Newest Member
    joxey
Countdown to Winter 2017-2018 Thread

eyewall

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it's very true.  Hopefully the gradient doesn't go 100 miles north, then we are dumbfounded up here lol.

Eh, you'd need more like 200 miles to screw you....you are like 150 miles north of moneypitmike and Hippyvalley. They did just fine in '07-'08.

41 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Eh, you'd need more like 200 miles to screw you....you are like 150 miles north of moneypitmike and Hippyvalley. They did just fine in '07-'08.

That's true, I'm really bad with distances, ha.  

It was more the point of how sharp the gradient was from epic snows to average snows to below average.  

I think New England's geography though greatly helps in not being screwed in SWFE like south coast and lower.  Even if the gradient was further north, maybe it's 3-5" then sleet instead of 6-10".  It's still wintry.  

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That's true, I'm really bad with distances, ha.  

It was more the point of how sharp the gradient was from epic snows to average snows to below average.  

I think New England's geography though greatly helps in not being screwed in SWFE like south coast and lower.  Even if the gradient was further north, maybe it's 3-5" then sleet instead of 6-10".  It's still wintry.  

This is absolutely true. The geography is a huge reason why SWFE are even a wintry system to begin with in New England. You don't really see them produce much in the Midwest. They don't have the natural CAD mechanism and local enhanced baroclinic zone to their south which produces such tight gradients and increased ageostrophic flow. 

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is absolutely true. The geography is a huge reason why SWFE are even a wintry system to begin with in New England. You don't really see them produce much in the Midwest. They don't have the natural CAD mechanism and local enhanced baroclinic zone to their south which produces such tight gradients and increased ageostrophic flow. 

Yeah at DVN your only hope was a well timed high pressure, but it never developed in situ like it can in New England. Even then, you would rarely see the rain/snow line wash out as it came north since there was no mechanism to keep it in place.

25 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah at DVN your only hope was a well timed high pressure, but it never developed in situ like it can in New England. Even then, you would rarely see the rain/snow line wash out as it came north since there was no mechanism to keep it in place.

Lord giveth; lord taketh away, too ... 

Come mid late April, that large scale physical circumstance ain't bringing people snow - it's bring only "mist"ery. ...guess ya can't have it both ways.

I have actually seen two or even three synoptic translations succeed over the top of "stranded" cold mud season sludge that can tuck in east of the Berk's and west of the Ocean... Province Town can be 70 F while it's 48 at Worcester to Nashua for f sake!  

Maybe not that weird but jesus.. The average 2,000 els west, and the marine boundary layer east, is really like a cosmic scaled bowl of cat puke in spring.  If I had my druthers, I'd load up the life and wife and head outta here like a lucky prom night from April 3 until May 10.  

I guess folks would never trade their winter event's cheating colder for benefiting off those topographical effects if it ever meant warm April and Mays  

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Me either

deep snow.jpg

* Not my sled but you get the idea!

Reminds me of breaking trail when I worked in the Allagash-St. John country.  Ride until you paunch the sled (but IMMEDIATELY release the throttle so you don't end nose-up-tail-down like this guy), wrestle the machine around - fun in chest-deep snow - then head back down and do a U-turn, wash-rinse-repeat.  It was amazing how much sweat could be produced on a subzero day.

Eh, Its not like a BM track that you would be smoking cirrus, Those SWFE spread the wealth if your on the right side of the gradient.

IIRC, folks well north of the St. Lawrence shared in that winter's bounty.

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Reminds me of breaking trail when I worked in the Allagash-St. John country.  Ride until you paunch the sled (but IMMEDIATELY release the throttle so you don't end nose-up-tail-down like this guy), wrestle the machine around - fun in chest-deep snow - then head back down and do a U-turn, wash-rinse-repeat.  It was amazing how much sweat could be produced on a subzero day.

Eh, Its not like a BM track that you would be smoking cirrus, Those SWFE spread the wealth if your on the right side of the gradient.

IIRC, folks well north of the St. Lawrence shared in that winter's bounty.

We have a lot going in our favor for good snows on these types of events, Being close to the cold air source is quite favorable in this setup, Sometimes not so much on coastals.

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Lord giveth; lord taketh away, too ... 

Come mid late April, that large scale physical circumstance ain't bringing people snow - it's bring only "mist"ery. ...guess ya can't have it both ways.

