Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, snywx said:

Aren't the GFS ensembles well nw of the op?

They seemed to be all over the place between amped and a sheared out mess like the GGEM has. 

Just saying the NAM goes crazy sometimes and comes back to earth. The Euro ticked SE from its last run, the GFS is what I just said, and altogether there is a lot of uncertainty. For several runs the NAM had something like 30" in NYC for the Feb 2013 blizzard and reversed itself practically as the storm was underway. I wouldn't weenie out until the more reliable models come on board. 

Just now, White Gorilla said:

Won't the position of the low depend on how far south the frontal boundary sags?  What factors would influence that progression?  What are projected teleconnections?

Yes but also a slower solution could mean the trough amplifies like the NAM has and gives the best snow inland. There might also be some interaction with the northern stream which would intensify the low more. 

17 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Won't the position of the low depend on how far south the frontal boundary sags?  What factors would influence that progression?  What are projected teleconnections?

Currently, the teleconnections are forecast to be EPO-/PNA+/AO-. Some dates during the 2/1-15/1981-2010 period that saw snowstorms with an EPO-/PNA+/AO- pattern:

February 7-8, 1986: 4.5”
February 11, 1986: 4.5”
February 14, 1986: 0.3”
February 9, 1987: 0.4”
February 12, 1987: 2.4”
February 2-3, 1996: 7.5”
February 14, 1996: 2.0”
February 5, 2001: 3.5”
February 11-12, 2006: 26.9” (2/12 saw the AO go positive)
February 2-3, 2010: 1.0”

3 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Just inland say 20 miles we stayed all snow and was a total paste job from late afternoon through the evening

NJSnow-05Feb01.png

That was a real sockdollager of a storm.  I was in New Haven, Ct. at the time and we got blasted with 15".  Sure, not the 18-24" that areas to my N got, but the dynamics were amazing with that one ... recall that snuck up on folks, as well.  2-3"/hr of heavy wet snow in the late morning/early afternoon, then some sleet and a dry slot, and then another 3-4" on the backside.  

Definitely in my top 10.  

1 minute ago, danstorm said:

That was a real sockdollager of a storm.  I was in New Haven, Ct. at the time and we got blasted with 15".  Sure, not the 18-24" that areas to my N got, but the dynamics were amazing with that one ... recall that snuck up on folks, as well.  2-3"/hr of heavy wet snow in the late morning/early afternoon, then some sleet and a dry slot, and then another 3-4" on the backside.  

Definitely in my top 10.  

Yes I think the forecast in Morristown where I was was 3-6" and most of the morning didn't seem like much but around 3 started to come down heavily. I left work at 4 and didn't get home til 9 and I lived 12 miles away

4 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Currently, the teleconnections are forecast to be EPO-/PNA+/AO-. Some dates during the 2/1-15/1981-2010 period that saw snowstorms with an EPO-/PNA+/AO- pattern:

February 7-8, 1986: 4.5”
February 11, 1986: 4.5”
February 14, 1986: 0.3”
February 9, 1987: 0.4”
February 12, 1987: 2.4”
February 2-3, 1996: 7.5”
February 14, 1996: 2.0”
February 5, 2001: 3.5”
February 11-12, 2006: 26.9” (2/12 saw the AO go positive)
February 2-3, 2010: 1.0”

Thank you so much!  You are such a fountain of weather knowledge!

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

The NAM was actually much cooler this run aloft thanks to the stronger dynamics. I think you want a stronger system, even for the immediate coast.

The best case scenario down here is something like the GFS or Euro except a bit stronger so that there's more precip and cold air-something like the 12z NAM today. This last run was really nice but any more amped and the dry slot is overhead, and there's tons of mid level warm air. 

3 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

FWIW, the NAM shows the following high temperatures on Wednesday ahead of the storm:

BDR: 59°
FOK: 54°
HPN: 62°
ISP: 58°
EWR: 68°
JFK: 62°
LGA: 66°
MMU: 58°
NYC: 67°
POU: 54°

Doesn't bode well for extremely marginal surface temps near the coast. We need a colder dynamic solution or a Euro solution.

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived