.

Maybe it was the 3rd? I forgot about 2015. 

Nothing says 'spring fail' like my ZFP:

This Afternoon
Numerous showers. Cooler. Near steady temperature in the lower 50s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.
Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Scattered rain showers in the evening, then scattered rain and snow showers after midnight. Colder with lows in the mid 30s. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 30 mph, decreasing to 20 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure my Christmas '15 was warmer than my July 4 '16.

BOS had 88F last July 4. There was nothing sub 70F until the 8th. You guys must be thinking of 2015. That was a crapfest here until some late clearing. We were able to barely manage the fireworks in Meredith. 

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

BOS had 88F last July 4. There was nothing sub 70F until the 8th. You guys must be thinking of 2015. That was a crapfest here until some late clearing. We were able to barely manage the fireworks in Meredith. 

I think 2014 and 2015 we're back to back cruddy wet cool July 4ths.   Last 4th was great

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Yup, you're totally right. I was thinking of two years ago. Forgot I was in Boston for the 4th last year and it was toasty.

Enough of a break in the rain showers for a hike with the pup.... temps falling up here, maybe some snow dusts the higher els late tonight and tomorrow morning.

The great melt continues.  The natural snow line has hit 3,000ft or so just for reference.  Snowmaking producing sleet-like ratios is extremely tenacious.

Now its time to "Shut 'em down."

18319404_10102977712686770_1342152422093

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Enough of a break in the rain showers for a hike with the pup.... temps falling up here, maybe some snow dusts the higher els late tonight and tomorrow morning.

The great melt continues.  The natural snow line has hit 3,000ft or so just for reference.  Snowmaking producing sleet-like ratios is extremely tenacious.

:huh: ... wasn't that last month -

52 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

18319404_10102977712686770_1342152422093

Still snowmaking in May?

That trail to the right lools to be in decent shape still.

7 hours ago, dendrite said:

IMG_1688.JPG

I'll have to double check the bird exchange rates, but I'm pretty sure 1 scarlet tanager is equal to 4 indigo buntings.

I have a new bird to report today, a very pretty black and white striped bird that behaves just like a nuthatch.  Got a good identification:  the black and white warbler.  

Getting a little stressed that my hummingbirds aren't here yet. 

Just now, eekuasepinniW said:

I'll have to double check the bird exchange rates, but I'm pretty sure 1 scarlet tanager is equal to 4 indigo buntings.

I have a new bird to report today, a very pretty black and white striped bird that behaves just like a nuthatch.  Got a good identification:  the black and white warbler.  

Getting a little stressed that my hummingbirds aren't here yet. 

They arrived at our feeders today!

Archived