I have actually seen two or even three synoptic translations succeed over the top of "stranded" cold mud season sludge that can tuck in east of the Berk's and west of the Ocean... Province Town can be 70 F while it's 48 at Worcester to Nashua for f sake!  

Maybe not that weird but jesus.. The average 2,000 els west, and the marine boundary layer east, is really like a cosmic scaled bowl of cat puke in spring.  If I had my druthers, I'd load up the life and wife and head outta here like a lucky prom night from April 3 until May 10.  

I guess folks would never trade their winter event's cheating colder for benefiting off those topographical effects if it ever meant warm April and Mays  

Can't disagree with you here...in a perfect world where I'm already retired in my 30s, I'd be hightailing it the eff out of here after April Fools Day and probably heading to either the western mountains for some spring skiing under bluebird skies or a tiki bar in the Caribbean until mid-May...or both, lol. But I definitely think you nailed that 5-6 week period of the worst of it...of course, we see it sometimes extend into the first half of June...I think it was only last year we had those two days in the 40s to start June...and we've certainly had our share of horrendous Memorial Days (this year just the latest example).

Getting out that airmass is sometimes like trying to flush a toilet bowl with almost no power in the mechanics...you just get a lightly swirling vortex that has no hope of actually flushing.

22 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Can't disagree with you here...in a perfect world where I'm already retired in my 30s, I'd be hightailing it the eff out of here after April Fools Day and probably heading to either the western mountains for some spring skiing under bluebird skies or a tiki bar in the Caribbean until mid-May...or both, lol. But I definitely think you nailed that 5-6 week period of the worst of it...of course, we see it sometimes extend into the first half of June...I think it was only last year we had those two days in the 40s to start June...and we've certainly had our share of horrendous Memorial Days (this year just the latest example).

Getting out that airmass is sometimes like trying to flush a toilet bowl with almost no power in the mechanics...you just get a lightly swirling vortex that has no hope of actually flushing.

I need to convince my in-laws to move their two week time share in St. Thomas to April. I mean it's sometimes nice to jet off in January, but really that's a deep winter month when I don't mind if it is cold and snowy.

38 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

and i mean it just is.. jesus. 

Before that period... you actually have a reasonable chance at adding to seasonal snow totals ...if you got a contender, why not grab that exit petty slop inch or two to bring it over the top.  any later than that time range and you're really not waiting much longer - kind of morally achieved..   

but f if it's april 10 any year.  :arrowhead: ...   the pattern and tele's whirl around that tb like a couple a brown gems  and it only april 10 - like...  oh man.  now i'm in a bad mood.  

f hate april. 

11 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

'07-'08 was such a strong gradient that you could have a very similar winter except maybe 50 or 100 miles south is partying all winter too. It's almost impossible to nail that kind of a gradient twice...though 1970-1971 was pretty damned close. It was probably a little south of the '07-'08 gradient though.

Oh believe me 70 -71 was a lot south of 07 08, relatively speaking in SNE

19 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The NAO region looks better this year but the predictability isn't great on that.

I'm confident that neither the NAO or AO will be a train wreck, but just how favorable remains to be seen.

I feel very good about avoiding the AK vortex of death....so I guess, while I'm not necessarily going for a blockbuster for the majority of the east coast, odds of a ratter are relatively low for our area.....IOW, the height of the ceiling remains to be seen, but the floor is fairly elevated...at least at our latitude.

29 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm confident that neither the NAO or AO will be a train wreck, but just how favorable remains to be seen.

I feel very good about avoiding the AK vortex of death....so I guess, while I'm not necessarily going for a blockbuster for the majority of the east coast, odds of a ratter are relatively low for our area.....IOW, the height of the ceiling remains to be seen, but the floor is fairly elevated...at least at our latitude.

Our floor definitely rises a lot if we avoid the AK death vortex. Our latitude will do enough heavy lifting in most patterns absent the death vortex...only if we got some insane exotic blocking would it become a liability...and even then, not sure that would happen in a La Nina or even weak Nino (see exotic blocking episodes of Feb '69 and huge blocking of December 1995 and March 2001)...I typically only start worrying about exotic blocking when it's a southern stream dominated regime and we don't normally see that until El Nino becomes moderate...and of course, we're not considering El Nino at all this winter.

43 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Agree.  I feel we're going to fairly easily avoid the black hole.

Archived