Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Pretty significant negative changes on the GFS.... shows how tough this setup is.

Truly is thread the needle. As of now... it appears the NAM is the only one really do that 

I think a 3-6" event is on the table - perhaps a bit more... but anyone expecting a major event is likely setting themselves up for disappointment.  Fast mover + marginal airmass = temper expectations.

23 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The GFS might be cooling the surface down too slowly, but the onset of precip even with this run would still be rain or slop near the coast with temps around 40. We will need the heavier rates to cool the column down.

The GFS soundings at JFK at hour 60 at start of precip are now 36/29.  The soundings thereafter easily look like snow to me. 

the city is looking like the mean for this event as of now. still uncertain details as surface temps,the building high pressure and actual lp strength to be determined by wednesday's early runs possibly,we still a lot of time to track but it's looking better for us coastal folks. def wouldnt mind seeing another 5+ inch event here..

52 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Most members that have anything significant focus just N+W of the city, obviously in those members the city still does just fine, with the exception of a a few 

theres a good amount of nam like Solutions, be weary of that GFS op.. hasn't had a back to back solution yet... flip, flop repeat 

IMG_1649.PNG

These must have really poor resolution, they seem to pretend Long Island is under water. 

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

These must have really poor resolution, they seem to pretend Long Island is under water. 

Those things don't really take into account evaporative cooling either.  Any event where you're above freezing to start by more than a couple of degrees it usually shows no accumulation.

I looked for giggles, srefs are wayyyyy out of their range.... inside 24-36 hours is there best timeframe... but regardless, they're not great

of the 26 members here's the %probability of seeing >6", once you drop to >3 it goes up a bit but most the area is only 30-40% still... again srefs are useless this far out, but someone asked 

IMG_1651.PNG

5 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I haven't looked at the srefs since Jan 15'... they broke my heart 

Every model has its utility. It is pure amateur ignorance to avoid SREF's. Within the next 12 hours, they will be of more use. In short, they have been very volatile the past 24 hours. However, most recent run showed generally swath of accumulating snow for N NJ into NYC and the LHV. Their probabilities remain low due to a large spread. 

11 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I haven't looked at the srefs since Jan 15'... they broke my heart 

35 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The SREFs have rarely been mentioned this winter by people it seems.

That's partly because we haven't had anything significant to look at all Winter where we were worried about an offshore track or a southern slider. This is really the first threat all Winter where this comes into play. Still early though.

13 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Every model has its utility. It is pure amateur ignorance to avoid SREF's. Within the next 12 hours, they will be of more use. In short, they have been very volatile the past 24 hours. However, most recent run showed generally swath of accumulating snow for N NJ into NYC and the LHV. Their probabilities remain low due to a large spread. 

It was a joke dude.... 

and the srefs are terrible this early, inside 36 is when they should be used, and even that's being generous 

• Rjay pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived